Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Pearl Masters Drummer

Quote Originally Posted by dnice View Post
    Atlas mounts.
    great idea too!

2. Masters Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Jutt8 View Post
    Looks like you did great job and I'll bet that drum sings more now with the legs than it did when it was mounted. I know for a fact mine did. I love your kit too. Natural rules!! Here is a couple pics of my 15x14 MBX tom that was mounted that I converted to a floor with legs. The sustain was overwhelmingly better once the legs were attached. So glad I did it. Here are couple pics for you to see. Not trying to derail your thread, but wanted you to see it.
    I think I've seen this kit in silver, black, red, natural and platinum mist and some others . I didn't know it came in the green color too. I like it!

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by snickell View Post
    I purchased my Masters Studio BRX kit from someone off Craigslist about 5 years ago. It came with a 22" kick, 12" tom and 14" tom. He also threw in a Pearl steel snare and a DW steel snare but that's beside the point. I couldn't pass up the price. I later purchased a new 16" tom to match.

Recently I got the idea to convert the 14" and 16" mounted toms to floor toms (with legs). It was probably the most nerve racking experience in my drumming life. Just the thought of drilling into perfectly good shells is like nails on a chalkboard to me. As you probably know, the depth of mounted toms can be a bit shorter than those with legs. And, the air hole is right smack in the middle of the shell on mounted toms...I believe it's closer to the batter side on toms with legs. This being my situation, I still decided to go through with drilling holes into the shell. One leg bracket is supposed to be located right below the air hole which presented a little bit of a problem because I wanted to align them exactly as if they were meant to already have leg brackets installed. There was no way around this so, I just drilled below the air hole. My leg brackets aren't exactly where they're supposed to be. They're slightly closer to the resonant side than a normal floor tom's leg brackets would be. Regardless, I'm happy with how it all turned out.

I figured I'd share in case anyone was thinking of doing the same thing or had any questions. I've included a couple pics of the end result. I do have to say that I get a lot more resonance with the legs on than when they were mounted. I love it!
    Look great!!! I'm planning / thinking about doing this on my 14" and 16" hanging floor toms with currently use RIMS and hang from my Pearl Rack... Which brackets / legs did you uses?

Pearl LB40 Leg Bracket
    https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-LB40-Le...SDDE6ZAXR4NF7G

Pearl LG40/3 Legs
    https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-LG40-Ma...DTF34C63HEMHNG

EDIT: These are Pearl LB-200 Floor Tom Leg Bracket's????
    Last edited by wtjohnstonjr; 12-30-2017 at 08:19 PM.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jutt8 View Post
    Looks like you did great job and I'll bet that drum sings more now with the legs than it did when it was mounted. I know for a fact mine did. I love your kit too. Natural rules!! Here is a couple pics of my 15x14 MBX tom that was mounted that I converted to a floor with legs. The sustain was overwhelmingly better once the legs were attached. So glad I did it. Here are couple pics for you to see. Not trying to derail your thread, but wanted you to see it.
    are these pearl brackets???? That's my set / color...

5. Masters Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by wtjohnstonjr View Post
    Look great!!! I'm planning / thinking about doing this on my 14" and 16" hanging floor toms with currently use RIMS and hang from my Pearl Rack... Which brackets / legs did you uses?

Pearl LB40 Leg Bracket
    https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-LB40-Le...SDDE6ZAXR4NF7G

Pearl LG40/3 Legs
    https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-LG40-Ma...DTF34C63HEMHNG

EDIT: These are Pearl LB-200 Floor Tom Leg Bracket's????
    Yes, these are the LB-200 Leg Brackets. And I used the LG40/3 Legs because, at the time, I couldn't find any of the LG200/3 Legs.

6. Masters Soldier

are these pearl brackets???? That's my set / color...
    Yes, everything on the set (as far as hardware goes) is Pearl...except for that Vater cup holder on the hi-hat stand. Here's an updated shot from the front of the kit. I also added a modified CHB830 to the kick for my ride cymbal.

Name:  IMG_2067.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  99.0 KB

7. Registered User

Yes, these are the LB-200 Leg Brackets. And I used the LG40/3 Legs because, at the time, I couldn't find any of the LG200/3 Legs.
    What did Pearl originally use on the Masters Series? LB40 Leg Brackets and Legs ??? LB-200 brackets and legs are used on the "NEWER" Pearls correct?

8. Registered User

Recently I got the idea to convert the 14" and 16" mounted toms to floor toms (with legs). It was probably the most nerve racking experience in my drumming life. Just the thought of drilling into perfectly good shells is like nails on a chalkboard to me. As you probably know, the depth of mounted toms can be a bit shorter than those with legs. And, the air hole is right smack in the middle of the shell on mounted toms...I believe it's closer to the batter side on toms with legs. This being my situation, I still decided to go through with drilling holes into the shell. One leg bracket is supposed to be located right below the air hole which presented a little bit of a problem because I wanted to align them exactly as if they were meant to already have leg brackets installed. There was no way around this so, I just drilled below the air hole. My leg brackets aren't exactly where they're supposed to be. They're slightly closer to the resonant side than a normal floor tom's leg brackets would be. Regardless, I'm happy with how it all turned out.

I figured I'd share in case anyone was thinking of doing the same thing or had any questions. I've included a couple pics of the end result. I do have to say that I get a lot more resonance with the legs on than when they were mounted. I love it!
    Snickel,

The floor toms you made turned out great.

I've done a number of custom modifications to my various Masterworks drums (including drilling, cutting, and bearing edges). It was a little scary at first, but I just try to be extra careful and make sure I use the right tools.

MM
    2020 Masterworks / Matte Black Mist

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 6.5x13 SD

2021 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / Bright Champagne Halo

16x16 KD (verticle), 5x10 SD, 5x8 TT, 5x12 TT

9. Masters Soldier

What did Pearl originally use on the Masters Series? LB40 Leg Brackets and Legs ??? LB-200 brackets and legs are used on the "NEWER" Pearls correct?
    The LG200 Leg Brackets and LG200/3 Legs are used on the Reference kits. I just went with those because I liked the look of them more than the Masters style of brackets. It all worked out in the end because the CHB830's bracket looks almost identical to the LG200 Leg Bracket. I was considering replacing all the lugs with the Reference lugs...but that gets a little too pricey. I did replace the Optimount with the aluminum version instead of the steel, and also replaced the kick spurs with the Reference spurs. So, this looks more like a Masters Premium from the late 1990's or early 2000's

10. Registered User

The LG200 Leg Brackets and LG200/3 Legs are used on the Reference kits. I just went with those because I liked the look of them more than the Masters style of brackets. It all worked out in the end because the CHB830's bracket looks almost identical to the LG200 Leg Bracket. I was considering replacing all the lugs with the Reference lugs...but that gets a little too pricey. I did replace the Optimount with the aluminum version instead of the steel, and also replaced the kick spurs with the Reference spurs. So, this looks more like a Masters Premium from the late 1990's or early 2000's
    Yes... I'm a little confused... ha ha... I am pretty sure the LB40 Leg Brackets and Legs are the style they originally used on the Early Masters Series... and the LG200 Leg Brackets and LG200/3 match the new style they are using on the new Masters line?

11. Registered User

Good choices.

The hole spacing on those different parts are all the same anyway, so you could always switch them later if you wanted to later.

MM
    2020 Masterworks / Matte Black Mist

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 6.5x13 SD

2021 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / Bright Champagne Halo

16x16 KD (verticle), 5x10 SD, 5x8 TT, 5x12 TT

12. Masters Soldier

Yes... I'm a little confused... ha ha... I am pretty sure the LB40 Leg Brackets and Legs are the style they originally used on the Early Masters Series... and the LG200 Leg Brackets and LG200/3 match the new style they are using on the new Masters line?
    Sorry...meant LB200 Leg Brackets and LG200/3 Legs. These are what they use on the Reference, Reference Pure and Masterworks kits. From what I can tell in the pictures from the 2017 catalog, the Masters Maple Complete kits still use LB40 Brackets and LG40/3 Legs. The Masters Maple Reserve kits do use the LB200, though. Think of it this way, The Masters Maple Reserve is like the Masters Premium kits they used to sell a couple years ago in that the spurs, leg brackets, legs and optimounts are the same as what's used on the Reference and Masterworks kits. The Masters Maple Complete kits are like the normal Masters kits where the optimounts are steel (black and chrome), the spurs aren't as bulky, the leg brackets aren't as bulky and the legs have the rough, "grippy-type" of shaft. I believe the Session and Wood-Fiberglass kits have the same hardware as this as well. Also didn't mean to make my last post seem like Pearl made the Masters Premium kits in the late 1990s or early 2000s...I'm pretty sure they did not. I just meant that my kit looks like a Masters Premium but, since it's a BRX, it's from that time frame.