Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Masters Soldier

Wink Converting from Mounted to Floor Toms

I purchased my Masters Studio BRX kit from someone off Craigslist about 5 years ago. It came with a 22" kick, 12" tom and 14" tom. He also threw in a Pearl steel snare and a DW steel snare but that's beside the point. I couldn't pass up the price. I later purchased a new 16" tom to match.

Recently I got the idea to convert the 14" and 16" mounted toms to floor toms (with legs). It was probably the most nerve racking experience in my drumming life. Just the thought of drilling into perfectly good shells is like nails on a chalkboard to me. As you probably know, the depth of mounted toms can be a bit shorter than those with legs. And, the air hole is right smack in the middle of the shell on mounted toms...I believe it's closer to the batter side on toms with legs. This being my situation, I still decided to go through with drilling holes into the shell. One leg bracket is supposed to be located right below the air hole which presented a little bit of a problem because I wanted to align them exactly as if they were meant to already have leg brackets installed. There was no way around this so, I just drilled below the air hole. My leg brackets aren't exactly where they're supposed to be. They're slightly closer to the resonant side than a normal floor tom's leg brackets would be. Regardless, I'm happy with how it all turned out.

I figured I'd share in case anyone was thinking of doing the same thing or had any questions. I've included a couple pics of the end result. I do have to say that I get a lot more resonance with the legs on than when they were mounted. I love it!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. Playing since 1976

I think they look great. Nice job!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

3. Masters Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Thanks! When it came down to it, it ended up being easier than I anticipated.

4. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by snickell View Post
    When it came down to it, it ended up being easier than I anticipated.
    Because it is ... drilling holes into a wood shell isn't rocket science .. as long as you measure 3 times, use a good drill and take your time everything will be just fine and dandy

Lookin' good there

5. Registered User

Atlas mounts.
    [SIGPIC]

6. Masters Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    Because it is ... drilling holes into a wood shell isn't rocket science .. as long as you measure 3 times, use a good drill and take your time everything will be just fine and dandy Lookin' good there
    Thanks...I realize I sound like I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to drilling. All I'm saying is it's a little more intimidating when you're drilling into an $850 piece of wood. And then drilling more holes into a $700 piece of wood. If I would have messed up, I would have been out a drum kit. I don't really have the money to buy a new kit and I don't want to take a kit to play live when there's holes all over it. That's exactly what I did though...measured more than three times, taped it off and marked the tape. Drilled holes with a step bit to prevent blowout and all was good.

7. Masters Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by dnice View Post
    Atlas mounts.
    Those are nice. Haven't seen those before. Call me a snob but, aside from my DW snare, all drums and hardware are Pearl brand for me.

8. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    +1. anyways you look at it, since you decided to transform them into floor toms there was no other choice than drill them, i think lower close to the reso hoops was mandatory for a good aesthetic effect. it went good, maybe they're shallower than regular floor toms, still they look good , doesn't looks like amputated floor toms to me , it's all good..
    Last edited by rollracer; 03-30-2017 at 10:58 PM.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

9. Bad Girlfriend

My 14" and 16" are both mounted but my 18" has legs. I like them like they are but occasionally get the desire to put legs on the 16".
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
    My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

MASTERS ARMY

10. Registered User

Looks great! I would love to see the whole kit!

11. Masters Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by drummer.b.a View Post
    Looks great! I would love to see the whole kit!
    I think these might be the only pictures I have with the addition of the legs and leg brackets.

Name:  IMG_1404.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  94.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_1403.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  77.6 KB

12. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    +1. anyways you look at it, since you decided to transform them into floor toms there was no other choice than drill them
    Drilling wasn't required... see the Atlas mounts. The Atlas mounts replace a tension rod lug housing, and allow for a leg at the same time. However, the Pearl legs look great and function great as well.

Name:  image-4021861359.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  100.7 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE