Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. It takes so long to pack up!

Default 2 Questions: Jungle Gig and CH1030BS

Hi Everyone

I can't seem to get my hands on an 18" or 20" kick anywhere these days but I have an 18" floor tom that I'd like to be able to flip on its side and use the jungle conversion kit. Just wondered, I know it says to use them with a 16" floor... has anyone tried using the JG-16 on an 18" kick and did you have success or failure?

Also, any information on release dates etc for Pearl CH-1030BS short booms?

Thanks a lot.
    www.facebook.com/elcaset

Click 'Like' for a listen and for some up coming show information. Thanks PDF!

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
    Hi Everyone

I can't seem to get my hands on an 18" or 20" kick anywhere these days but I have an 18" floor tom that I'd like to be able to flip on its side and use the jungle conversion kit. Just wondered, I know it says to use them with a 16" floor... has anyone tried using the JG-16 on an 18" kick and did you have success or failure?

Also, any information on release dates etc for Pearl CH-1030BS short booms?

Thanks a lot.
    Hi,

You can make the Jungle Gig adapter work with an 18" floor tom.

I believe there has been a CH-930BS short boom announced, but not a 1030 version.
    2016 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5.5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

3. Purple Crazed

I have no information on the release date for the CH-1030BS but I have had great success with an 18" floor tom JG16 conversion! It fits perfectly.

On a side note for sound quality, I would recommend using an Aquarian Super-Kick (special ordered with a tom collar) for the batter head and a Remo 18" Batter, Powerstroke 3, Ambassador, Fiberskyn, 18" Diameter (P3-0518-FA) .

Also if you ever use die cast hoops, I would recommend adding nylon washers (can be purchased from your local hardware store) to the ISS mount:

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    14x5 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 20x16 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

4. Away From The World

That's sweet Andy!

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

5. Purple Crazed

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    That's sweet Andy!
    Thanks Mike! This is my favorite set up (and another work in progress )

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    14x5 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 20x16 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

6. It takes so long to pack up!

That is awesome!!! Thank you so much!!!

And yeah that kit looks amazing! I'll pick up a JG this week. Also cheers for the tip about the nylon washers. Love those little tips. Cheers.
    www.facebook.com/elcaset

7. Registered User

I tried the jungle gig adapter on a 16" floor tom but was unimpressed. I ended up selling it. When I want to "go small" at a gig I use a 16x20 Yamaha stage custom bass drum. It's small, lightweight and relatively inexpensive.

If you're still considering the jungle adapter, here are my likes and dislikes:

+ takes up small amount of space when packing up
    + saves money by using an existing drum
    + looks cool and hip on stage. Good topic of conversation.
    + micing the bass drum on stage can make it sound reasonably good through creative mixing.

Dislikes:
    - sound quality. I never could get to to sound remotely like a bass drum. Micing the bass drum, however, can alleviate some of the bad sound at the mixer.
    - actually takes more time to set up if you remove the adapter. If you keep the adapter on, you're forced to use a larger case which pretty much negates the value of using the jungle gig adapter in the first place.
    - the legs don't lock into place nearly as well as real bass drum legs. It forces you to really torque down the wing nuts to make it secure. Just a matter of time before you're gonna experience some slippage.

If I'm in your shoes I'm gonna look at three options:

1. Get an inexpensive 20" bass drum. They're just big enough for the beater to strike near the center of the head but are still large enough for a good deep sound. My last 20" Yamaha stage custom 20" bass I bought for $125 about 4 months ago.
    2. Drill baby drill. Purchase the necessary parts and riser to permanently convert your 18" tom to a kick.
    3. Look at buying a used 18" bass drum with a riser.
    Last edited by Andy H; 03-19-2017 at 04:16 PM.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post

If I'm in your shoes I'm gonna look at two options:

1. Get an inexpensive 20" bass drum. They're just big enough for the beater to strike near the center of the head but are still large enough for a good deep sound. My last 20" Yamaha stage custom 20" bass I bought for $125 about 4 months ago.
    2. Drill baby drill. Purchase the necessary parts and riser to permanently convert your 18" tom to a kick.
    3. Look at buying a used 18" bass drum with a riser.
    If you're serious about an inexpensive way to use a 16" kick drum, it's probably best to spend $400 on something like a Pearl Metro kit where you get all the necessary hardware and can use real kick drum heads to get the best possible sound. The Jungle Gig was designed to be a practical option before these smaller "gig" kits became available.
    2016 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5.5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

9. It takes so long to pack up!

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    If you're serious about an inexpensive way to use a 16" kick drum, it's probably best to spend $400 on something like a Pearl Metro kit where you get all the necessary hardware and can use real kick drum heads to get the best possible sound. The Jungle Gig was designed to be a practical option before these smaller "gig" kits became available.
    Thanks everyone. Unfortunately 18's and 20's are rare as hens teeth down here and I've been looking for what seems like years. There was (or maybe still is) a great looking Session kick on eBay but it's in the US. Shipping is horrendous. Maybe I'll continue to play the waiting game then. I just wish there was a Vision 18" or 20" floating around from the run of Bop kits they did but alas, no joy yet.

Cheers again.
    www.facebook.com/elcaset