Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Best move I've done in a good while, had my Z Custom & A Custom mix in use for 17 yrs and as of today I've only got 3 Zildjian Cymbals left out of 2 cymbal bags full. Originally I only had Paiste, first brand I ever used.. I changed just because really.... but I changed music genres, drum brands, Drumhead brands & the Z's weren't speaking the way they once were.... I've opted for a mix of Giant Beat & Signature lines in Paiste..... couldn't be happier :-) Anyone else recently (or not so) just re-invented the wheel "so to speak"??
    Sleishman Drum Co.
    Sia Drums
    Sweet Spot Clutches

Aquarian Drumheads & Vater Sticks
    Paiste Cymbals

Peace & Rhythm to all.

2. Registered User

I'm constantly buying and selling drum stuff. It's kind of a hobby. My "toys" are in constant rotation.

I had a similar experience as you. Over 30 years ago I started with a cheap Pearl steel snare on a Pearl forum kit. I sold it decades ago and played only wood shelled snares. About 10 years ago I bought a Pearl sensitone steel on a whim. I loved it so much I ended up selling all my wood snares and buying more sensitones in different shells.

3. Joeeyysh

oohoho Giant Beats and Signatures, are hard to beat on the bright end of the spectrum. never was a huge fan a Zildjian for watever reason.
    well done!

I used to play Paistes, had a Signature Crash, Dark Energy Crash, hi hats, and ride . loved em! but ended up cracking the hats and crash. overplayed for their volume.. and then moved over to Istanbul Agop, which i'm rocking now!

I too loved buying/ selling gear, but now i'm trying my best to only save, and buy! i end up missing old gear. New and Different can't fill the uniqueness of each piece of gear, which is especially true with Cymbals i feel.

4. psychic warfare

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    I'm constantly buying and selling drum stuff. It's kind of a hobby. My "toys" are in constant rotation.

I had a similar experience as you. Over 30 years ago I started with a cheap Pearl steel snare on a Pearl forum kit. I sold it decades ago and played only wood shelled snares. About 10 years ago I bought a Pearl sensitone steel on a whim. I loved it so much I ended up selling all my wood snares and buying more sensitones in different shells.
    ah yes ..the old el cheapo steel snare....i feel your pain ...lol ...i still cant build up the gumption to even look at steel ...

5. psychic warfare

Quote Originally Posted by Linchdrums View Post
    Best move I've done in a good while, had my Z Custom & A Custom mix in use for 17 yrs and as of today I've only got 3 Zildjian Cymbals left out of 2 cymbal bags full. Originally I only had Paiste, first brand I ever used.. I changed just because really.... but I changed music genres, drum brands, Drumhead brands & the Z's weren't speaking the way they once were.... I've opted for a mix of Giant Beat & Signature lines in Paiste..... couldn't be happier :-) Anyone else recently (or not so) just re-invented the wheel "so to speak"??
    i had something similar ALMOST happen last year.... i was set ,, on sabians after i dunno, 20,30 years with zildjian ? ....then last year we had the meet n greet in dales drum shop ...also they made it zildjian day .. with a zildjian rep and a ton of of cymbals to test out with his help,, i sorted out what cymbals fit what i like .. showing me whats new, and whats coming ,,brought me back ....lol

6. Registered User

I started out on Zildjian (back then it was only Zildjian and Paiste). I got my first Paiste in '83 and played a mix of Paistes until I went full Paiste in the early 90s. I briefly went back to Zildjian in the late 90s, but that didn't last long. Most of the time it's all Paiste for me. I still have an old Zildjian Brilliant ride that I throw up with an otherwise all Zildjian setup from time to time. It's my most mainstream, all-around ride.

7. Registered User

I hear ya, the only 2 Zildjians staying with me are the 14" A Custom Mastersound hats & my 20" Earth Ride (cause it's a really, Really old one)... everything else is gooonne! :-)

Hanging for the dealer to call me Mon/Tues so I can pick up the new Cymbals.

I've still got a couple of 2000 sound reflections Cymbals here too... gonna use the 20" power ride as a crash :-)
    Sleishman Drum Co.
    Sia Drums
    Sweet Spot Clutches

Paiste Cymbals

Peace & Rhythm to all.

8. Paiste-oholic

I've done the 'ol switcheroo twice now. I very briefly played Paiste when I first started in '85, but being a kid, I didn't know you couldn't beat the tar out of the things! So, when those two cracked, they got replaced with Zildjians, which were easier to come by locally. I played Zillys for about a decade before switching. to Sabian. To be dead honest, I was more attracted to the advertising, and the idea they were open to special orders. After 5 years, and then 5 years without playing at all, I went to Paiste, where I've been for 9 years.

9. Registered User

I guess I went the opposite direction. Sold my last Paiste a couple weeks ago. Now all I have is Zildjians and Sabians. Couldn't be happier. Interesting how that works. Our tastes and styles change over time.
    Last edited by Andy H; 03-18-2017 at 06:50 AM.

10. No comment.

I'm in the process of unloading my Paistes in favor of Meinl cymbals (Soundcaster Customs and Byzance Brilliants).
    Mapex | Meinl | Evans | Pro-Mark | Roland
    Mapex Saturn V in Transparent Espresso Walnut
    |16 x 22| |14 x 16| |8 x 12| |6.5 x 14 Black Panther Sledgehammer snare|

11. Registered User

I moved genres... so whereas I was for many years Hard Rock/Metal & various Rock session gigs... The Zildjians worked fine.

Now I've switched to Country Rock & touring again..I changed everything and Paiste Cymbals suit the music a great deal better than my Zildjians were.

Funny how things change... never thought I'd be going back out on the road in a big way at 44 either... ;-)
    Sleishman Drum Co.
    Sia Drums
    Sweet Spot Clutches

Paiste Cymbals

Peace & Rhythm to all.

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by paradiddlediddle666 View Post
    I'm in the process of unloading my Paistes in favor of Meinl cymbals (Soundcaster Customs and Byzance Brilliants).
    That's fair... I have always been partial to Meinl.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN