Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default 24x18 reso, fiberskyn?

Hi from Spain!

Ive playing with my Reference kit many years. Very happy.

I think I can still find some improvement in my 24x18 kick drum.

I began with very very low tunings, buried pedal, but now evolving to higher (relatively) tunings.

I have tried PS3, PS4 both clear as batter and EQ3 frosted and factory coated white as reso.
    I really hate the factory white coated reso (even I made and tried with different holes, tunings, muffling...). I founded pretty interesting the EQ3 frosted factory ported. But not fully satisfying. (did not tried with more tunings, muffling and kickport yet)

I am almost sure my favourite batter is the clear PS3. But, lost with the reso!

My first thoughts are pointing to a Fyberskyn (non ported) as a reso.

The sound Im looking for: frightening. Projection, volume, volume, volume. Chest hit
    how I play: hard hitter, solid, single pedal.
    Rock, indie rock, pop context.

I dont like heavy muffling (in the head itself or additional), I think I lose volume, tone and the money I pay for the woods. The maximum muffling I could agree is the one with Powerstroke line (not sure about the EMADS...). Powerstroke line in kick drum is great to me in a modern context and sound, more muffling not desired, less muffling may too open to me.

Im decided with the Fyberskin as a reso in the 24x18, but not sure the weight:
    - ambassador
    -powerstroke 3
    - powerstoke 3 felt tone
    - (others not in my plans at first)

Users or opinions?
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by xopo; 03-16-2017 at 06:01 AM.

2. Registered User

Nothing?

Do you agree fiberskyn is a good choice for this projected and "chest hit" sound?

Differences in sound with Fiberskyn Diplomat, Ambassador, PS3, felt tone?

If choosing a standard black reso, would you go to PS3?

Thanks again.

3. Registered User

You know what, it sometimes takes going into the next day after you install heads and tune a drum to realize how you are going to work it's potential. I want to share my true philosophy working with drums, that the process of picking out your drums, the drum heads the tuning the set up is an instrument in itself. I know we want the sound we want right now or instantaneously. It is work pulling off heads and re positioning them. To work with tuning the bass drum; I invert it and make it a gong drum or super large floor TOM. Take the kick drum into different room and work alone with it. Look at the legs and my addition of using a TOM post as a third leg. This is a great way to try different configurations of tuning and trying new and different heads.
    Name:  gong bass.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  46.2 KB
    Join Me !

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickDC View Post
    You know what, it sometimes takes going into the next day after you install heads and tune a drum to realize how you are going to work it's potential. I want to share my true philosophy working with drums, that the process of picking out your drums, the drum heads the tuning the set up is an instrument in itself. I know we want the sound we want right now or instantaneously. It is work pulling off heads and re positioning them. To work with tuning the bass drum; I invert it and make it a gong drum or super large floor TOM. Take the kick drum into different room and work alone with it. Look at the legs and my addition of using a TOM post as a third leg. This is a great way to try different configurations of tuning and trying new and different heads.
    Great idea. Thanks for sharing it.
    2016 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5.5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

5. Registered User

Thanks for the answers.

Ive been reading as much as I can about Fiberskyn. Not so lucky finding videos. I am convinced on going with Fiberskyn for the kick reso on the 24x18 Reference.

Sure it will be PS3 with Felt Tone.

Not sure about Diplomat or Ambassador... Nowadays, nearer to choose Diplomat, cause Ambassador plus Fiberskyn finish may be too heavy for a reso, and too dead or dark.

Im searching for volume and projection (in a rock classic warm way), and theory says two play heads may get more potential volume and will vibrate more, and more in time. Actually, I play hard, so not a problem at all.

6. Registered User

Official from Remo: No Ambassador in the Felt Tone, only Diplomat and Hazy.

I was finally convinced with the Ambassador PS3 Felt Tone. Damn! Dont know what to do:

- Fiberskyn PS3 Ambassador (custom, felt, variable dampening if neccessary)
    - Fiberskyn PS3 Diplomat Felt Tone

7. Naked & Famous

As an alternative to the fiberskyn if you can't get what you want take a look at the Aquarian Modern Vintage with a felt strip. I use one on my 24" Bubinga & it sounds like what your looking for. It's a single ply head with a single felt strip attached & nothing else. It's supposed to mimic the old calf skin sound...I wouldn't know since I've never used calf skin but it thumps hard. It's also not white ...kind of an aged yellowed look?? I don't have mine ported & I've paired it with a Super Kick 1 batter. I know it's not the fiberskyn look but if you can't find what you're looking for then it's worth considering.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

8. Registered User

thanks for your answer!

Will keep thinking... I like Fiberskyns beacause of the sound, but I wont lie, also because of the look. Sure sound goes first than looks.

9. Naked & Famous

Quote Originally Posted by xopo View Post
    thanks for your answer! Will keep thinking... I like Fiberskyns beacause of the sound, but I wont lie, also because of the look. Sure sound goes first than looks.
    Looks wise they are pretty unique. I'm sure there are other options sound wise. I'd imagine you could get in the ballpark with a few different choices.