Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 39
  1. The Hardware Guy

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London-ish
    Posts
    14,487

    Default And so for my next quest....

    I've been lucky enough to obtain two of my unicorns - an 8x8 CZX tom and the CF-9114D carbon fibre Free Floating snare. Both took an absolute age to find and acquire, and both travelled many thousands of miles to get here, but I'm thankful I managed to get both. So, in the spirit of my epic quests to find rare, hard to find drums, I am actively looking for another unicorn - a carbon fibre shelled Super Gripper snare drum, which I believe (and I could well be wrong) would be CF-714DX.

    I've only ever managed to find one, in Michigan back in 2011, and sadly I couldn't tempt it away from the seller. So once again I call upon my PDF brethren - if one of you might find one of these drums, PLEASE pass the details onto me so I might try and snag it!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Thrush; 05-26-2018 at 07:54 AM.

    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

  2. No Drum on Shabbas!!

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    13,776

    Default

    I'd love to get my 14x5 Pearl Masterworks Carbon fiber snare back. There is one on ebay for like $500. I don't have that kind of cash at the moment. But dude... you could go the Masterworks route. It's not the same, but you could get the shell made and have them use lugs that have the same hole spacing as the supper gripper snare lugs and then swap them for the gripper lugs. Not the same, but it might be easier than chasing unicorns. But you have successfully done that twice already. So you may just be lucky again.

    DESPERATELY SEEKING A MHX BASS DRUM WITH A BB-3 TOM MOUNT IN WINE RED

  3. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    17,306

    Default

    Other than looking freaking cool, are there any different sonic properties to Carbon Fiber?
    Way Too Much Crap

  4. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Jersey Shore & BKLYN
    Posts
    18,571

    Default

    It's a bit drier than fiberglass which fits right in between metal and wood. I personally think Pearl's has a bit boxier of a tone compared to the CF Tempus I've heard and definitely the fiberglass Jenkins-Martin and GMS/Tempus I own.

    I don't know how thick the Pearl that I played was, the GMS/Tempus I have is incredibly thin and the CF Tempus is even thinner, which may play a part in it.

  5. The Hardware Guy

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London-ish
    Posts
    14,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big King View Post
    I'd love to get my 14x5 Pearl Masterworks Carbon fiber snare back. There is one on ebay for like $500. I don't have that kind of cash at the moment. But dude... you could go the Masterworks route. It's not the same, but you could get the shell made and have them use lugs that have the same hole spacing as the supper gripper snare lugs and then swap them for the gripper lugs. Not the same, but it might be easier than chasing unicorns. But you have successfully done that twice already. So you may just be lucky again.
    It's completely different shell construction. The MW Carbon-ply is a maple shell with CF inner and outer ply, whereas the CF GLX above (and my CF F.F.S.) are 100% carbon - thin wall shell, ~3mm or so (maybe less, I lost my callipers)

    The other side of it is the fun is in the search. I know I may never find it, but it's kinda fun to search for ages and then if I do find it, it's a great ending. Also, it's the unicorn I want, so a substitute isn't gonna cut it.

    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

  6. The Hardware Guy

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London-ish
    Posts
    14,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Other than looking freaking cool, are there any different sonic properties to Carbon Fiber?

    My first CF snare was a 13x7 Rocket Shells, which I still have and is still main snare numero uno. It's a fantastic drum, with a roughly 1/4" thick carbon and composite shell. Also has carbon fibre lugs, which keeps the weight down. Regular triple flanged hoops (don't think they're 2.3mm hoops, could be) keep the sound a bit more open rather than drying it out as die-cast hoops can. So much tuning range, incredibly sensitive, and depending how you play it, it's warm like maple with a ferocious bark like metal. Love that drum!

    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

  7. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Jersey Shore & BKLYN
    Posts
    18,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    My first CF snare was a 13x7 Rocket Shells, which I still have and is still main snare numero uno. It's a fantastic drum, with a roughly 1/4" thick carbon and composite shell. Also has carbon fibre lugs, which keeps the weight down. Regular triple flanged hoops (don't think they're 2.3mm hoops, could be) keep the sound a bit more open rather than drying it out as die-cast hoops can. So much tuning range, incredibly sensitive, and depending how you play it, it's warm like maple with a ferocious bark like metal. Love that drum!
    Do you have a picture?

  8. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    17,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    It's completely different shell construction. The MW Carbon-ply is a maple shell with CF inner and outer ply, whereas the CF GLX above (and my CF F.F.S.) are 100% carbon - thin wall shell, ~3mm or so (maybe less, I lost my callipers)

    The other side of it is the fun is in the search. I know I may never find it, but it's kinda fun to search for ages and then if I do find it, it's a great ending. Also, it's the unicorn I want, so a substitute isn't gonna cut it.
    I feel this exact way about my stolen Harley. I search eBay and Craigslist on an almost daily basis on the .0000001% that I'll see it. I know it'll never happen, but still I persist. Man I miss that bike.
    Way Too Much Crap

  9. th droids yerlookn4

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    5,625

    Default

    ive always wanted a carbon fiber kit
    my first kit was a tama fibrestar, so i like the idea of having a kit you can just leave in high humidity.and crappy weather conditions and not worry ,,,, also the CF shells,, i was told,for example, rocket shells sounded similar to a loud birch kit , with the volume level of metal that i play ...that'll work ...lol
    Last edited by 2 basses4life; 02-03-2018 at 12:04 AM.

  10. The Hardware Guy

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London-ish
    Posts
    14,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Do you have a picture?



    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

  11. The Hardware Guy

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London-ish
    Posts
    14,487

    Default

    Still no joy yet...

    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

  12. th droids yerlookn4

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    5,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I feel this exact way about my stolen Harley. I search eBay and Craigslist on an almost daily basis on the .0000001% that I'll see it. I know it'll never happen, but still I persist. Man I miss that bike.
    i some times spot my old gear , from many years on eBay , and the local music store its been more than a decade , and it still ****** me off but its not as bad as when i was first robbed

    that being said i'm still reserving a special place in hell for the &$$$&^%% who stole my kit

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •