Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Registered User

I'm gonna be trying Emperors on my Gretsch kit soon. I currently have Aquarians response 2 clears and while they sound good, they seem to be hard to dial in on these drums. The R2s have a more plasticy sound than Remo and Evans to me. I even tried Texture Coated 1plys and they were horrible on my Gretsch New Classics
    For Sale on Ebay
    For Sale on DrumForum.org
    Gretsch Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Aquarian

2. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    im thinking of a b.ob. kit in the future(black on black) and i think some nice white emperors would look great ...and also be good head selection as, i could nt even think using "not- emperors " on my tom batters ..lol
    sounds like a plan and white heads always look great on black kits

The smooth white emps are made different than clear Emps .. they also sound different

Clear Emp = 2 ply at 7mil each

Smooth White Emp = 2 ply at 7.5 mil each

Smooth white Emps have more low/mid range and are darker sounding than the clear Emps
    80's Pearl G/M series in Emerald Forest WoodDye-10x8, 12x8, 14x10, 16x16, 18x16, 22x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in CherryRoseWine WoodDye-12x8, 13x9, 15x12, 16x14, 18x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in factory Walnut Lacquer - 14x10, 18x16, 22x14, 26x14
    PDP Birch - 10, 14, 22

3. psychic warfare

Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    sounds like a plan and white heads always look great on black kits

The smooth white emps are made different than clear Emps .. they also sound different

Clear Emp = 2 ply at 7mil each

Smooth White Emp = 2 ply at 7.5 mil each

Smooth white Emps have more low/mid range and are darker sounding than the clear Emps
    isn't that the same as the emperor classics?

4. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    isn't that the same as the emperor classics?
    You mean the Vintage Emperors? .. well yeah .. 2 ply - 7.5mil head construction .. but the smooth white Emps use a different film than the clear Emps which doesn't sound the same
    80's Pearl G/M series in Emerald Forest WoodDye-10x8, 12x8, 14x10, 16x16, 18x16, 22x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in CherryRoseWine WoodDye-12x8, 13x9, 15x12, 16x14, 18x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in factory Walnut Lacquer - 14x10, 18x16, 22x14, 26x14
    PDP Birch - 10, 14, 22

5. psychic warfare

Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    You mean the Vintage Emperors? .. well yeah .. 2 ply - 7.5mil head construction .. but the smooth white Emps use a different film than the clear Emps which doesn't sound the same
    yeah,thats what i meant ..lol.

6. Thwunk

I've been using Evans g2's recently, but gonna switch to Emperors when I next change them, as I think they'll get me closer to the sound I want - which is quite controlled and dark, but with still a good clean cutting attack...
    HHX & 70s Zildjian New Beat hats, K crashes, Bosphorus & Agop rides
    Snares: Yamaha Bamboo Custom 6.5x14 & 5.5x14 / Ludwig Classic Maple 8x14, LB402B (COB Supraphonic 6.5x14), Acrolite 5x14
    Pearl Reference Pure (matte walnut) / Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute (plum lacquer)

7. Mountain Man

Quote Originally Posted by croomz View Post
    I'm gonna be trying Emperors on my Gretsch kit soon. I currently have Aquarians response 2 clears and while they sound good, they seem to be hard to dial in on these drums. The R2s have a more plasticy sound than Remo and Evans to me. I even tried Texture Coated 1plys and they were horrible on my Gretsch New Classics
    Evans heads on tons sounded VERY plasticky toms ive tried them on.
    Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218

8. Registered User

Clear Emperors over clear Ambassadors on my BCX and that is the combination for me. All matter of preference of course, but i find that this combo gives me the sound that i want; full, deep and open sound that has enough low, mid and high. I had clear Ambassadors tops and bottoms when i got it, but found that combo lacking in the lows.
    Pearl BCX in Lava Bubinga | Pics
    22x18 (2), 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 14x6.5" Pearl Kapur snare drum

Pearl VBA in Dynamite Burst | Pics
    22x18, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x14, 14x5.5 matching snare

Alesis DM10 | Pics

9. Mountain Man

Quote Originally Posted by iCe View Post
    Clear Emperors over clear Ambassadors on my BCX and that is the combination for me. All matter of preference of course, but i find that this combo gives me the sound that i want; full, deep and open sound that has enough low, mid and high. I had clear Ambassadors tops and bottoms when i got it, but found that combo lacking in the lows.
    Ambassadors as batters I've found to be pretty boingy , but in sure they would work on certain kits/genres.
    Last edited by scooterdavis; 03-24-2017 at 01:37 AM.
    Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218