Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default VSX Head questions

So a little while back I picked up a 6pc Vision VSX in champagne sparkle for gigging in the sizes I have been looking at for some time. 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 20. I had been wanting a wrapped kit with a smaller kick for some time and the price was right. Also, the only issue it had a some small hoop rash from the pedal. These things look brand new. My question is, I want to replace the heads and didnt know what any of you thought about selection. These are the 6/8 ply Visions and didnt know what may sound better for them. I.E. different heads/plys from rack toms to floors? I ask cause of the different ply layup on these drums. I have a Tama SCP (all birch) and rum Aquarian Super 2's on them and get a great sound with the thin shells. Any input, experience or advise is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Unban nik12

VSX is a birch/basswood shell. In my experience, they prefer mid tunings, so you'll want a clear 2 ply to get some extra low end out of them, so Response 2 would probably be your best bet

3. Registered User

I had the same set in gun metal sparkle .. I sold it a few years ago and bought 'up' into the MCX series. I love my MCX's but I'm really sorry I sold my VSX kit. I used it to gig a lot. I used Evans EC2 clear batters and Remo Black Ambassador reso's .. Powerstroke 2 batter and EMad reso on the kick. I thought those combinations sounded killer on those drums ..
    Drumz62
    Pearl MCX Diamond Glitter, Morgan Rose, Slingerland Hollywood Ace, Sabian AAX Dark

4. AndyOwnsDrums

I gig my VSX almost weekly. I would LOVE to find a 20" kick VSX set! Nice score!

Currently, I run clear EC2's over G1's on my toms, and it's great! I have run coated G2's over G1's, and that's been awesome as well. In some smaller rooms I've played in, I'd throw a moon gel on the G2's, thus why I decided to try the EC2's. I have an EMAD 2 on the kick batter, and a smooth white EQ3 (with port) on the reso.

5. Registered User

I have to agree with the EC2 clear and G1's on the bottom. I've gigged G2's on top but EC2's seem to hold up longer and project better for me. I tried EC2 frosted and in choked all sizes. Remos don't last for me and I stopped using pinstripes a long time ago.
    I don't use different heads due to the different shell thickness. Love my VSX's. I have been gigging with them since 2007 when the first and best version was released. 8-14TT, 16,18FT & 2-22" kicks. #437 Gunmetal sparkle.
    MLX maple (prep for stain)
    8X8 |10x10 | 12x10| 16x16 | 18x16 |22x16 | 24x16
    2007 VSX Birch Ply 6/8 Gunmetal Sparkle
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x11 | 16x16 | 18x16 | 22x18
    Paiste 2oo2,s Sound Reflections & Sound Formula
    MCX 1465S/C Maple; '80's FF 1435 Brass; 90's FF 1435 Maple; Joey 1365

6. Registered User

Seems to be common to run a clear 2 ply head as batters. I've tried a few combos and have stuck with clear G2's on the rack toms over G1's with clear EC2'S on the floor toms. The EC2's really control the floor toms and give you that gut busting punch. The most notable change is switching from G1's as resos to Evans resonant glass. The G1's give you a lower overall tone with a shorter sustain while the resonant glass series gives you a brighter sound with a little more sustain.
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/album.php?albumid=260

Pearl Export
    10", 12", 14"F, 16"F, 22"B

Pearl Vision VSX
    10", 12", 13", 14"F, 16"F, 22"B

7. Registered User

I agree with ADrummersdad. My advice is to choose your heads based on the genre and style of music you will be playing. Coated batters will provide more "warmth." Clear heads should give you a more defined attack. Two ply heads will generally reduce sustain. Find out what works best for your playing. Ask your bandmates. Record and listen. Check out videos to see what other drummers who play a similar style to your music are playing. And I think its a good idea to replace your resonant heads too....

BTW, nice looking kit. I use one just like it (except for the kick,) in a local recording studio. That kit has Evans Hydraulics on the batters...and an EMAD on the kick.
    oldstroke in CA

8. Registered User

Another thought, depending on your music type but I run coated Ambassador batters on my 8 & 10" toms to help open them up a bit and coated Emperors on 12,14ft, 16ft. I found that The coated 2 ply heads on the smaller toms were choking them with hardly any sustain. The coated 1plys really let the smaller toms sing.

9. Registered User

Thanks to all of you for the responses and input. I ended up going with Aquarian for batters. I had new Evans G1's and have used them as reso's before and liked the results. I went with Super 2's on the toms and SK1 on bass with a ported regulator on the reso side. They sound great like said with a mid tuning. I have a gig tonight so I will try and grab some pics. First time gigging with it and cant wait to see the champagne sparkle under the lights. Its nice having all the sizes for different situations. I primarily use 12, 16 toms, sometimes add the 10 and love having the smaller 20 kick. I have also got down to 2 cymbal stands with the use of clamps and add-ons and memory locks. So much easier on the load ins and the disassembly of everything. I think i have it down to like 10 minutes. A lot better than the old days.