Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Numb Stomper

Quote Originally Posted by Master88 View Post
    I agree, DW collectors are the best sounding kit I've ever played and you described their sound perfectly, " Warmer, Rounder, Fatter sound".which I love compared to the higher pitched thicker shells of my MCX. The only thing that keeps turning me away from them is the price. I just don't see the value in paying what they want for them, even tho the re-sale value is outstanding, I very seldom sell any of my kits. Maybe one day I'll see things different but for now, my Pearl Masters does all I ask it to.
    For $4K+ I agree with you. I was able to grab my DW's (10/12/14/16/22) as new, old stock on closeout from Guitar Center for $2,400. Still a lot of money, but more in the ballpark. If you want a DW kit, shop used. At the same time, the MCX is a really excellent kit and deserves way more respect than it gets, IMHO.

2. A Passion Play ...

I completely agree with your MCX assessment josh.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Icon 501. Masters MCX Chestnut Fade
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by joshvibert View Post
    For $4K+ I agree with you. I was able to grab my DW's (10/12/14/16/22) as new, old stock on closeout from Guitar Center for $2,400. Still a lot of money, but more in the ballpark. If you want a DW kit, shop used. At the same time, the MCX is a really excellent kit and deserves way more respect than it gets, IMHO.
    When I first bought my MCX, I tried everything including every head combination imaginable to get that DW deep fat sound from them, I finally realized that it just wasn't going to happen. I did end up swapping the die cast hoops for fat tone hoops and it really opened the entire kit up a good bit with a lot better tuning range. I'm very satisfied with the sound even tho the deep fat tone just isn't there.

4. Registered User

Depends on what your used to. I played Export kits for years. When I found the Sessions Elite kit for cheap it opened my ears to the joy of a better wood kit.

Now that I have a MCX kit, it's like night and day. They are amazingly thunderous and warm. I love the tone they have and that's with used Pinstripes still on them.

I haven't even mic'ed the MCX yet. I'm almost afraid to! I've lived here 17 years and no complaints from the neighbors yet. But when I do mic them...it maybe a different story.

I've never played a DW kit because, well....they're not Pearl! DW does make a nice throne though!

5. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Master88 View Post
    When I first bought my MCX, I tried everything including every head combination imaginable to get that DW deep fat sound from them, I finally realized that it just wasn't going to happen. I did end up swapping the die cast hoops for fat tone hoops and it really opened the entire kit up a good bit with a lot better tuning range. I'm very satisfied with the sound even tho the deep fat tone just isn't there.
    Pearl makes nice maple shells, and so does DW, but they are constructed very differently. The MCX shell is 7.5mm thick, and the DW standard collector's series maple shell is less than 5mm thick. The differences don't end there. DW's True Tone hoops really make toms sing, yet they are stronger than die cast hoops. They are also nearly twice as thick as Fat Tone hoops. Another difference between DW and the rest of the brands are their tension rods. They have approximately twice as many threads per inch as standard tension rods. This is a nuisance if you need a replacement quickly, so you have to be prepared. However, my point was that it is easy to fine tune a DW drum with the finer threads. Pearl drums are really nice, and you get that "Pearl sound." But they are not going to sound like DW drums, for many reasons.
    My website ===> CLICK HERE
    My eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    My facebook page ===> CLICK HERE
    My YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Pearl makes nice maple shells, and so does DW, but they are constructed very differently. The MCX shell is 7.5mm thick, and the DW standard collector's series maple shell is less than 5mm thick. The differences don't end there. DW's True Tone hoops really make toms sing, yet they are stronger than die cast hoops. They are also nearly twice as thick as Fat Tone hoops. Another difference between DW and the rest of the brands are their tension rods. They have approximately twice as many threads per inch as standard tension rods. This is a nuisance if you need a replacement quickly, so you have to be prepared. However, my point was that it is easy to fine tune a DW drum with the finer threads. Pearl drums are really nice, and you get that "Pearl sound." But they are not going to sound like DW drums, for many reasons.
    Your right, they truly are made totally different. Have a different feel, sound. I'm a big fan of the DW sound, but like you said, you won't get that sound from an MCX kit. I still wait for the day when Pearl offers up a thin shelled Maple Mahogany kit with that low fat thunderous tone that so many love.

7. Playing since 1976

Thin, all-mahogany shells with sharp 45 "Masters" edges will give you deep, low, fat sound, but with attack, provided by the edges. That combination sounded really nice to me.
    My website ===> CLICK HERE
    My eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    My facebook page ===> CLICK HERE
    My YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE