Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Best Cajon Crash Cymbal?

I'm just getting into cajon playing and want to add a nice crash cymbal - something pretty dark and trashy but can cut.

I'm thinking of either getting a Zildjian K Custom Dark Splash 12" or Paiste PST8 16" cajon crash. Not sure if using a splash cymbal is suitable though? Open to other suggestions as well. Thanks.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumwiz View Post
    I'm just getting into cajon playing and want to add a nice crash cymbal - something pretty dark and trashy but can cut.

I'm thinking of either getting a Zildjian K Custom Dark Splash 12" or Paiste PST8 16" cajon crash. Not sure if using a splash cymbal is suitable though? Open to other suggestions as well. Thanks.
    Drumwiz,

I often play a cajon kit for church gigs. I'd recommend using no larger than a 12" splash because you don't want to overwhelm the volume of the cajon.

Also, if your planning to use your hand to play the cymbal, it needs to be a very thin cymbal. Something like a Zildjian K or a Meinl Byzance will give you a dark, slightly trashy, controlled splash-crash sound.
    2016 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5.5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT