Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Blisco View Post
    I've had the exact opposite experience with a variety of kits. Evans never just sit well on the edge, yet Remo's drop right on and evenly seat. Huh?
    I'm going to attribute that to brand, maybe the minute difference in shell diameter? I am glad to be able to get Remo heads to sound good on this kit, growing up there was Remo or Remo heads, so I used them for a long time. It's all sentimental, but nice still

2. Registered User

I get your point, but that's a silly reason to discredit a product. What is Remo in business to do? Operate a forum?
    Good question. Because... where there's smoke, there's fire.

A few years ago I interviewed at a company, was unimpressed with the way the place looked and pulled the plug. What bothered me? Weeds growing in the parking lot, untrimmed hedges, gang graffiti, old trash laying around, dingy dark offices, etc... Generally, if something looks bad, it usually is. A few years after I turned down the job, the place pulled up stakes and moved to Mexico.

Similar situation when I'm buying used stuff on Ebay. If I see a "great deal" sometimes I'll pass it by if I see something in the ad that troubles me.

3. Registered User

I had coated ambassadors on my Remo yard sale Acousticon kit..I changed them for Evans EC2 clear.
    I've been using Evans since 1980, but I tried the Remos just as an experiment.
    2017 Decade Maple 5pc, Gibraltar rack, Zildjian, Humes and Berg, ..Pearl P122TW
    2015 Ludwig Breakbeat
    2012 DDrum Reflex RSL 5pc

Yamaha SD-493 brass snare..Pearl m1270 maple 12x7 snare.

Twitter https://twitter.com/Inaband

4. Get Down On It

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    Good question. Because... where there's smoke, there's fire.

A few years ago I interviewed at a company, was unimpressed with the way the place looked and pulled the plug. What bothered me? Weeds growing in the parking lot, untrimmed hedges, gang graffiti, old trash laying around, dingy dark offices, etc... Generally, if something looks bad, it usually is. A few years after I turned down the job, the place pulled up stakes and moved to Mexico.

Similar situation when I'm buying used stuff on Ebay. If I see a "great deal" sometimes I'll pass it by if I see something in the ad that troubles me.
    Good points. Impressions, right or wrong are still impressions.
    Ludwig Keystone in pewter glass 8X10, 9X12, 16X16, 18X22, 6.5X14 LC663 CopperPhonic
    Sabian cymbal non-endorsed endorsee since 1982

5. Get Down On It

Quote Originally Posted by inaband View Post
    I had coated ambassadors on my Remo yard sale Acousticon kit..I changed them for Evans EC2 clear.
    I've been using Evans since 1980, but I tried the Remos just as an experiment.
    Every time I try Evans tom or snare heads, I'm befuddled by their poor seating and inability to tune up. Pick any 5 high end kits. Every one gave me trouble. So, I've been a Remo guy for snare and toms.

Interestingly, I can't stand Remo bass drum heads strictly for feel and sound. I'm an Evans EMAD fan. Go figure.

Experimenting can be fun and expensive. I will just stick to what I know works for me. Resistance is sometime futile.
    Ludwig Keystone in pewter glass 8X10, 9X12, 16X16, 18X22, 6.5X14 LC663 CopperPhonic

6. Registered User

Same for me... Remo on everything, except bass.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

7. Mountain Man

Every time I try Evans tom or snare heads, I'm befuddled by their poor seating and inability to tune up. Pick any 5 high end kits. Every one gave me trouble. So, I've been a Remo guy for snare and toms. Interestingly, I can't stand Remo bass drum heads strictly for feel and sound. I'm an Evans EMAD fan. Go figure. Experimenting can be fun and expensive. I will just stick to what I know works for me. Resistance is sometime futile.
    I too love the EMAD; I've tried Aquarian/Remo. The Aquarians have no tone, and the Remo's sound like a basketball bouncing on concrete. Toms and snare however are Reno all the way; clear emperors and a coated vintage Emperor on my snare works great.
    Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218

8. Get Down On It

Interesting that I'm not alone in my dislike of Remo bass drum heads but adore their snare and tom heads.

How can it be that I love PS3 tom heads but would NEVER put one on my kick? It's a terrible series for bass drums but sings on my toms.

9. Registered User

I am currently using a coated PS3 batter head on my kick, just to give Remo another try now that I have a kick that likes a single ply batter. It's been ok, but what have I learned? I am going back to an EMAD next purchase. Remo has not made a kick head that sounds good to my ears in two decades. Being fair, like the others here I like them for toms and snares minus the seating thing. And I have never found a kick reso head as nice as the PS3, since I prefer a 10 mil reso, and all the Evans reso heads are 7 mil.

10. Registered User

Update,.. I went back yesterday while it was raining and stuck inside all day and took each drum off, put a serious head stretching to each one, tuned them back up and the Coated Emperors sounded SO MUCH better than before. I was actually shocked at how much better... Obviously the Remos require a somewhat major head stretch unlike Evans heads. They even seem to have a warmer, rounder tone than the coated G2... After reading everyone's love on here for Remo heads, I had to go back and try again...

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Master88 View Post
    Update,.. I went back yesterday while it was raining and stuck inside all day and took each drum off, put a serious head stretching to each one, tuned them back up and the Coated Emperors sounded SO MUCH better than before. I was actually shocked at how much better... Obviously the Remos require a somewhat major head stretch unlike Evans heads. They even seem to have a warmer, rounder tone than the coated G2... After reading everyone's love on here for Remo heads, I had to go back and try again...
    For snare heads (Remo) if I want the best and most reliable sound, I put them on, crank them and leave them for a few days, then reseat them and tune them at that point. So, it appears I've come across this before. It's still a process for tom heads, but obviously they're not as tight...
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

12. Paiste-oholic

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    When that place finally died off I figured I'd rather not buy drum heads from a company that can't even manage an internet forum.
    It's funny, but I think Pearl is the only drum company that has a successful forum. The Tama Forum, at least in my opinion, is underwhelming. It reminds me of a forum I added (free!) to my old band's website when we were gigging back in '02. For such an innovative company, it's such a disappointment. And I think it has a lot to do with there being only about a half a dozen posts / day.