Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Has Remo changed something?

I know there are tons of "Remo vs Evans" threads out there but I've found recently that there really is a difference.
    After buying my current MCX kit a couple years ago, I replaced the batter heads with coated g2's. 8,10,12,14ft,16ft. The floor toms sounded great but the 2 plies were a bit much for the high toms but I decided to go ahead and use them until they were worn. Even tho I hadn't used Remo heads in 8-10 years, I decided to try out some coated Emperors this time around. The first difference I noticed is that none of the heads would sit down flush on the bearing edge like the Evans did, which told me that tuning these heads was going to be tough, which is exactly what happened. Once I finally got them tuned, the difference in sound was very noticeable from the Evans heads as they sounded so much thinner and papery with a lot of overtones. After a few different tunings with unsatisfied results, I went back to Evans heads with coated G1 on high toms to help open them up and coated G2 on floors, again, it was like night and day! The Evans heads sat down evenly on the drums and the whole kit tuned up in no time. The Evans seem to have better attack, and a deeper and more rounder tone all around.
    I guess my question is: has Remo changed anything over the past few years? I know a lot of people use them, as I did years ago, so I have no doubt they are quality heads but after this little experience I have to agree that there is a huge difference in the two... At least on my kit anyway!

2. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by Master88 View Post
    I know there are tons of "Remo vs Evans" threads out there but I've found recently that there really is a difference. After buying my current MCX kit a couple years ago, I replaced the batter heads with coated g2's. 8,10,12,14ft,16ft. The floor toms sounded great but the 2 plies were a bit much for the high toms but I decided to go ahead and use them until they were worn. Even tho I hadn't used Remo heads in 8-10 years, I decided to try out some coated Emperors this time around. The first difference I noticed is that none of the heads would sit down flush on the bearing edge like the Evans did, which told me that tuning these heads was going to be tough, which is exactly what happened. Once I finally got them tuned, the difference in sound was very noticeable from the Evans heads as they sounded so much thinner and papery with a lot of overtones. After a few different tunings with unsatisfied results, I went back to Evans heads with coated G1 on high toms to help open them up and coated G2 on floors, again, it was like night and day! The Evans heads sat down evenly on the drums and the whole kit tuned up in no time. The Evans seem to have better attack, and a deeper and more rounder tone all around. I guess my question is: has Remo changed anything over the past few years? I know a lot of people use them, as I did years ago, so I have no doubt they are quality heads but after this little experience I have to agree that there is a huge difference in the two... At least on my kit anyway!
    Remo didn't change anything, but Evans did. About 3 years ago they switched to the level 360 collar which is supposed to fit flat on the bearing edge. The Remos should work fine once they're properly seated.
    Last edited by quicksticks; 01-17-2017 at 06:14 PM.
    Drumming since 1961.
    MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Paiste Cymbals

3. Registered User

I recently put Remo coated Emperor batters and coated Ambassador resos on my toms this past November. I noticed the same thing. The heads did not seat easily or level. I have been using Evans for the better part of 15 years, way before their Level 360 tech, and even then the heads seated easier.

I found that tuning was an absolute nightmare with these Remos. It took me over an hour and a half to get 2 toms tuned up. I also had to tune them higher than I normally do to get the tuning to be anywhere near even at each lug. After playing them a couple times, and then them sitting for about 2 weeks, I had to do some major retuning. It was a little easier than before, and I found that I could go lower this time as well. Fast forward a couple months and now I have them tuned where I normally do, and they sound very good, pretty much on par sound quality wise as the Evans.

So the lessons learned, Remos take a LOT longer to get tuned up due to the time needed to seat and break in the heads. After that they sound very good, I don;t hear any sonic difference. That said, I'll most likely go with the Evans next time due to the ease and quickness of tuning. Since there is no sound difference to my ears, why not go with the ones that are easier to tune?
    Last edited by LDdrummer; 01-17-2017 at 03:34 PM.

4. Registered User

Yeah, I seated the heads, in fact I went back the next day and tried seating them again for good measure but just couldn't get a good sound out of them. I might try them out again and see what happens but I was just surprised mainly of how hard they were to tune up. I don't remember having these issues when I used them a few years ago. Evans 360 heads have spoiled me I guess!

5. Registered User

Remo used to have a really cool forum. I posted there for almost 10 years. One bad moderator (a guy called Crusher) combined with Remo mismanagement ruined the place. In it's last days there were only 3 or 4 of us still posting intermittently. When that place finally died off I figured I'd rather not buy drum heads from a company that can't even manage an internet forum.

6. Feed Your Head!

I like Remo and Evans heads.
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
    My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

MASTERS ARMY

7. Looks That Kill

does anyone here have any experience with aquarian heads?
    DW Performance Satin Tobacco/Ginger Glass
    DW Collectors Eco X Desert Sand
    Yamaha oak Custom Silver Sparkle
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Amber
    Pearl Wood Fiberglass Antique Gold
    Pearl Crystal Beat Ultra Clear

8. Naked & Famous

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    Yes

Excellent product.

9. Registered User

Yes as well. Excellent product, no real complaints. I am still leaning towards Evan solely from the perspective of how easy to tune the level 360 heads are. Other than that, I find that Remo, Evans, and Aquarian all make excellent heads, and all have very similar heads/lines. I could put an Emperor, a G2, or a Response 2 on a drum and be just as happy with the end result.

10. Registered User

Yes, they are excellent. The best thing about them is the coating that is extremely durable (compared to Remo and other brands).

MM
    2016 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5.5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

11. Get Down On It

Quote Originally Posted by LDdrummer View Post
    I recently put Remo coated Emperor batters and coated Ambassador resos on my toms this past November. I noticed the same thing. The heads did not seat easily or level. I have been using Evans for the better part of 15 years, way before their Level 360 tech, and even then the heads seated easier.

I found that tuning was an absolute nightmare with these Remos. It took me over an hour and a half to get 2 toms tuned up. I also had to tune them higher than I normally do to get the tuning to be anywhere near even at each lug. After playing them a couple times, and then them sitting for about 2 weeks, I had to do some major retuning. It was a little easier than before, and I found that I could go lower this time as well. Fast forward a couple months and now I have them tuned where I normally do, and they sound very good, pretty much on par sound quality wise as the Evans.

So the lessons learned, Remos take a LOT longer to get tuned up due to the time needed to seat and break in the heads. After that they sound very good, I don;t hear any sonic difference. That said, I'll most likely go with the Evans next time due to the ease and quickness of tuning. Since there is no sound difference to my ears, why not go with the ones that are easier to tune?
    I've had the exact opposite experience with a variety of kits. Evans never just sit well on the edge, yet Remo's drop right on and evenly seat. Huh?
    Ludwig Keystone in pewter glass 8X10, 9X12, 16X16, 18X22, 6.5X14 LC663 CopperPhonic
    Sabian cymbal non-endorsed endorsee since 1982

12. Get Down On It

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    Remo used to have a really cool forum. I posted there for almost 10 years. One bad moderator (a guy called Crusher) combined with Remo mismanagement ruined the place. In it's last days there were only 3 or 4 of us still posting intermittently. When that place finally died off I figured I'd rather not buy drum heads from a company that can't even manage an internet forum.
    I get your point, but that's a silly reason to discredit a product. What is Remo in business to do? Operate a forum?
    Ludwig Keystone in pewter glass 8X10, 9X12, 16X16, 18X22, 6.5X14 LC663 CopperPhonic
    Sabian cymbal non-endorsed endorsee since 1982