Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kick Drum Mic

1. Registered User

Default Kick Drum Mic

I've been researching kick drum mics for my Pearl Export Series kit. I can't find my tape measure at the moment, but I think that the kick drum is 22". I was reading that certain kick mics works better on certain drum brands. I'm curious what you all use for a kick mic.

Thanks,
    -Adam

2. NO KIT TOO BIG

Can't go wrong with a Shure Beta 52 or an AKG D112.
    Pearl, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA and DW Snares
    Roland, Yamaha and Dauz Electronics

3 Kits and 6 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Adam O'Blivion View Post
    I've been researching kick drum mics for my Pearl Export Series kit. I can't find my tape measure at the moment, but I think that the kick drum is 22". I was reading that certain kick mics works better on certain drum brands. I'm curious what you all use for a kick mic. Thanks, -Adam
    I don't think a drum BRAND would matter. Maybe the material the drum was made of. But even then it would be minuscule. Unless your looking at some high dollar studio / recording session. If that's the case you probably would be behind the studio kit instead of an Export. And they would have their own mics.

Now, that's not a knock on an Export kit. They're great drums. I've owned 4 Export kits.

Are you looking at getting just a kick mic or a set of mics for the kit? It also depends on your budget.

You can get a CAD 7 piece mic set for under $200. That same $200 can buy a single nicer kick mic.

I wouldn't let the size, depth or circumference, shell composition or most of all brand effect your purchase. Get what you can afford.

What type playing are you gonna do?
    Venue size? Just in your home for fun?
    Band practice?

What will you be plugging into?
    Is it yours?

If it's someone else's PA. I wouldn't spend a bundle on a mic you only get to hook up when your with said owner.

And no matter what you buy...keep track of it. They're small and easy to steal.

4. Registered User

I use a Shure Beta 52, but any quality kick drum mic will work. I mount mine internally through a little pipe attached to the kick drum's tom mount. I use about a towel's worth of muffling and a 5" port hole.

If you're just starting out, don't run out and get a $200 bass drum mic. Cheap ones will work playing live till you get your feet on the ground and get accustomed to micing the kick drum.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    Can't go wrong with a Shure Beta 52 or an AKG D112.
    ^^This. Those are simple the two best kick mics I have ever used. I currently own the AKG D112, it was cheaper at the time I bought mine. I would get which ever one of the two I could find for the best price, you really can't go wrong.

6. Registered User

WIERD. The post was up for 5 hrs. And rushdrums24 and myself replied at the same time. There were 0 replies when I read it, so at roughly 2:15 I replied...it just took me longer because I went on a bit!

7. Playing since 1976

I always loved the AKG D112, but I think I might try Audix mics for my next set-up. I really like the sound Jeff Wald and johnkew both get from their kits. So the kick drum mic I'm referring to is the Audix D6.
    My website ===> CLICK HERE
    My eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    My facebook page ===> CLICK HERE
    My YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

8. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I always loved the AKG D112, but I think I might try Audix mics for my next set-up. So the kick drum mic I'm referring to is the Audix D6.
    I have 3 Audix D6 mics and 1 Beta 52 .. they're good on 16 and 18 floor toms too!

ShureBeta52, AKG D112 and Audix D6 are all great bass mics
    80's Pearl G/M series in Emerald Forest WoodDye-10x8, 12x8, 14x10, 16x16, 18x16, 22x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in CherryRoseWine WoodDye-12x8, 13x9, 15x12, 16x14, 18x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in factory Walnut Lacquer - 14x10, 18x16, 22x14, 26x14
    PDP Birch - 10, 14, 22

9. What's in YOUR stickbag?

Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    I have 3 Audix D6 mics and 1 Beta 52 .. they're good on 16 and 18 floor toms too!

ShureBeta52, AKG D112 and Audix D6 are all great bass mics
    agreed...my top 3 kick mics. I'm currently using the D6 in my studio kick (Ref) and Beta52s in my gig kicks (VMX), but I'd use any of the 3 in either situation.

10. Rockin' the Cosmos..

yep .. agreed .. reviews on D6 are mixed though .. some love it - some hate it

Quote Originally Posted by StickS707 View Post
    agreed...my top 3 kick mics. I'm currently using the D6 in my studio kick (Ref) and Beta52s in my gig kicks (VMX), but I'd use any of the 3 in either situation.
    80's Pearl G/M series in Emerald Forest WoodDye-10x8, 12x8, 14x10, 16x16, 18x16, 22x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in CherryRoseWine WoodDye-12x8, 13x9, 15x12, 16x14, 18x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in factory Walnut Lacquer - 14x10, 18x16, 22x14, 26x14
    PDP Birch - 10, 14, 22

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by korch View Post
    I love my AKG D112.
    That's what I use as well. It's my guitarists mic, but I like the sound it provides and would buy one for sure (I don't own any mics yet). We also use one on a bass amp, works well there too.