Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thwunk

Default New (to me!) Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit - got a really good deal

Spotted this on ebay just before Christmas. It's in amazing condition, and came with 3 rack toms (have already sold the 8x8), a matching snare and a full set of excellent hardware. AND a full set of unused Protection Racket cases (incl hardware case!)

Given the condition the price would have been reasonable for just 3 toms and bass drum! After selling my Prestige Session Select kit (which was comparatively battered), the snare, extra tom and bit of hardware, the new kit won't have cost me any money, so I reckon that's a good deal!

Set it up properly for the first time today, to sort out any issues. It looks and feels great.

Took a few photos - they don't really capture how nice this finish is.

I've opted to mount both toms directly on the bases of stands (this happens to be the height I want them at!) with the cymbals on clamps, rather than the other way around - I switched this around between photos, so you can see both. It just looks and feels more solid to me this way...

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  67.7 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  43.6 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  52.5 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  67.9 KB
    HHX hats, K crashes, Bosphorus rides
    Snares: Yamaha Bamboo Custom 5.5x14 / Ludwig Classic Maple 8x14, Black Beauty 5x14, COB Supraphonic 6.5x14, Acrolite 5x14 / Pearl Mahogany Classic Limited Edition / Sonor D505
    Pearl Reference Pure (matte walnut) / Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute (plum lacquer)

2. Thwunk

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  62.5 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  53.0 KB
    Snares: Yamaha Bamboo Custom 5.5x14 / Ludwig Classic Maple 8x14, Black Beauty 5x14, COB Supraphonic 6.5x14, Acrolite 5x14 / Pearl Mahogany Classic Limited Edition / Sonor D505
    Pearl Reference Pure (matte walnut) / Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute (plum lacquer)

3. Rodgers and Jordy!!

2016 PDF FFL Regular Season Champion 11-1 Record

Yes I agree you upgraded nicely there! Love the shells and nice Zildjians also!
    Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Boom stands are for sissies.

4. The Sensitone Guy

I love the kit. Great score.

Like you, I swap out my equipment every once in a while. Over the course of the past year, I've probably sold about 1/3 of what I own and am buying different (used) stuff. It makes things fun.

One thing I never swap out are my Yamaha cymbal stands and hardware. I've incorporated them into all my kits. One thing you may want to do is to replace your clamp-mounted rack tom with a dedicated 3-hole tom stand. In my opinion, it seems to hold the rack tom a little steadier and makes set up and tear down easier. Pearl and Yamaha down pipes are all 7/8" so there's a lot of creative stuff you can do. I've even found some Gibraltar tom mounts that are 7/8" that I can use with my Gretsch Renown kit.

Those rare occasions where I do use the clamps, I'll typically use two clamps positioned about 5" apart. I know it's overkill but I'm all about steady mounting.

Incidentally, it looks like you're going with a 22 - 10 - 14 combination. Very nice. Well done.

5. Registered User

Congrats. Those look like a lot of fun to play!

6. Registered User

Nice drum set. Congratulations!

7. Thwunk

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    I love the kit. Great score.

Like you, I swap out my equipment every once in a while. Over the course of the past year, I've probably sold about 1/3 of what I own and am buying different (used) stuff. It makes things fun.

One thing I never swap out are my Yamaha cymbal stands and hardware. I've incorporated them into all my kits. One thing you may want to do is to replace your clamp-mounted rack tom with a dedicated 3-hole tom stand. In my opinion, it seems to hold the rack tom a little steadier and makes set up and tear down easier. Pearl and Yamaha down pipes are all 7/8" so there's a lot of creative stuff you can do. I've even found some Gibraltar tom mounts that are 7/8" that I can use with my Gretsch Renown kit.

Those rare occasions where I do use the clamps, I'll typically use two clamps positioned about 5" apart. I know it's overkill but I'm all about steady mounting.

Incidentally, it looks like you're going with a 22 - 10 - 14 combination. Very nice. Well done.
    Thanks Andy
    Yes, I'm gonna try out a couple of different configurations with the rack tom set up. I'm pretty happy with what I have, but if I can come up with a better alternative then great. I agree that it's all about stability, it just feels better if everything feels really solid...

And yes, going with the 22 - 10 - 14, the 10 is just big enough for the sound I want, and then I've got the 12 as well so have plenty of options

8. Thwunk

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    Congrats. Those look like a lot of fun to play!
    Quote Originally Posted by purist View Post
    Nice drum set. Congratulations!

Thanks, can't wait to take it to a gig

9. A Passion Play ...

Sweet rig.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

10. Thwunk

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    One thing you may want to do is to replace your clamp-mounted rack tom with a dedicated 3-hole tom stand. In my opinion, it seems to hold the rack tom a little steadier and makes set up and tear down easier.
    Brilliant! This is better again!

Name:  Stand.jpg
Size:  63.5 KB

11. Drumoholic

Nice kit man! My college had 3 Maple Custom kits and they were a joy to play on!
    Church Drummers Army
    Pearl Reference in Scarlet Fade
    Tama Superstar in White Satin Haze
    Pearl - Tama - Zildjian - Vater

12. The Sensitone Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelling_Sheep View Post
    Brilliant! This is better again!

Name:  Stand.jpg
Size:  63.5 KB
    That's EXACTLY what I do. Those Yamaha 3-hole mounts are great. I used them for Pearl, Yamaha and Gretsch (Gibraltar) tom arms.

When I use such a stand to gig, I use little pieces of colored electrical tape on each side of the pipe to quickly identify what goes where when setting up. Heck, even the bass player can figure it out! "Hey Tim, just line up the pretty colors."