Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Thwunk

Default Current snare collection - best I've ever had! :)

Just wanted to share these with you as I'm really really happy with them. I know it's not a huge collection, but there aren't many more that I'd want to add to these (unless I somehow got loads of money and space )

Yamaha Bamboo Custom 6.5x14 and 5.5x14 - the best snares I've ever come across.

Name:  Bamboo Custom 65.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  35.4 KB
    Name:  Bamboo Custom 55.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  37.2 KB

Ludwig Classic Maple 8x14 (Makore finish):

Name:  Classic Maple.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  36.0 KB

Ludwig Supraphonic COB LB402B Limited Reissue 6.5x14
    (pictured with the ridiculously plush case I got myself as a leeeeetle xmas present...)

Name:  LB402B.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  38.0 KB

[others to follow]
    Last edited by Yodelling_Sheep; 01-08-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    HHX hats, K crashes, K & Bosphorus rides
    Snares: Yamaha Bamboo Custom 5.5x14 / Ludwig Black Beauty 5x14, COB Supraphonic 6.5x14 / Pearl Mahogany Classic Limited Edition / Sonor D505
    Pearl Reference Pure (matte walnut) / SonorLite (Scandinavian birch)

2. Thwunk

Ludwig Acrolite (black galaxy sparkle) 5x14 - this is my gigging snare for when I don't want to take any of the above

Name:  Acrolite.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  33.0 KB

Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute 5.5x14 - lovely snare, but I think I'm gonna sell it as I'll always choose the Bamboo Customs or Classic Maple over this (it came with my Maple Custom kit...) EDIT: sold, so not actually part of my collection anymore...

Name:  Maple Custom Absolute.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  35.2 KB
    Last edited by Yodelling_Sheep; 01-20-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    Snares: Yamaha Bamboo Custom 5.5x14 / Ludwig Black Beauty 5x14, COB Supraphonic 6.5x14 / Pearl Mahogany Classic Limited Edition / Sonor D505

3. Paiste-oholic

The bamboos I have always been very curious about. What could you compare them to?

That Ludwig COB Supra I am selling a few things on ebay to raise money to buy. I think that would be great sounding.

4. Thwunk

Quote Originally Posted by Stranjluv101 View Post
    The bamboos I have always been very curious about. What could you compare them to?
    They're not like anything else I've ever played - I'm using an Evans dry snare head, at a medium high tuning on both, and basically they just sound like you'd want an EQ'd, gated, compressed recording of a snare to sound. They've got a bit of everything you want - great crisp attack, warm tone, a bit of warm, controlled ring. Like a mix of really good maple and aluminium snares I guess? And they sound great live and recorded.

There are almost no videos of this snare on YouTube (that I can find anyway) - had a quick listen to this one and it's not far off, tho the mic hasn't captured the brightness of the attack... think of it as a slightly deader, duller version of the real thing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cym3PDx7aLs

5. A Passion Play ...

Looks like a lot of bases are covered with this current collection of snares. We all know there
    will be more snares to come. Beautiful assortment of drums for sure. Thanks for the pics.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

6. Thwunk

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Looks like a lot of bases are covered with this current collection of snares. We all know there
    will be more snares to come. Beautiful assortment of drums for sure. Thanks for the pics.
    Thanks man.
    As for more snares... they're hard to resist aren't they
    My girlfriend recently met a drummer at a random gathering of friends and asked him how many snares he had. He didn't seem surprised by the question (coming from a drummer's girlfriend lol), and he said 13. To which she replied 'oh so having lots of snares really is normal' and texted me to that effect HAHA

7. Banned

Them some pretty snares right there!

8. The Sensitone Guy

I used to own one of the pictured snares: the Yamaha MCA 5.5 x 14; same color and everything. It was, by far, the best wooden shelled snare I've ever owned. I ended up selling it when I grew to prefer the sound of metal snares. Great drum. You'll have no trouble unloading this baby.

9. Thwunk

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    I used to own one of the pictured snares: the Yamaha MCA 5.5 x 14; same color and everything. It was, by far, the best wooden shelled snare I've ever owned. I ended up selling it when I grew to prefer the sound of metal snares. Great drum. You'll have no trouble unloading this baby.
    Yup, already gone
    Really lovely drum, but I prefer my other wood snares, and I just don't have the space to keep it around if I'm not going to play it very often...