Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. mmmmmmm...Brooke Burke

Default Show us your DRUM SOLO

Like the title says, post up a solo video for all to enjoy!

Couple of things, please keep your criticism of others to yourself unless the poster asks for it and if so, make it constructive. If it is included within a song, post the time in the video your solo starts. Mention something that made this solo special for you. There's no reason to be shy, we all do what we do!

Mine starts @ 1:59. I drag right before it starts, I know :P (long *** night behind the kit so I try to relax right before lol)
    I picked this solo because it is completely off the cuff, has some decent dynamics and the random de-tuning with the roto tom just added to its varied flavor. FUN STUFF! (headphones recommended for quality)

Feel free to bash the hell out of me lol

https://youtu.be/Y_UvHj92lvM?t=1m59s
    Tama Starclassic performer in Dark cherry fade
    Sabian cymbals
    Pearl icon rack

Neil Peart is god........

Helen?...you look like a Helen,... Helen let me tell you why I SUCK! - Tommy Boy :p

2. old dog, new tricks

Ok, I found your solo appropriate for your audience but would otherwise be pretty cliche.

Not everyone plays solos. There are killer drummers out there that would never play a solo for whatever reason. Mike Borden comes to mind.

Also, not everyone has the ability to make/post a video, myself included.
    It is said correctly that the law exists not for the just, but the unjust as the just carry the law in their hearts and need not call it from afar.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

3. Drumming Since 1943

Videos of drum solos always make me want to upload a video of me hitting a snare drum. Repetitively.
    Pearl Masters Studio BRX Millennium Mist Artist
    10x8, 12x9, 14x11, 16x13. 16x16, 18x22, 18x22, Eric Singer Sig Snare, MMX 14x5 Snare, 6x12 & 6x15 Rocket Toms
    Pearl Hardware and DW 5000 double pedals

4. Registered User

Sounded good. Not many people have the balls to do a solo, let alone post it. Couldn't see much because of the smoke machine.

5. mmmmmmm...Brooke Burke

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    Ok, I found your solo appropriate for your audience but would otherwise be pretty cliche.

Not everyone plays solos. There are killer drummers out there that would never play a solo for whatever reason. Mike Borden comes to mind.

Also, not everyone has the ability to make/post a video, myself included.
    I play solos, I like to play solos and am able to post them. Also, what audience? LOL
    As far as cliche, what would you suggest? skip the rudimentary and speed, go for the groove ? Not solo at all? Put down the sticks and get a real job...? lol thanks for the reply man!
    Sabian cymbals
    Pearl icon rack

Helen?...you look like a Helen,... Helen let me tell you why I SUCK! - Tommy Boy :p

6. mmmmmmm...Brooke Burke

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Videos of drum solos always make me want to upload a video of me hitting a snare drum. Repetitively.
    I can break out a marching snare and make one for you, if you want. :P

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    Sounded good. Not many people have the balls to do a solo, let alone post it. Couldn't see much because of the smoke machine.
    Thanks man! I was really expecting to get heavily roasted lol, video posts used to be pretty popular around here back in the early days as I remember but I guess just rippin' on the kit is meh... I need to get with the times lmao!
    Sabian cymbals
    Pearl icon rack

7. old dog, new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Dust Of The Stars View Post
    I play solos, I like to play solos and am able to post them. Also, what audience? LOL
    As far as cliche, what would you suggest? skip the rudimentary and speed, go for the groove ? Not solo at all? Put down the sticks and get a real job...? lol thanks for the reply man!
    I meant that your solo is probably similar to what I would do in a bar setting as most people just want to hear you play fast.

It depends on what you think a solo is: is it an opportunity for you to show your chops? Is it when you get to play whatever you want? Or is it the opportunity to actually say something on the instrument.
    It is said correctly that the law exists not for the just, but the unjust as the just carry the law in their hearts and need not call it from afar.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

8. Kennedy Camden

I don't care if you're playing to 30 or 30,000 people, if your solo is more than a minute and a half long, you are boring almost everyone in the audience including other drummers.

9. mmmmmmm...Brooke Burke

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    I meant that your solo is probably similar to what I would do in a bar setting as most people just want to hear you play fast.

It depends on what you think a solo is: is it an opportunity for you to show your chops? Is it when you get to play whatever you want? Or is it the opportunity to actually say something on the instrument.
    Ahhh, I gotcha! The more drunk they are the faster I go ;P Chops always help in the little clubs because you always get those people that come up "Man, your feet are so fast!" lol stuff like that. I think my main inspiration for this was the openness and being off the cuff, a representation of here's what just flows out of me I would have to say. That to me would be my style of soloing and what I wish to express and I think it may be that because I'm typically an over-rehearsed player. I don't like to waste anyone's time in a musical setting.

Thanks man!
    Sabian cymbals
    Pearl icon rack

10. mmmmmmm...Brooke Burke

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    I don't care if you're playing to 30 or 30,000 people, if your solo is more than a minute and a half long, you are boring almost everyone in the audience including other drummers.
    I was just about on the money then! lol I actually agree with you fully (unless we're talkin' Peart) and typically I try to remember to throw some groovey head bobbin' stuff in to keep the attention of the non-drummers, obviously I abandoned that in this solo but it could of helped tie it together better. Thanks for your reply!
    Sabian cymbals
    Pearl icon rack

11. Playing since 1976

I thought your rolls during the solo were excellent. What struck me as "off" were your cymbal crashes, during the groove, before and after the solo. Overall I think you did a nice job.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

12. Drumming Since 1943

I'm a drummer. I dream about drums. I think about them all day long.

And I LOATHE drum solos. The only drummer (to me) who's solos I can watch all the way through are Peart's and even those got a bit pedestrian towards the end there. Before then though, they were musical, they were articulate and they told a story. I've seen/watched solos by some of my favorite drummers and my GOD what wankery. Those Eric Carr solos that everyone loses their minds over? HORRIBLE. I'd rather watch Rocker put shingles on a roof.
    Pearl Masters Studio BRX Millennium Mist Artist
    10x8, 12x9, 14x11, 16x13. 16x16, 18x22, 18x22, Eric Singer Sig Snare, MMX 14x5 Snare, 6x12 & 6x15 Rocket Toms
    Pearl Hardware and DW 5000 double pedals