Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Trying to decide

I have made the decision, conscious or otherwise to refinish my 80's vintage DLX kit. 11 drums in total...Presently it is Wine Red Lacquer showing the Birch grain through the lacquer. I was considering another transparent finish but some work on a spare drum shell revealed that I would damn near have to sand the outer ply off the drum to get rid of the red colour, therefore I have decided to refinish them in a solid finish (non transparent)...HOWEVER, I am wondering...if you had he choice to refinish your own drums or have them custom built, what colour or colours would you choose?

I am partial to greens or yellow and was considering having all the chrome redone to "Black Chrome" but still on the fence. I know certain colours make chrome pop and chrome makes certain colours pop...so trying to decide...

Have at er boys...fire away with your colour schemes.

PS I have the ability to finish these drums in any colours fades, bursts or designs possibly including air brush work, but final finish will be a high gloss finish.
    My wife says I am no longer permitted to buy any more drums...I said okay you cant buy any more shoes...we are presently at an impasse! I see drums...she sees shoes!

2. Meus nomen est Nate.

The cost of refinishing and re-plating will be more than a new kit.
    TOOL

"Thereís a strong correlation between this bandís name and the type of people who listen to their MC Escher butt rock. Hopefully it will be 10,000 more days before they release another album."

3. Drumming Since 1943

Yeah- this sounds like a riDICulous amount of work on a LOT of drums. You sure you want to mess with a classic lacquer kit?
    Pearl Masters Studio BRX Millennium Mist Artist
    10x8, 12x9, 14x11, 16x13. 16x16, 18x22, 18x22, Eric Singer Sig Snare, MMX 14x5 Snare, 6x12 & 6x15 Rocket Toms
    Pearl Hardware and DW 5000 double pedals

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Yeah- this sounds like a riDICulous amount of work on a LOT of drums. You sure you want to mess with a classic lacquer kit?
    YES I am sure..one of the reasons is so that I can get all of my drums to match. Over the last couple of years I have acquired some orphan drums that dont match the colour but do match the series and vintage. I would eventually like to enter the DOTM contest and having had a number of years experience building custom drums I know I can make them better than new again.
    My wife says I am no longer permitted to buy any more drums...I said okay you cant buy any more shoes...we are presently at an impasse! I see drums...she sees shoes!

5. Registered User

Matt black. It looks classy.
    With chrome hardware on the shells too would look great

6. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by doublehammered View Post
    Matt black. It looks classy.
    With chrome hardware on the shells too would look great
    Who's "Matt"?
    Pearl Masters Studio BRX Millennium Mist Artist
    10x8, 12x9, 14x11, 16x13. 16x16, 18x22, 18x22, Eric Singer Sig Snare, MMX 14x5 Snare, 6x12 & 6x15 Rocket Toms
    Pearl Hardware and DW 5000 double pedals

7. Registered User

If it were me, I'd definitely NOT try to sand the shells. Instead; I'd go with some sort of wrap, either a matte black or some kind of sparkle. Another thing I might do is hunt for some sort of non-standard (cheap) wrap that nobody else would use. I recently followed my wife into a fabric store which had rolls upon rolls of all sorts of interesting material. I kind of liked the black vinyl stuff, but there's a dizzying array of options.

8. Playing since 1976

Matte black or white would look nice. If you went with a solid lacquer finish, it might look nice to finish the insides the same color.

I don't think it would be cost effective/entirely possible to black nickel-plate ALL of your hardware... but I would like to see it done. Completely disassembling and reassembling some of those stands and pedals would be difficult.
    My website ===> CLICK HERE
    My eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    My facebook page ===> CLICK HERE
    My YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

9. PDF Bashing Team Cap

I'd probably wrap them in some sort of mint/marine/aqua blue-green sparkle/glitter and keep the chrome hardware. I'd attach the wrap so that it could be removed with little to no damage to the original finish at a later date.

10. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    I'd probably wrap them in some sort of mint/marine/aqua blue-green sparkle/glitter and keep the chrome hardware. I'd attach the wrap so that it could be removed with little to no damage to the original finish at a later date.
    interesting. Could the wrap be held on just by the hardware? If you started the seam under the middle of one set of lugs and went around, you might make it work by using band clamps or cargo straps and drill the holes as you go so the hardware anchors the wrap in place.

Maybe that'll become a new trend in drums... removable and replaceable wrap sleeves that are only held on with hardware. Change the look any time you want! Just like cell phone covers.

(if that becomes an idea, I want my 10% finders fee.)

11. Registered User

A wrap could be a good idea indeed! Or for a lacquer/paint job; i really like the Shadow Grey Satin Moire wrap of the MCC line http://pearldrum.com/common/assets/i...n/MCC-2016.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    Maybe that'll become a new trend in drums... removable and replaceable wrap sleeves that are only held on with hardware. Change the look any time you want! Just like cell phone covers.
    I believe the Roland electric kits had that feature (can't remember the exact type though). Would be a nice thing indeed! Kinda like free floater snares, but with wraps. Cool idea!
    Pearl BCX in Lava Bubinga | Pics
    22x18 (2), 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 14x6.5" Pearl Kapur snare drum

Pearl VBA in Dynamite Burst | Pics
    22x18, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x14, 14x5.5 matching snare

Alesis DM10 | Pics

12. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by iCe View Post
    I believe the Roland electric kits had that feature (can't remember the exact type though). Would be a nice thing indeed! Kinda like free floater snares, but with wraps. Cool idea!
    Indeed. I believe drumming4life (Matt) changed the wrap on his electric kit in his thread.