Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MCX Hoop swap?

1. Hot **** Tamale!

Thank you for the feedback! Much appreciated. I had an mmx kit that had TFH and my current MCX has DCH. I will pick up some TFH for my MCX.
    K3ith R

Pearl MCX/280 - 10x8,12x9,14x14,16x16,18x22
    Ludwig Legacy Classic 24x14, 13x9, 16x16, 18x16
    6.5x14 Supraphonic LM402 Zildjian As, Ks, / Vic Firth 5A

2. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by richie rich View Post
    Die cast hoops: Focused pronounced tone, slightly shorter note. It sounds fuller but doesn't sing as long. These do great with thinner shells to increase the punch. Triple flanged hoops: Open, warm, balanced, longer note with slightly less up-front fullness. Better for thicker shells to help open them up. This is my personal experience and understanding of 10 years of being a gear addict. -DS That is what DS said Quicksticks What I was saying DS gave the best answer - I hope you agree with me Die Cast hoops CONTROL the shell - Some drummers like toms that the hoops control the drum others like hoops that let drum breathe if you will and hoops are softer like plain steel hoops or Super hoop 2 , 2nd point thin shells are in all likely hood are effected more by hoop choice and thick shells not as much are we good - How is South Florida
    All is good. South Florida is great. Temperatures are in the 60's at night and high 70's during the day and it should be that way for a while.
    Drumming since 1961.
    MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Paiste Cymbals

3. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, View Post
    Throw some cast hoops on an aluminum Supraphonic and I bet you dollars to doughnuts you will hear a distinct difference.
    This thread isn't about an aluminum Supraphonic

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by K3ith R View Post
    Thank you for the feedback! Much appreciated. I had an mmx kit that had TFH and my current MCX has DCH. I will pick up some TFH for my MCX.
    I have an MMP (same shells as MMX) that came with diecast. Out of sheer curiosity I swapped them for triple flanged hoops. I cannot discern any meaningful difference. I got noticeable difference from swapping the stock Remo heads for my preferred Aquarians, and I've tuned them all over the place which again noticeably affects resonance and sustain.

But swapping the hoops? Zero change.

5. Hot **** Tamale!

Good to know SC! Thank you!
    K3ith R

6. Feed Your Head!

Rhythm Devil changed from diecast hoops to triple flanged and he loved it. Then he took the next step and traded the Super Hoops 2 for Fat Tone Hoops and he loves them even more. I love Master Cast die cast hoops and wouldn't change now.
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
    My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

MASTERS ARMY

7. Live like an ape-man

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    Rhythm Devil changed from diecast hoops to triple flanged and he loved it. Then he took the next step and traded the Super Hoops 2 for Fat Tone Hoops and he loves them even more. I love Master Cast die cast hoops and wouldn't change now.
    All true. My Ultracast has Fat Tone 1.6 mm hoops too. There is definitely a difference in sound and feel between 2.3 steel flanged hoops and zinc die cast. 1.6 hoops really open the whole drum up...and I'm not just talking overtones either. My drums are entirely unimpeded and I will never go back to heavier hoops.

Pearl Masters Chestnut Fade
    9x12 -10x14 -16x16 -16x18 -18x22 -Ultracast 6.5x14

Paiste Giant Beat 18/20/22 Multi -2002 Medium 18
    Twenty 15 Hi Hat -Zildjian K Custom Medium Ride 20
    Twenty Custom 17/20 Full Crash -30+36 Gong
    Aquarian -Remo -Regal Tip -Pearl Hardware
    Fat Tone Hoops
    Masters Army

8. Hot **** Tamale!

Thank you RD!
    K3ith R

9. Registered User

Swapped out the DC hoops for Fat Tone hoops on my MCX, along with aluminum opti mounts. The FT hoops opened the drums completely up and sound so much better to me. Especially the smaller toms...they now have a much better tuning range than before.. Haven't noticed any de tuning issues that some speak of. Just wish I had done this sooner.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Master88; 01-18-2017 at 06:16 AM.

10. Live like an ape-man

Quote Originally Posted by Master88 View Post
    Swapped out the DC hoops for Fat Tone hoops on my MCX, along with aluminum opti mounts. The FT hoops opened the drums completely up and sound so much better to me. Especially the smaller toms...they now have a much better tuning range than before.. Haven't noticed any de tuning issues that some speak of. Just wish I had done this sooner.
    Nice.

Pearl Masters Chestnut Fade
    9x12 -10x14 -16x16 -16x18 -18x22 -Ultracast 6.5x14

Paiste Giant Beat 18/20/22 Multi -2002 Medium 18
    Twenty 15 Hi Hat -Zildjian K Custom Medium Ride 20
    Twenty Custom 17/20 Full Crash -30+36 Gong
    Aquarian -Remo -Regal Tip -Pearl Hardware
    Fat Tone Hoops
    Masters Army

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm Devil View Post
    Nice.
    Thanks, not that I was unsatisfied with the original MCX hardware setup but this was an attempt to see just what these thicker shells were capable of with lighter hardware etc. I tried the swap on the 10" tom first and was highly impressed in the sound and difference in tuning range and then completed the hardware swap on the remaining toms. Sounds like a totally different kit now instead of being stuck in the mids with such a small tuning range.