Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MCX Hoop swap?

1. Hot **** Tamale!

Default MCX Hoop swap?

Anyone here swap MCX Die cast hoops to Flanged super hoops. Any difference in sound? Please advise...
    K3ith R

Pearl MCX/280 - 10x8,12x9,14x14,16x16,18x22
    Ludwig Legacy Classic 24x14, 13x9, 16x16, 18x16
    6.5x14 Supraphonic LM402 Zildjian As, Ks, / Vic Firth 5A

2. ...A mind like Water...

Quote Originally Posted by K3ith R View Post
    Anyone here swap MCX Die cast hoops to Flanged super hoops. Any difference in sound? Please advise...
    There are lots of threads about this. But here is the bottom line:

Die cast hoops: Focused pronounced tone, slightly shorter note. It sounds fuller but doesn't sing as long. These do great with thinner shells to increase the punch.

Triple flanged hoops: Open, warm, balanced, longer note with slightly less up-front fullness. Better for thicker shells to help open them up.

This is my personal experience and understanding of 10 years of being a gear addict.

-DS
    Selling gorgeous Pearl Session Custom Seqoia Red
    10x8, 12x9, 14x11, 16x16, 22x16. Looking for SMX Addon Toms in either MBF or Carbon Mist!

3. Unban nik12

Nobody will really be able to tell a difference. I like diecast hoops because they hold tuning a bit better than triple flanged, and they're a bit beefier. Cons are that they chew up your sticks a bit faster, but it's worth it

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    Nobody will really be able to tell a difference
    Wrong!

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    Wrong!
    I sincerely doubt you'd be able to distinguish between the two soley by ear.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffed Chimp View Post
    I sincerely doubt you'd be able to distinguish between the two soley by ear.
    I can tell by sound, and by feel. I have die cast, triple flanged and s hoops all set up at the same time in my drum loft. Triple flanged will give you a more open sound, and softer feel under the sticks. Tama die cast hoops are very tall, and if you jump from one kit to another(Tama die cast, to triple flanged) you will really notice a difference in feel.

7. Registered User

I can't hear the difference between the two. I just like the beefier die cast or triple flanged 3.0mm rims because.... well... just because they're thicker.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    I can't hear the difference between the two. I just like the beefier die cast or triple flanged 3.0mm rims because.... well... just because they're thicker.
    OK then.

9. Meus nomen est Nate.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    Nobody will really be able to tell a difference. I like diecast hoops because they hold tuning a bit better than triple flanged, and they're a bit beefier. Cons are that they chew up your sticks a bit faster, but it's worth it
    Throw some cast hoops on an aluminum Supraphonic and I bet you dollars to doughnuts you will hear a distinct difference.
    TOOL

"Thereís a strong correlation between this bandís name and the type of people who listen to their MC Escher butt rock. Hopefully it will be 10,000 more days before they release another album."

10. Registered User

DS wins his comment is closer to how it is ,

Some shells the difference is not as big , take off stock supra hoops and put die cast on you will damn sure hear difference , Die cast are for control s hoops have better tone on thin shells , I ,ll bet the NEW masters maple complete you could tell on an MCX its probably not a big difference and less on a vintage CZX

How about wood hoops on a free floater would that settle it
    For Sale PEARL

BLX 14"x 12" artic '' white

Looking wanted
    14x 6.5 mmx wine red long lug snare
    mmx 12 x9 Wine

11. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by richie rich View Post
    DS wins his comment is closer to how it is , Some shells the difference is not as big , take off stock supra hoops and put die cast on you will damn sure hear difference , Die cast are for control s hoops have better tone on thin shells , I ,ll bet the NEW masters maple complete you could tell on an MCX its probably not a big difference and less on a vintage CZX How about wood hoops on a free floater would that settle it
    What?
    Drumming since 1961.
    MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Paiste Cymbals

12. Registered User

Die cast hoops: Focused pronounced tone, slightly shorter note. It sounds fuller but doesn't sing as long. These do great with thinner shells to increase the punch.

Triple flanged hoops: Open, warm, balanced, longer note with slightly less up-front fullness. Better for thicker shells to help open them up.

This is my personal experience and understanding of 10 years of being a gear addict.

-DS
    That is what DS said

Quicksticks

What I was saying DS gave the best answer - I hope you agree with me Die Cast hoops CONTROL the shell - Some drummers like toms that the hoops control the drum others like hoops that let drum breathe if you will and hoops are softer like plain steel hoops or Super hoop 2 , 2nd point thin shells are in all likely hood are effected more by hoop choice and thick shells not as much

are we good - How is South Florida
    For Sale PEARL

BLX 14"x 12" artic '' white

Looking wanted
    14x 6.5 mmx wine red long lug snare
    mmx 12 x9 Wine