Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffed Chimp View Post
    What's wrong with two extra holes on a bass drum that, if it's a 10 lug, already has 40 screws holding the lugs on plus I don't know, 6 more for the spurs? That's 46 screws before you start considering the air vent holes plus the question of whether there's a massive hole for a tom mount or not.

So in the grand scheme of things just 2 more screw holes for one of these is completely negligible and will make absolutely zero difference whatsoever to the resonance or sound of the drum. Cosmetically provided the new mount remains in place you'll never see the extra screw holes.
    There isnt any problem if you will keep the drum all your life, but if you want to sell in any time, it will affect the price enormously or the opportunity of selling, it will be consider a damage or no original state, specialy in a beautiful reference bass or in a masterwork artwork.

2. Pearl Masters Drummer

Cosmetically provided the new mount remains in place you'll never see the extra screw holes.
    This right here. If you want to change things up and don't want to use the mount for whatever reason, you can't just replace it with a lug and have the interchangeable capability without now having two extra holes or an extra bracket on your kit that looks out of place. Your stuck with the bracket on there. Yes, imo opinion I prefer the interchangeable lug and bracket option. I NEVER once indicated anything regarding extra holes and how it affects sound. You made that up on your own.

3. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Jutt8 View Post
    This right here. If you want to change things up and don't want to use the mount for whatever reason, you can't just replace it with a lug and have the interchangeable capability without now having two extra holes or an extra bracket on your kit that looks out of place. Your stuck with the bracket on there. Yes, imo opinion I prefer the interchangeable lug and bracket option. I NEVER once indicated anything regarding extra holes and how it affects sound. You made that up on your own.
    Because Internet.
    Pearl Masters Studio BRX Millennium Mist Artist
    10x8, 12x9, 14x11, 16x13. 16x16, 18x22, 18x22, Eric Singer Sig Snare, MMX 14x5 Snare, 6x12 & 6x15 Rocket Toms
    Pearl Hardware and DW 5000 double pedals

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jutt8 View Post
    Apologies then - I've seen so many posts in the past decrying any drilling whatsoever into drums for sound reasons that I made the assumption.

5. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    50lb kicks? YES!!!
    haha ... oh yeah
    80's Pearl G/M series in Emerald Forest WoodDye-10x8, 12x8, 14x10, 16x16, 18x16, 22x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in CherryRoseWine WoodDye-12x8, 13x9, 15x12, 16x14, 18x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in factory Walnut Lacquer - 14x10, 18x16, 22x14, 26x14
    PDP Birch - 10, 14, 22

6. Registered User

I wonder if Gretsch will ever do the Renown Purewood LE kits again? It's be cool to see some again with maybe some exotic woods that aren't as typical with drumsets. Since DW owns them and has access to all types of woods around the world It'll be interesting to see the DW influence on Gretsch products in the future
    For Sale on Ebay
    For Sale on DrumForum.org
    Gretsch Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Aquarian

7. Deputy Grand Poobah

Bring Back Z series for Zildjian? What's the A Heavy series, then? Oh, because it has an "A" instead of a "Z" on top of it in ink, now it's inferior product?
    All of the popular Z cymbals are now A heavy. It's been that way for a couple of years now. And with the Kerope and Avedis lines being released as of late, our penchant for heavy metal plates for cymbals is just not there. Move on. I do agree to bring back the Oriental Classic China, and big (20-22") chinas in A and K series, however.

Here's what I'd like to see from Yamaha in particular. coming in two weeks:

Yamaha still has a snare drum problem. The RC snares last year was a start, but needs expanding. The sensitive series needs to return, or call it whatever if you don't want it to be the old name again. Snares in maple and birch, 5.5 and 6.5x14, 6.5x13 in maple. Available in all of the finishes offered in AMH and RC. Bring the price of the drum DOWN with Dynas standard, and charge accordingly for Al Diecast hoops, though it won't be much lower because the RC brass and steel snares have Dynas as standard. But I have a feeling many more drummers would buy a maple snare with Dynas and $100 less out of their wallet, and still have a great workhorse snare. I see many sensitive series snares from the Sakae days still on ebay and in online shops and they haven't sold them, because why pay $587 when they especially don't look like they cost that much??

OR

add an AMH snare size (or two), a 7x14 Live Custom, and two sizes in an RC birch snare (5.5 and 7x14, like steel shell). This "one snare only per line" thing, especially from a company that once offered so many options and sizes of snare drum it could send you spinning, just won't do anymore. I'd say make a PHX snare, but the market is so small for that line, it wouldn't matter either way.

Finishes... I keep reading that comment over and over. I honestly don't think it will move the needle much if they offered more finishes. What I think should happen is integrate the 10 AMH and 4 RC finishes (yes, black and walnut are both the same, so 12 finishes) and add a few more, say 3...like Antique sunburst, a blue sparkle of some sort, and say apple sparkle or gold sparkle fade. Then make it so all of the lines are able to be made into any of those 12 finishes with their appropriate hardware.

I also think that they made a mistake when they priced the RCs above the AMH when everyone expected it to be below (as Japan MCA was above RC back in the day). I don't think Yamaha was expecting big sales from these kits, and continue to push the blended wood kit as much as they can without alienating the diehards. It is also their 50th anniversary, so big things are anticipated for Yamaha this year. Here's to hoping they bring it.
    Yamaha: LC2014-TC1986
    Gretsch: Renown Walnut 10-12-14-20
    Mapex: Meridian Maple 12-14-18
    Rogers: 13-16-22
    Yamaha, Tama, snares
    Zildjian, Sabian cyms, VF Sticks

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by drummaman1 View Post
    Bring Back Z series for Zildjian? What's the A Heavy series, then? Oh, because it has an "A" instead of a "Z" on top of it in ink, now it's inferior product?
    All of the popular Z cymbals are now A heavy. It's been that way for a couple of years now. And with the Kerope and Avedis lines being released as of late, our penchant for heavy metal plates for cymbals is just not there. Move on. I do agree to bring back the Oriental Classic China, and big (20-22") chinas in A and K series, however.

Here's what I'd like to see from Yamaha in particular. coming in two weeks:

Yamaha still has a snare drum problem. The RC snares last year was a start, but needs expanding. The sensitive series needs to return, or call it whatever if you don't want it to be the old name again. Snares in maple and birch, 5.5 and 6.5x14, 6.5x13 in maple. Available in all of the finishes offered in AMH and RC. Bring the price of the drum DOWN with Dynas standard, and charge accordingly for Al Diecast hoops, though it won't be much lower because the RC brass and steel snares have Dynas as standard. But I have a feeling many more drummers would buy a maple snare with Dynas and $100 less out of their wallet, and still have a great workhorse snare. I see many sensitive series snares from the Sakae days still on ebay and in online shops and they haven't sold them, because why pay $587 when they especially don't look like they cost that much??

OR

add an AMH snare size (or two), a 7x14 Live Custom, and two sizes in an RC birch snare (5.5 and 7x14, like steel shell). This "one snare only per line" thing, especially from a company that once offered so many options and sizes of snare drum it could send you spinning, just won't do anymore. I'd say make a PHX snare, but the market is so small for that line, it wouldn't matter either way.

Finishes... I keep reading that comment over and over. I honestly don't think it will move the needle much if they offered more finishes. What I think should happen is integrate the 10 AMH and 4 RC finishes (yes, black and walnut are both the same, so 12 finishes) and add a few more, say 3...like Antique sunburst, a blue sparkle of some sort, and say apple sparkle or gold sparkle fade. Then make it so all of the lines are able to be made into any of those 12 finishes with their appropriate hardware.

I also think that they made a mistake when they priced the RCs above the AMH when everyone expected it to be below (as Japan MCA was above RC back in the day). I don't think Yamaha was expecting big sales from these kits, and continue to push the blended wood kit as much as they can without alienating the diehards. It is also their 50th anniversary, so big things are anticipated for Yamaha this year. Here's to hoping they bring it.
    I think we all feel the same about Yamaha. Surely their Artists are pushing them to do the same.

Their offerings are rather bland.
    For Sale on Ebay
    For Sale on DrumForum.org
    Gretsch Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Aquarian

9. Registered User

I think Yamaha was a real disappointment at last years NAMM. They "brought back" the RC- but to me, that wasn't really exciting- there already IS an RC. And the fact that they priced so ridiculously, made it even worse. YES! to a better variety of snares, and YES! to more finish options! They also need a line of drums to fill the gap between the Stage Customs and Live Oaks. Hopefully they really show up this year!

Club YDF

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Labambawarrior View Post
    I think Yamaha was a real disappointment at last years NAMM. They "brought back" the RC- but to me, that wasn't really exciting- there already IS an RC. And the fact that they priced so ridiculously, made it even worse. YES! to a better variety of snares, and YES! to more finish options! They also need a line of drums to fill the gap between the Stage Customs and Live Oaks. Hopefully they really show up this year!
    This RC really is a different beasty. Just like the live Custom is to the Oak Custom and the Hybrid is to the Maple Custom Absolute which itself was a different beast to the Maple Custom.

More finishes could be great though. But not as muchs as the 50+ they had. Because that didnt that much well either.

More snares are maybe welcome if they work. They had the great Maple Custom Sensitive and now the Hybrid (this even in more sizes) Mega versatile snares (imo the MC, MCS and MHC snares are the best out there) but why bring out snares if people don't buy them?
    Yamaha Drums

#YamahaDrummers
    @YamahaDrummers

www.musiqoundsproductions.com

11. Pearl Masters Drummer

Apologies then - I've seen so many posts in the past decrying any drilling whatsoever into drums for sound reasons that I made the assumption.
    Apology accepted thank you Stuffed Chimp.

12. CHOPPER

I am back in the market for a good wrapped kit... when I get one I am going to put a mount on the kick... these look good!

When you drop a drum putting it into the case!!