Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

I have the toms singing nicely but the kick is gonna take more time to get it just right.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    I have the toms singing nicely but the kick is gonna take more time to get it just right.
    I had the same thing when I got mine, toms were a breeze (I use a tune bot though). The kick was a challenge, I had perfected tuning an export kick up with an Emad2, but nothing I knew before worked the same.

What I eventually found that worked was going back to a single ply batter. I currently have the coated PS3 batter and reso heads. The 2 ply batter just doesn't suit this drum the same . I tune the batter a little higher than I was used to, around 60 Hz on the tune not. The reso I tune to 83 I think. For muffling I have a piece of foam that is very thin, touching both heads spanning the width of the bottom four lugs. I tried the DW hourglass pillow but it's more muffling than I typically use. I did use it for one gig but it came back out and the foam went back in right after.

Long story short....forget what you knew and approach to a little differently. That might save you a lot of time, I experimented with heads for months to get it right.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LDdrummer View Post
    I had the same thing when I got mine, toms were a breeze (I use a tune bot though). The kick was a challenge, I had perfected tuning an export kick up with an Emad2, but nothing I knew before worked the same. What I eventually found that worked was going back to a single ply batter. I currently have the coated PS3 batter and reso heads. The 2 ply batter just doesn't suit this drum the same . I tune the batter a little higher than I was used to, around 60 Hz on the tune not. The reso I tune to 83 I think. For muffling I have a piece of foam that is very thin, touching both heads spanning the width of the bottom four lugs. I tried the DW hourglass pillow but it's more muffling than I typically use. I did use it for one gig but it came back out and the foam went back in right after. Long story short....forget what you knew and approach to a little differently. That might save you a lot of time, I experimented with heads for months to get it right.
    Ah, the ever elusive, perfect bass drum sound!

Thanks for the suggestions. I sure don't want to buy a bunch of heads I don't like. I also have a kick port I may try in this head. I have at least 3 of each batter and Reso in different makes and models. I'll go through those and see if I can find a combo that suits the kit. I've ran the egg shell foams in the bottoms of my kick X 2 Exports. That works great...

4. Registered User

...but in the mean time here's the new set up!

I eliminated the stand for the 12" tom the other day. Today I eliminated the ride stand by getting over my prejudice of some Tama mini booms I own. Not that there's anything wrong with them. They work great. I was just trying to keep the entire kit Pearl.

Squeezed in an 8" Export tom over the FT's and every cymbal I could fit. I'll share more on those later.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

5. Registered User

If it assists your bass drum head conundrum, in common with the other chap who replied I also have a single ply batter on my 20" MMP bass drum and an unported reso. I get ludicrous levels of beautifully warm thump from behind the kit and thunderous, taut boom in front of the kit as a result. It's wonderful!

Heads are Aquarian Super Kick 1 batter and texture coated reso.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffed Chimp View Post
    If it assists your bass drum head conundrum, in common with the other chap who replied I also have a single ply batter on my 20" MMP bass drum and an unported reso. I get ludicrous levels of beautifully warm thump from behind the kit and thunderous, taut boom in front of the kit as a result. It's wonderful! Heads are Aquarian Super Kick 1 batter and texture coated reso.
    I'm quite tempted to try the Super kick.

7. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    I'm quite tempted to try the Super kick.
    Trust me, man, don't get a Super Kick. I tried one on my MCX and it killed all tone. Try a Powerstroke 4, or a Gmad.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    Trust me, man, don't get a Super Kick. I tried one on my MCX and it killed all tone. Try a Powerstroke 4, or a Gmad.
    I'm so confused!

9. Registered User

I haven't tried a superkick on my MRP, but I did use them in my exports.

After lots of trial and error, I found these heads work best for each drum:

Export: Emad2, Superkick 2, or PS4 batters worked best. 1 ply heads always sounded too thin on these drums for me.

MRP/MCX/etc. (6 ply maple) Emad or PS3. I tried the Emad2 and PS4, but both were just too dead for my liking. Never tried a Superkick 1 but I would imagine it is comparable to the other two.

As for the reso head, I cannot find a head that sounds as good as the PS3, and I have never found a better choice for that head.

Going off what I know of your tastes, I would think that any 1 ply batter would be most likely what you are after. The only negative to the Superkick is that if you don't like the felt is not removable, so it is what it is.

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LDdrummer View Post
    I haven't tried a superkick on my MRP, but I did use them in my exports. After lots of trial and error, I found these heads work best for each drum: Export: Emad2, Superkick 2, or PS4 batters worked best. 1 ply heads always sounded too thin on these drums for me. MRP/MCX/etc. (6 ply maple) Emad or PS3. I tried the Emad2 and PS4, but both were just too dead for my liking. Never tried a Superkick 1 but I would imagine it is comparable to the other two. As for the reso head, I cannot find a head that sounds as good as the PS3, and I have never found a better choice for that head. Going off what I know of your tastes, I would think that any 1 ply batter would be most likely what you are after. The only negative to the Superkick is that if you don't like the felt is not removable, so it is what it is.
    Thanks some more. I like having this stuff in MY threads so they are easily reviewable for me later!

11. Registered User

Yesterday I thought it would be fun to play along with some Sublime. I was right. Anyway after playing awhile I decided to tighten the Reso and it made the cd skip afterwards. I love the drums!

12. Registered User

Any info on this snare would be nice. It's a 7x14 LE SST. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images