Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    16" for tone and 14" for convenience.
    14" for tone and 12" for convenience!

2. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    14" for tone and 12" for convenience!
    Forgot it. Play the table and chairs at the venue.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Forgot it. Play the table and chairs at the venue.
    Now that's convenient!

4. Registered User

Those toms sizes seem really convenient as far as setting up.
    i have 10x8 and 12x8 for the same reason as you. I try to sit at a higher level and the drums basically as low as possible and having a shorter
    12x8 makes a big difference.
    as fare as the 22x20 if your really sold on that size i'm sure it will sound great. i took a chance and got a 22x16 and
    am very happy with it's tone sustain and over all sound.

5. Registered User

I had a lot of problems moving a 22X20 bass into my house. I couldnt pass through to the doors lol!

6. Registered User

That extra kick depth gets you nothing but a backache.
    Guru Tour padauk segmented
    Tama Star walnut kit in Japenese sen indigo burst
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select (marbled green metallic)
    Tama Starclassic maple (Caribbean blue fade) and Starclassic walnut/birch (jade silk)
    Sonor Pro Lite blue sparkle

7. Deputy Grand Poobah

7x10 and 7x12 is cool, but most brands are offering either 7x10 and 8x12 OR 8x10 and 9x12. I have the former and I actually like that combo better than the latter combination, but even the latter sounded fine. It's a subjective thing.

I think everyone has said their piece about 20x22 kick drums and I concur. 18x22 is the longest depth I'll do for a 22" bass drum, but recently I have been playing a kit with a 14x22 and it's the bees knees. So fun to play, it sounds better to my ear than my 18" depth bass drum, and it's that much easier to load into the vehicle after the gig is done.

As for floor toms, I like the shorter sustain of 12x14 and 14x16, but 14x14 and 16x16 is still good and actually preferable among many drummers. Yamaha sizes for floor toms (13x14 and 15x16 (length x diameter)) are what's available if you buy Yamaha. They don't do square or fast floor tom sizes, so you get what you get.

But another thing to think about is resale value. You'll buy a kit and after some time you'll say you want something different, or the same sizes but a different wood or wood combination (or acrylic, what have you). The overly custom sized kit will have trouble selling or selling quickly, as well as the custom bling finish or outlandish drum finish/hardware color combination. If you keep your sizes to a general size range that most of us drummers use, you will have better luck with resale of a kit if ever you have the need to sell it.
    Yamaha: LC2014-TC1986
    Gretsch: Renown Walnut 10-12-14-20
    Mapex: Meridian Maple 12-14-18
    Rogers: 13-16-22
    Yamaha, Tama, snares
    Zildjian, Sabian cyms, VF Sticks

8. Registered User

Rack toms are too shallow and the kick is too deep.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by drummaman1 View Post

As for floor toms, I like the shorter sustain of 12x14 and 14x16, but 14x14 and 16x16 is still good and actually preferable among many drummers.
    I found that with higher, resonant tunings the sustain gets longer with shorter depths, not the other way round. A 7x12 will have a longer sustain, but not a smuch tone/headroom as a 10x12.
    7x10, 8x12,12x14, 14x16, 16x22 would be my choice. The deeper the bass drum , the heard you need to hit in order make it sound good. More low end, but less clear in the attack.
    With a 14x22 , this would be a typicalSteve Gadd set-up, going back to the early 80s. No need to re-invent the wheel.

10. Unban nik12

Get a 22x16. It's a misconception that deeper kicks make a drum cannon-like. It just means you have to play harder to get a strong sound out of it. C&C makes 12" deep kicks and I've been lusting for a 13/16/22 with a 12" deep kick

11. Registered User

I've had 2 22x18 kicks and 5 22x16 kicks. I couldn't really tell a huge difference in sound or playability. I like the look of the 18" depth and they seem to be a bit more tonal and the 16" a bit more punchy, but they were all 22" so not a vast difference.

I just wouldn't want to order a bunch of odd size drums just to be unique and then not like the sound of them or looks of them and then be stuck with a kit that no one wants because they are odd balls.

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    I've had 2 22x18 kicks and 5 22x16 kicks. I couldn't really tell a huge difference in sound or playability. I like the look of the 18" depth and they seem to be a bit more tonal and the 16" a bit more punchy, but they were all 22" so not a vast difference.

I just wouldn't want to order a bunch of odd size drums just to be unique and then not like the sound of them or looks of them and then be stuck with a kit that no one wants because they are odd balls.
    Well said. I actually loved the sound and look, of my 22 x 20 Saturn kicks, but they aren't very practical for moving. A 14" and especially a 12" deep bass just looks cheap to me.