Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default MCT 903 - 20/12/14 plus a 10

New to the group.
    I'm thinking about getting a Masters Complete in the MCT903 configuration plus a 10 inch tom. That would be 20x14 / 10/7 / 12x8 / 14x14 I believe. I've tried to find one in person but nothing anywhere from NY to Boston. Has anyone played one in these sizes? Any comments on the 20 inch kick or 14 inch FT? Hoping they will still have just enough boom for rock/blues but still let me get a softer jazz type tuning on 3 pieces when I need it. Appreciate any opinions.

2. Registered User

Forks had one set up the other week in the Bombay Gold Sparkle 10", 12", 14" floor and 20" kick, all with stock heads. I didnt touch the tuning.

My friend and I were both really impressed with the volume and low end of the 20" kick. Lots of attack and presence and would sit well in a rock gig.

The 12" tom and 14" floor tom weren't in tune and sounded a bit dead, but the 10" was in perfect tune and was wonderfully musical and produced a powerful clear tone with no downward pitch bend.
    BLUE MIST TRIBE
    --THE O-ZONE RIDERS--
    -ACROLITE ARMY-
    ELX,Youtube page

3. Pearl Masters Drummer

Quote Originally Posted by RYDREW View Post
    New to the group.
    I'm thinking about getting a Masters Complete in the MCT903 configuration plus a 10 inch tom. That would be 20x14 / 10/7 / 12x8 / 14x14 I believe. I've tried to find one in person but nothing anywhere from NY to Boston. Has anyone played one in these sizes? Any comments on the 20 inch kick or 14 inch FT? Hoping they will still have just enough boom for rock/blues but still let me get a softer jazz type tuning on 3 pieces when I need it. Appreciate any opinions.
    There is no question that those sizes will be extremely versatile. Those drums come with pinstripes, and as we know, they are pre-muffled. With a simple head change you will be able to change your sound nicely. Those drums with clear G plus (G12) over clear G1 or clear ambassador would be sweet.

4. Unban nik12

Why not get 12/14/16/20? Use the 16" for rock and the 14" for jazz

5. Registered User

Default Sizes

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    Why not get 12/14/16/20? Use the 16" for rock and the 14" for jazz
    This is a very good idea, and I did think about it. My reasoning for going with the 10 is:
    1. Adding the 16 is a lot more expensive than adding a 10. So I figure try it this way first as the 10 is not that expensive. I can add the 16 later if I don't get what I want from the 14.
    2. I usually play 1 up and 1 down but want the option of a third tom. I'm 61 years old and can't make the turn so well to the second floor like I used to, so adding the 10 gives me the option of a third tom without the physical issue.

Like I said, your idea was something I thought seriously about but decided on the 10.
    Kit is ordered and should be here soon.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

RYDREW

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by drummerbryan View Post
    Forks had one set up the other week in the Bombay Gold Sparkle 10", 12", 14" floor and 20" kick, all with stock heads. I didnt touch the tuning.

My friend and I were both really impressed with the volume and low end of the 20" kick. Lots of attack and presence and would sit well in a rock gig.

The 12" tom and 14" floor tom weren't in tune and sounded a bit dead, but the 10" was in perfect tune and was wonderfully musical and produced a powerful clear tone with no downward pitch bend.
    Thanks. That makes me feel good about my decision on the 20. The tuning will certainly make or break it, but I am not that worried about the high toms, I'm sure they will sing.

How did they look in the Bombay gold sparkle? I'm getting the vermilion (red) but it should have a similar look to the gold.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jutt8 View Post
    There is no question that those sizes will be extremely versatile. Those drums come with pinstripes, and as we know, they are pre-muffled. With a simple head change you will be able to change your sound nicely. Those drums with clear G plus (G12) over clear G1 or clear ambassador would be sweet.
    Thanks for the review and head suggestion. I tend to like coated heads, but might try your suggestion. I ordered the kit in vermilion (red) and will probably play it as is for a bit to get the feel, then maybe work on the heads in a couple months. Thanks again.

8. Pearl Masters Drummer

Thanks for the review and head suggestion. I tend to like coated heads, but might try your suggestion. I ordered the kit in vermilion (red) and will probably play it as is for a bit to get the feel, then maybe work on the heads in a couple months. Thanks again.
    Sweet, I don't think there will be one ounce of disappointment in your decision. Pearl Masters drums are unquestionably some of the best out there. At least I think so ; ).

9. Registered User

I just purchased the MCT 903...20x14, 12x8, 14x14. Matte black mist finish. I just got them last week. Out of the box they blew me away. I haven't had a chance, or the desire, to change heads or tune them. IMO the bass drum is the best part. It sounds SO GOOD.
    Just a little background....I stopped playing the drums seriously in the mid '90s. About 10 years ago I started dabbling back in the drums and eventually did some gigs and recording with my old band. I still had the MLX (24, 12,13,14,18) I bought in 1991that I would set up in various 4 piece configurations. Last winter we finished our basement and put a family room in for our kids to use. I wanted to set up my drums again but wanted a small kit that could tuck into a corner and have a very small footprint. Almost pulled the trigger last year on the DW with the 20x12 BD. Then Pearl came out with this line and configuration. I've only had it for a short time but it is everything I hope it would be. Sounds great and looks awesome!

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7273 View Post
    I just purchased the MCT 903...20x14, 12x8, 14x14. Matte black mist finish. I just got them last week. Out of the box they blew me away. I haven't had a chance, or the desire, to change heads or tune them. IMO the bass drum is the best part. It sounds SO GOOD.
    Just a little background....I stopped playing the drums seriously in the mid '90s. About 10 years ago I started dabbling back in the drums and eventually did some gigs and recording with my old band. I still had the MLX (24, 12,13,14,18) I bought in 1991that I would set up in various 4 piece configurations. Last winter we finished our basement and put a family room in for our kids to use. I wanted to set up my drums again but wanted a small kit that could tuck into a corner and have a very small footprint. Almost pulled the trigger last year on the DW with the 20x12 BD. Then Pearl came out with this line and configuration. I've only had it for a short time but it is everything I hope it would be. Sounds great and looks awesome!
    Thanks for the inspiration and nice review.
    Wow, like a parallel universe....But I stopped in the 70's haha. Now with the kids grown and out, I decided it was my time, and started taking lessons again. It came back pretty quick and I've been playing in a couple of projects, going to open mics, and some invitations to sit in with friends bands. I'm having the best time and hopefully will be gigging soon.
    I had purchased a Pearl Forum kit for my son several years back and it was just sitting down the cellar. The heads were beat up, there was an inch of dust, and some garbage can B8 cymbals. I cleaned them up, all new coated Remo ambassador heads, an EMAD kick batter, Zildjian K's and a K Con ride, and a week of tuning later it plays "WAY" better than a Forum should. Everywhere I take it, people think it's a nice kit, but we all know better, and now I want a better sound. So I bit the bullet and bought this set. It's arriving today, and I'm sitting by the window watching for the UPS truck like a little kid.

11. Registered User

Thanks for the inspiration and nice review.
    Wow, like a parallel universe....But I stopped in the 70's haha. Now with the kids grown and out, I decided it was my time, and started taking lessons again. It came back pretty quick and I've been playing in a couple of projects, going to open mics, and some invitations to sit in with friends bands. I'm having the best time and hopefully will be gigging soon.
    I had purchased a Pearl Forum kit for my son several years back and it was just sitting down the cellar. The heads were beat up, there was an inch of dust, and some garbage can B8 cymbals. I cleaned them up, all new coated Remo ambassador heads, an EMAD kick batter, Zildjian K's and a K Con ride, and a week of tuning later it plays "WAY" better than a Forum should. Everywhere I take it, people think it's a nice kit, but we all know better, and now I want a better sound. So I bit the bullet and bought this set. It's arriving today, and I'm sitting by the window watching for the UPS truck like a little kid.
    So...how do you like it?

12. Registered User

You were right, they look and sound amazing, right out of the box. The 20 punches right through, the 14 is half way between thud and boom, and the hi toms really sing. I am soooo enjoying them. Forgot to mention, the sensitone maple snare cracks.

Name:  IMG_3392.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  88.7 KB