Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default CB floor tom legs/brackets

I got my amazing looking/sounding clear CB's 10" 12" 14" 16" 22" in February 2016, I love them but....... The floor tom leg mounts & legs are different than any other Pearl equipment. I have always use memory locks on my floor tom legs to insure both stability and exact set up every time. The CB legs are a slightly larger diameter than any other Pearl legs and will not accommodate Pearl memory locks. If I use the legs from my masters kit they are too small for the floor tom leg brackets and just don't fit well. So I bought new floor tom brackets (LB-40) & legs (LG-40/3) with memory locks and I want to make sure before I change them, that they will be compatible with the CB's. Also I was wondering why Pearl used these odd sized legs & brackets unlike anything else Pearl uses. Any help with this or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by Barry D. View Post
    So I bought new floor tom brackets (LB-40) & legs (LG-40/3) with memory locks and I want to make sure before I change them, that they will be compatible with the CB's
    so you ordered new brackets and legs for your CB floor tom and want to know if they're compatible fit wise? .. just measure hole spacing on brackets center to center and see if it's same hole spacing on shell and original brackets

should have did this before ordering

3. Registered User

Sorry, I should have been a little more clear in my explanation. The sizes are the same, so they fit. My question is, will they be ok to use?
    The reasons I'm a little concerned are simply because acrylic is more delicate than wood. The grommets between the shell and floor tom brackets on the Crystal Beats are rubber and the grommets I bought are plastic. They aren't interchangeable because the brackets are different widths (the holes are the same).
    Considering the fact that the acrylic can crack, I just want to make sure that I'm not setting myself up for problems down the road. I know not to over tighten anything and for the record I generally handle my wood drums like they are glass, which is why my gig kit is 12 yrs old and looks almost brand new.
    Anyway, anyone who has acrylic drums or someone from Pearl please weigh in on this and give me some peace about changing these out.

Thanks

4. Registered User

I'd imagine it would void the warranty on said FT. And that's exactly where the Crystal Beats have issues. I would just live with out the memory locks and use the original hardware.

Maybe put black marker on the FT leg where you like it. And that would come off of chrome easily when wanted.

5. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Sorry, I should have been a little more clear in my explanation. The sizes are the same, so they fit. My question is, will they be ok to use?
    The reasons I'm a little concerned are simply because acrylic is more delicate than wood. The grommets between the shell and floor tom brackets on the Crystal Beats are rubber and the grommets I bought are plastic. They aren't interchangeable because the brackets are different widths (the holes are the same).
    Considering the fact that the acrylic can crack, I just want to make sure that I'm not setting myself up for problems down the road. I know not to over tighten anything and for the record I generally handle my wood drums like they are glass, which is why my gig kit is 12 yrs old and looks almost brand new.
    Anyway, anyone who has acrylic drums or someone from Pearl please weigh in on this and give me some peace about changing these out.

Thanks
    thanks for clarifying what you meant .. plastic gaskets? .. A simple solution to use new brackets and feel better about using rubber on acrylic is to buy a small sheet of rubber gasket material in whatever thickness you want and use gaskets from new brackets as a template for rubber sheet .. simply trace, cut out and punch out holes with a hole puncher .. other than that I don't know what to tell you as I don't own acrylic

6. Registered User

Good point on the warranty. I have sharpie marks already, just so used to having memory locks, i really don't understand why Pearl used these different legs & hardware. Smh.
    Thanks for the input.

7. Registered User

Good idea on making my own gaskets, Thx bro.
    Last edited by Barry D.; 10-04-2016 at 02:11 PM.

8. Rockin' the Cosmos..

rocker makes a good point about using a sharpie to just mark legs and keeping original brackets/legs .. but if you do go the other route with new brackets/legs just cut out your own rubber gaskets

I use rubber sheets in various thickness to make gaskets for older drums .. I've cut out hundreds of lug gaskets and plenty of floor tom brackets/bass drum spur brackets gaskets.. it's easy

9. Registered User

What type of rubber do you use? And where do you get it? Home depot/Lowes or an automotive parts shop?
    Thanks for your help and point of view.

10. Rockin' the Cosmos..

What type of rubber do you use? And where do you get it? Home depot/Lowes or an automotive parts shop?
    Thanks for your help and point of view.
    I use Neoprene rubber sheets .. I got mine off ebay for dirt cheap when seller listed wrong buy it now price but had to honor sale .. I got three 3ftx3ft sheets for $12 .. I still got a little left .. just make sure you get the correct thickness of sheet for project

11. Registered User

Thanks bro.