Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Drum Ninja

Default Head Choices/Tuning for Midtown

I wanted to start a thread about head selection and tuning for Midtown kits. I've tried a few combos and am fairly happy but am still looking for that perfect combo. I play a variety but right now mostly pop/rock bar band type stuff so I need a versatile sound that can cover '60s to today. Here are the heads I'm currently running:

Kick - EMAD with large foam ring, no internal muffling. I tried the small foam ring but didn't like it. The large ring is the perfect amount of muffling for this little kick. Kick batter is tuned just above wrinkle with reso head set just a little higher.
    Snare - Coaded G1 over hazy 200 (my secret weapon for the ultimate snare sound) Snare side head is tuned a 4th above batter which is at a medium tension.
    Toms - Clear G2 over G1. Floor is tuned as low as it will go with reso a little tighter. To tune I put tension on the head and then kept hitting the drum while detuning each lug till I could hear it flapping then tuned it back up a little. Rack tom is tuned an approximate 4th above floor tom.

I'm very happy with the kick sound, it's nice and punchy with a good attack. The snare is perfect. The toms need some work. I have them tuned fairly loose to get the pitch I want but I'm right on the edge of being so detuned that I get flapping. I might try coated G1s over Genera resonant heads to give a bit warmer tone.

I would love to know what heads/tuning you're using and how you're liking the sound.
    RBH Monarch Drums in Merlot Sparkle

2. Registered User

For me it sounds as if you're just going too low. If you need to be so low with your toms you might need bigger diameters. You could try to use Pinstripes or EC2s to make lower tuning possible, but it'll change the sound to nearly dead.

What sizes do you use?

3. Drum Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver_Stein View Post
    For me it sounds as if you're just going too low. If you need to be so low with your toms you might need bigger diameters. You could try to use Pinstripes or EC2s to make lower tuning possible, but it'll change the sound to nearly dead.

What sizes do you use?
    The kit only comes in 10, 13, 16. The Midtown is a jungle kit.
    RBH Monarch Drums in Merlot Sparkle

4. Registered User

sorry, I'm still not familiar with all the new names of the sets. Have you tried Pinstripes, EC2s or Aquarian Performance II? They are designed to be tuned low.