Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Just need some octobons now!

2. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Just need some octobons now!
    And for pearl to offer a Crystal Beat gong drum.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

3. Registered User

I don't see any Neil Peart drum kit, only a bunch of Chrome hardware and hoops! haha
    Clear Pearl Crystal Beat
    Cherry Burst Gretch Renown Maple
    Natural Ludwig Birch

And a whole mess of Zildjian cymbals.

4. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Nice. Even Neil doesn't know what a Neil Peart sized kit should be like like you do.

5. Registered User

Yeah. He down-sized :0(.

6. Registered User

Is the 15" a 'true' rack tom or a converted floor tom?
    According to the site you can't even get a 15"
    Pearl BCX in Lava Bubinga | Pics
    22x18 (2), 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 14x6.5" Pearl Kapur snare drum

Pearl VBA in Dynamite Burst e-kit | Pics
    22x18, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x14, 14x5.5 matching snare

7. Registered User

True rack tom. I got the shell from the chinese acrylic supplier on eBay. Had the single 45 bearing edge re-cut to dual 45 bearing edges. Had the shell drilled out by Jeff at Crockett Tubbs Drums in the bay area (discovery bay). Got the hardware special order from Pearl and assembled myself.
    For the acrylic gong bass-I got the shell for the 20" gong bass drum from the same place- the hardware from Tama.

I've had 20+ pearl drum sets over 40 years and Pearl has always been hard to deal with unless you are an artist. They don't care. They say no first.
    Crystal beats have been selling like crazy and they have the capability of producing 6, 14 and 15 inch shells. I've seen them on Eric Singer's clear kiss kit.
    But when I ask for one they say no. "We don't have the capability at this time to produce those sizes". Bull Crap.
    The only reason I still use pearl is because I've always used them, liked the hardware and the 'bang for the buck'.
    Unless you are an artist Pearl couldn't care less.
    Even for people like me who have spent thousands over the years promoting their product in front of hundreds of people.

You have to get creative when people tell you no.
    Have a good day
    Last edited by billyo00769; 09-24-2016 at 02:48 PM.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by billyo00769 View Post
    True rack tom. I got the shell from the chinese acrylic supplier on eBay. Had the single 45 bearing edge re-cut to dual 45 bearing edges. Had the shell drilled out by Jeff at Crockett Tubbs Drums in the bay area (discovery bay). Got the hardware special order from Pearl and assembled myself.
    For the acrylic gong bass-I got the shell for the 20" gong bass drum from the same place- the hardware from Tama.

I've had 20+ pearl drum sets over 40 years and Pearl has always been hard to deal with unless you are an artist. They don't care. They say no first.
    Crystal beats have been selling like crazy and they have the capability of producing 6, 14 and 15 inch shells. I've seen them on Eric Singer's clear kiss kit.
    But when I ask for one they say no. "We don't have the capability at this time to produce those sizes". Bull Crap.
    The only reason I still use pearl is because I've always used them, liked the hardware and the 'bang for the buck'.
    Unless you are an artist Pearl couldn't care less.
    Even for people like me who have spent thousands over the years promoting their product in front of hundreds of people.

You have to get creative when people tell you no.
    Have a good day
    All drum companies are pretty much the same unless you are making them money.

9. Registered User

You're absolutely correct.
    But to the drum companies I say:
    The little guys working gigs around town are just as important as the artists.
    We advertise for you. We support you with our business. We inspire people to buy pearl drums when they see the "Pearl" logo on our front bass heads.
    We do not get things for free and we still are loyal.

10. Registered User

That's what i like about Sabian: you can order what you want and they make it so. Not personal experience, but from what I've read here and other forums. Most of the time i dislike the standard setups that you can buy. They almost never have the exact sizes i want. If you want to go custom, you end up paying a lot! You can't switch toms etc. when you want another size: you need to buy the shell pack. I've bought my BCX mainly because ever since i started playing drums, i wanted a pro kit. Not the exact sizes i wanted (loved to have 14x12 and 16x14 toms instead of regular floor toms), but the looks and sound are amazing!

I still have on my bucket list this wish to construct my own kit. There is a site in Germany called stdrums.de where you can order shells, hardware, hoops etc. Pretty much all the sizes you can imagine are up for order. Perhaps i will sell my VBA for funding of this 'dream kit'. Order the sizes that i want, paint or wrap it in the color(s) i want, assemble the hardware myself and no hassle when i want an add on. I just order a new shell and repeat the process! Waaaaaay cheaper than going custom (i did the math and such a kit would be cheaper to make myself than to order my BCX completely new with all the add-ons).

11. Registered User

Great advice. Thanks.
    These CRB drums are a pain in the butt. They are delivered cracked sometimes, hard to clean and can't get sizes you want.
    Pearl is difficult to deal with or contact anyone. When you do get through they just say NO.
    I'm going to pay 2 times more and go with DW WOOD drums.

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by billyo00769 View Post
    Great advice. Thanks.
    These CRB drums are a pain in the butt. They are delivered cracked sometimes, hard to clean and can't get sizes you want.
    Pearl is difficult to deal with or contact anyone. When you do get through they just say NO.
    I'm going to pay 2 times more and go with DW WOOD drums.
    Pay 2 more times? You mean you have add-ons on their way?

I really love the look of CRB's and other (clear) acrylic kits, but i always miss the warm sound wood kits have. I must add that i never played an acrylic kit and that i base this purely on videos and recordings. So, go wood hehe