Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. ...A mind like Water...

Default Drums and Humidity!?!?!?

Hi all,

I live in Eastern Massachusetts and it's been unbelievably humid lately. My apartment currently doesn't have a dehumidifier but I am buying one soon. It's pretty damn humid.

I have three pearl SMX kits. I am concerned it's destroying them. Can these quality Pearl kits stand up to humidity? They aren't experiencing much temperature change.

I just want some input and advice until I buy a nice dehumidifier.

Best,
    DS
    Owner of two gorgeous Pearl Masters kits. Metal drummer, music and drums for life!

2. Registered User

It's funny because I actually worry about my drums being to dry, I believe you don't want to much humidity of course, but also being to dry can cause the woods to dry and crack, it's a lot like acoustic guitar rooms that are humidified. I'm also assuming that you may not have air conditioning if you are experiencing that much of a spike in humidity? You can get thermometers that are digital that display humidity for around 40$ at any box store, pretty nice for trying to find a happy medium. If you are super desperate you could put damp rid bags in your room, they are cheap and you can find them at the hardware store.

3. Registered User

I think you'll only need to worry if they were in a dark,damp, utterly humid basement with no chance of escape. And even then, would take some time for issues to crop up.
    18 kits and 40+ snares.......Yea I might be addicted to drums.

Check me out at - Facebook.com/JaysDrumShop

4. Registered User

you have nothing to worry about unless you have bare wood shells. there is zero chance of any delamination of the plies in the shell and when you think about it the drum is a sealed cylinder with the exception of the vent hole and the hole for the mounting system...are your drums clear coated inside? if they are you are perfectly fine...and even if the shell interiors are bare wood it would take a lot of humidity over several years to affect the shell.
    My wife says I am no longer permitted to buy any more drums...I said okay you cant buy any more shoes...we are presently at an impasse! I see drums...she sees shoes!

5. Registered User

I remember this question was asked in Modern Drummer about a Yamaha kit. The Yamaha rep responded that the kit was built in a region that is cold in the winter and hot and very humid in the summer. Humidity alone is not a problem.

There were examples of Pearl kits in a floods that had no problems. The bigger issue is going from one extreme to another like sitting in your hot car all day and being brought into an air conditioned room.

6. old dog, new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Bri6366 View Post
    I remember this question was asked in Modern Drummer about a Yamaha kit. The Yamaha rep responded that the kit was built in a region that is cold in the winter and hot and very humid in the summer. Humidity alone is not a problem.

There were examples of Pearl kits in a floods that had no problems. The bigger issue is going from one extreme to another like sitting in your hot car all day and being brought into an air conditioned room.
    exactly. Avoid, avoid, avoid rapid temperature changes. Wood will acclimatize to nearly any environment with time. In fact, even before installing hardwood floors, we would bring the material into the house and leave it for at least a few days to match the temp/humidity of the home it was being installed in. That way it wouldn't rapidly expand or contract during installation. Look at your kit like a piece of fine furniture. If you leave it in your hot car and then rush it into an air conditioned house or pub, there's a chance going to contract and split and even if it doesn't, there is damage being done that you can't see.

In the summer I always took my kit out of the cases and let them breathe.
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

7. ...A mind like Water...

Thank you all for the responses. It looks like I should be okay then. I also trust that Pearl's construction will be true to itself in staying round. My biggest fear is the drums going out of round or ply delamination.
    Owner of two gorgeous Pearl Masters kits. Metal drummer, music and drums for life!

8. th droids yerlookn4

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    exactly. Avoid, avoid, avoid rapid temperature changes. Wood will acclimatize to nearly any environment with time. In fact, even before installing hardwood floors, we would bring the material into the house and leave it for at least a few days to match the temp/humidity of the home it was being installed in. That way it wouldn't rapidly expand or contract during installation. Look at your kit like a piece of fine furniture. If you leave it in your hot car and then rush it into an air conditioned house or pub, there's a chance going to contract and split and even if it doesn't, there is damage being done that you can't see.

In the summer I always took my kit out of the cases and let them breathe.
    we do that in the winter out here

thanks divine sentiment ,,, as i live under similar conditions ....i was having the same worries even in western mass , it been really humid and hot !!!

9. th droids yerlookn4

ironically ..im in the same boat with ...MY session s B x lol

10. Is this Illidan?

This is answered. Humidity causes an issue when the drums are in cases, that is all. If the air can circulate it will be fine, if the air does not circulate you get rust/mold. Just don't keep the drums in cases and you should be good to go.

11. Registered User

Living in scenic Vietnam (Houston), I'm always concerned about humidity. I got a Gibson acoustic years ago and my buddy's dad told me anytime I transported it in the case I would need to let it acclimate to the new environment by opening one latch at a time over the course of thirty minutes or an hour. I thought he was screwing with me so I didn't give it any real thought. Fortunately I now know better and I've never run into a problem with that guitar.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

12. Registered User

Gord is absolutely correct. Sadly, I am dealing with this very problem on some older drums I left in the garage in their cases for too many months.

It is very humid here in Austin, TX for many months every year. Mold and odor build up in the padding in the cases. Surface crud builds up on chrome and stainless steel parts. (White vinegar seems to work well to clean this up.) Actual surface rust started up on exposed metal parts on some older stand hardware. (White vinegar helped there too for little rust spots, but actual rust remover was needed here and there.) Most exasperating was that the rivets, on the cases, that secured the handles rusted.