Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    12

    Post Vision drums, probably the best price-quality relation of all..?

    Is that really true that Vision drums equipped with optimounts and superhoop II become Session Studio Birch set..? And Vision drums equipped with optimounts and die cast hoops become Masters Birch set..? Friend of mine told me so..

    Would that be really worthwhile..? I bought a set of Vision 22"-10"-12"-16". Ordered also the extra 14" floor tom from the shop.. Afterwards I bought 8" rack tom.

    Session studio birchs of this size and with this hardware would cost about 2000-2500, Masters birch set of this size would cost 3000-3500. I payed 1000 of plain set with hardware, 200 of extra 14" tom and hardware, 120 of extra 8" tom with hardware = Total about 1300. If I buy die cast hoops of 600 price, and optimount aluminums of 150 price, I have masters birch set with only 2000 and with super hoop II:s with 250 and optimounts 150, I have session studio drums with only about 1700..?

  2. ...A mind like Water...

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Lifestream
    Posts
    8,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JuHiZz View Post
    Is that really true that Vision drums equipped with optimounts and superhoop II become Session Studio Birch set..? And Vision drums equipped with optimounts and die cast hoops become Masters Birch set..? Friend of mine told me so..

    Would that be really worthwhile..? I bought a set of Vision 22"-10"-12"-16". Ordered also the extra 14" floor tom from the shop.. Afterwards I bought 8" rack tom.

    Session studio birchs of this size and with this hardware would cost about 2000-2500, Masters birch set of this size would cost 3000-3500. I payed 1000 of plain set with hardware, 200 of extra 14" tom and hardware, 120 of extra 8" tom with hardware = Total about 1300. If I buy die cast hoops of 600 price, and optimount aluminums of 150 price, I have masters birch set with only 2000 and with super hoop II:s with 250 and optimounts 150, I have session studio drums with only about 1700..?
    I can assure you that your friend is completely misinformed. Visions are intermediate quality drums made in China. The shells aren't made to the exacting standards that Pearl's Taiwan factory sets. The maple and birch plies are of lesser quality and are softer. They don't produce the same quality sound that the harder, more consistent maple and birch plies that their Sessions, Masters, Reference, Masterworks, etc uses.

    I wouldn't buy a vision to spend a thousand extra to upgrade it with hardware. If you're going to do that, just buy a Master's kit and call it a day.

    The new sessions kits are made of Birch and Kapur but are as every bit of high quality as the old sessions and up to the Masters, etc. Anything below the session or Fiberglass/wood series is going to be of lower quality and you get what you pay for.

    If you want a Masters, buy a Masters. Outfitting a Visions kit with Masters hardware does NOT equal a Masters.
    Owner of two gorgeous Pearl Masters kits. Metal drummer, music and drums for life!

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Divine Sentiment View Post
    I can assure you that your friend is completely misinformed. Visions are intermediate quality drums made in China. The shells aren't made to the exacting standards that Pearl's Taiwan factory sets. The maple and birch plies are of lesser quality and are softer. They don't produce the same quality sound that the harder, more consistent maple and birch plies that their Sessions, Masters, Reference, Masterworks, etc uses.

    I wouldn't buy a vision to spend a thousand extra to upgrade it with hardware. If you're going to do that, just buy a Master's kit and call it a day.

    The new sessions kits are made of Birch and Kapur but are as every bit of high quality as the old sessions and up to the Masters, etc. Anything below the session or Fiberglass/wood series is going to be of lower quality and you get what you pay for.

    If you want a Masters, buy a Masters. Outfitting a Visions kit with Masters hardware does NOT equal a Masters.
    I'm not going to buy Masters or Session Studio now..

    I can see your point but I'm planning to swapping I.S.S to optimounts, that's why my friend told me these "facts".

    I like the sound of Vision drums very much, I don't see much reason to put another "vision-kit-price" to upgrade to masters or session studio drumkit. Visions are easy to tune, good sounding kit. I don't see that much difference between these three kits. The next whole-kit upgrade I ever make, is Reference or Masterworks shell pack. Some day in the future.. Or lottery win..

  4. ...A mind like Water...

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Lifestream
    Posts
    8,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JuHiZz View Post
    I'm not going to buy Masters or Session Studio now..

    I can see your point but I'm planning to swapping I.S.S to optimounts, that's why my friend told me these "facts".

    I like the sound of Vision drums very much, I don't see much reason to put another "vision-kit-price" to upgrade to masters or session studio drumkit. Visions are easy to tune, good sounding kit. I don't see that much difference between these three kits. The next whole-kit upgrade I ever make, is Reference or Masterworks shell pack. Some day in the future.. Or lottery win..
    The optimounts are great mounts but are still pricey. I don't understand why you would want to upgrade these vision shells with them seeing as the vision shells will only resonate so well and so musically. They are limited in their quality to begin with, so using ISS mounts makes more sense. If you are happy with them then why spend hundreds more? I don't understand the point.

    If you had Masters shells with ISS mounts then I could understand the swap but I bet you will barely notice a difference worth a few hundred bucks.

    My .02
    Owner of two gorgeous Pearl Masters kits. Metal drummer, music and drums for life!

  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Fraser Valley, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    215

    Default

    I wouldn't buy a vision to spend a thousand extra to upgrade it with hardware. If you're going to do that, just buy a Master's kit and call it a day.



    +1 although I will add, that I would suggest putting the optimounts on. I just don't trust the I.S.S mounts. I disagree somewhat with the inference that the Visions are a low budget kit.

  6. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    726

    Default

    Most people will talk about the sound quality or physical stability when justifying switching from ISS mounts to Optimounts. Neither of these issues can really be proven. Yes, people have had their drums fall off an ISS mount before, but not if they've been checking the mounting screws every so often, they don't just regularly eject your drums. As far as the sound quality goes, I'm sure you could prove a resonance difference by recording the drum in an isolation booth and comparing the two mounts, but it's doubtful you will hear an improvement. Most people switch because it looks cool and makes you feel like you have a higher end kit. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, just know why your spending the money on mounts instead of other add on's like a killer thrown that you can sit on for 3 hours at a gig or maybe an extra stand, ect....
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/album.php?albumid=260

    Pearl Export
    10", 12", 14"F, 16"F, 22"B

    Pearl Vision VSX
    10", 12", 13", 14"F, 16"F, 22"B

  7. Registered User

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    118

    Default

    All points well taken.....everyone is entitled to their opinion. Here's mine: Vision kits are made in China, but not all drums made in china are created equal. If the manufacturer provides excellent training, employs some QC, and quality material, the Chinese are capable of producing a good product. I have seen/ played/owned major brand kits from China that were excellent and some that were s#it. I've owned and played Exports, Session Selects, and Masters. I consider the early Visions to be an excellent value. Apparently other drummers share this view as some used Vision kits are being sold for more $$$ than the original price. They have many quality features and can provide a gigging drummer with a reliable, quality kit.....when equipped with quality after-market heads. I'm sorry Pearl has decided to drop this line, but "nothing personal....it's just good business." As with many other Vision players, I won't be disposing of mine any time soon......
    oldstroke in CA

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •