Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Pearlplayer1990

how do you like the sound of those fat tones on the sensitone snares compared to the standard Super Hoop II they come with?

Beautiful snares

2. The Sensitone Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlplayer1990 View Post
    The Senistone Elite steel bridge lug snare and the tube lug one is basically the same snare with just updated tube lugs right?
    Yes. My understanding is that the bridge-lug and tube-lug snares are the same exact shells. You can swap out lugs between snare shells as the hole spacing is the same. (I'm only 95% sure of this, so don't quote me on it.)

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    Hi,

My favorite snares are also the Sensitone Custom Alloys. I have the two discontinued 13" Power Piccolo versions and recently upgraded them with the new ARL swivel lugs and SR quick-lock strainers.

Attachment 494676

Attachment 494677
    Wow! Beautiful snares! I salute you. I have the steel version 5.5" x 13" with the standard lugs and hoops. It has a very interesting sound. It has a very "poppy" sound with nice undertones and depth. It gives you the "pop" of a piccolo with the resonance of a 14" snare. Both of these 13" snares are hard to find. The brass version will run you about $300 used.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlplayer1990 View Post
    how do you like the sound of those fat tones on the sensitone snares compared to the standard Super Hoop II they come with?

Beautiful snares
    Thanks, I like the sound.

It's like a mix between a steel hoop and a die cast hoop. The high profile of the Fat Tone hoops is nice for cross-stick and rim shots too. They are also a little lighter than the Super Hoop II's.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

4. Registered User

AndyH,

Yes, the hole spacing is the same for the original CL-55 lugs and the ARL-55 lugs. It is the same for the strainer too. All I needed to do was change the hardware. It's a nice upgrade for a couple of rare snare drums.

I also did the same thing with my discontinued 12x5 Sensitone Steel and the 13x7 Limited Edition Sensitone Steel snares.

MM

5. Registered User

Hi. Apologies for hijacking this thread. I didn't want to start a new one.

My 14x5.5, 12x5, and 10x5 snares are all Pearl steel, so I'm quite used to that metal. But I don't have a 14x6.5. Someone is selling what looks to be a mint "Custom Alloy Steel Shell" 14x6.5 Sensitone near me for the equivalent of US$218, and I'm trying to get it down to US$180. Is this a good buy? I like bridge lugs because their inserts are replaceable and give more margin for error.

Or should I hold out for a new Current Sensitone steel with tube lugs which can go for about US$270 when on sale in my country?

Last edited by makinao; 10-05-2019 at 03:40 AM.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by makinao View Post
    Hi. Apologies for hijacking this thread. I didn't want to start a new one.

My 14x5.5, 12x5, and 10x5 snares are all Pearl steel, so I'm quite used to that metal. But I don't have a 14x6.5. Someone is selling what looks to be a mint "Custom Alloy Steel Shell" 14x6.5 Sensitone near me for the equivalent of US$218, and I'm trying to get it down to US$180. Is this a good buy? I like bridge lugs because their inserts are replaceable and give more margin for error.

Or should I hold out for a new Current Sensitone steel with tube lugs which can go for about US$270 when on sale in my country?
    The $180 would be a good price, but these usually aren't "mint" when they are used. The chrome finish can conceal a lot of surface marks in photos.

It mostly depends upon whether you want to spend money to get the "new" version that has the tube lugs, better throw-off, and will be "mint" condition.