Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Bean

Default Drumstick grip tchnique ....... Cheating?

I don't know this is called cheating or not but I discovered something by accident. I was getting a little frustrated with the way I was playing so I simply reversed my drumstick in my left hand. I'm right-handed player. By reversing a drumstick for some crazy reason I got a lot more snap a lot more pop and more definition out of the drumstick. Also my rolls became cleaner and I seemed to gain a little bit more confidence. I guess drumstick technique wise this might be considered cheating? I don't know. How many of you guys on this forum actually do this? I know they're not too many rules in drumming but I got to tell you I'm really enjoying playing lately. Between finally getting my DW 9002 pedal dialed in the way I like it and reversing the left-hand drumstick this past week I really have been enjoying myself all week. Band rehearsal is today so the proof will be in the pudding.
    Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Y2K, dw Collectors Series Black Velvet and Marine Pearl, dw Snare drums - Edge, Marine Pearl, Black Velvet, Paiste Signature and Zildjian Z Cymbals, dw 9002, 9500 High Hat, dw Rack, Rolling Riser, Roland pads, Roland TD-10 and 20X Modules / dw stands

2. Registered User

So the stick in your left hand your playing butt end out? It's somewhat common actually. Mike Portnoy does it, I've personally done it in the past. Not cheating in any way. Just a different way of doing things.
    18 kits and 40+ snares.......Yea I might be addicted to drums.

Check me out at - Facebook.com/JaysDrumShop

3. Bean

Well it worked great yesterday at rehearsal. Going to stick with this. No pun intended.
    Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Y2K, dw Collectors Series Black Velvet and Marine Pearl, dw Snare drums - Edge, Marine Pearl, Black Velvet, Paiste Signature and Zildjian Z Cymbals, dw 9002, 9500 High Hat, dw Rack, Rolling Riser, Roland pads, Roland TD-10 and 20X Modules / dw stands

4. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    Well it worked great yesterday at rehearsal. Going to stick with this. No pun intended.
    Many recording engineers insist on the left hand playing with the butt end of the stick. I find it uncomfortable, but it's awesome that you've spiced things up with this discovery.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

5. Registered User

From the Vic Firth website, regarding taper:
    "A long taper produces a back-heavy feel with more flex and a faster response. A short taper provides more power and durability with a front-heavy feel. A medium taper gives you the best balance between the butt and tip."

Now you just need to find a pair of sticks with a short taper, and you're good to go!

6. th droids yerlookn4

Quote Originally Posted by ArchxAngel View Post
    So the stick in your left hand your playing butt end out? It's somewhat common actually. Mike Portnoy does it, I've personally done it in the past. Not cheating in any way. Just a different way of doing things.
    this is drums ...its not baseball theres no such thing as cheating lol

7. PDF resident cynic

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    this is drums ...its not baseball theres no such thing as cheating lol
    Yes. There. Is.
    Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

8. Registered User

Reversing the stick ALWAYS makes my pinky and ring fingers cramp.

9. No Drum on Shabbas!!

I'm right handed and I suck at traditional grip with my left hand. So I reverse it and put the "traditional grip" stick in my right hand. it feels natural. I have perfect grip and control when I do this. This really used to bother my private instructors who insisted that I could not play like this because I was not left handed. I still do this to this sometimes when I play and sometimes I get questions about it.

DESPERATELY SEEKING A MHX BASS DRUM WITH A BB-3 TOM MOUNT IN WINE RED

10. PDF resident cynic

Quote Originally Posted by Big King View Post
    I'm right handed and I suck at traditional grip with my left hand. So I reverse it and put the "traditional grip" stick in my right hand. it feels natural. I have perfect grip and control when I do this. This really used to bother my private instructors who insisted that I could not play like this because I was not left handed. I still do this to this sometimes when I play and sometimes I get questions about it.
    You should be proud to piss off those purists. If it works for you than it's nobody else's business.
    Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

11. Is this Illidan?

So basically you are using the heavier end of the stick to compensate for a weak side. It's not cheating, but does highlight that you should practice trying to make your left side stronger.

12. Георги

May I ask what drumsticks you use?

This may be a sign that your hands may feel more comfortable with a bigger stick in general. I prefer very large sticks (for example Vic Firth's "Metal" model). I used to play tiny ones like 5a and the like, and would find that I had to be very forceful to get the sound I want and they never felt right in my hands. Moving onto a bigger size helps a lot with letting the stick do a lot of the work for me.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because reversing the stick is essentially making it feel heavier, but you've now lost the sound of an actual tip. Maybe using bigger sticks can remedy this? Just a thought