Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cajons

1. Registered User

Default Cajons

I've been playing the kit for about 6 years now and am looking to try my hand at the cajon. I have a buddy who plays acoustic shows and I want to get a cajon to play along with him at some of his performances. Being a moderately experienced drummer but having never tried a cajon before, what models of cajons can you guys recommend? I don't need anything too fancy or expensive, just something that would be good for acoustic performances and casual jam sessions. Hoping to keep it under $200.
    Vision VB - Mirror Chrome Finish
    Toms: 12", 13", 16"| Snare: 14" | Kick: 22"

Sabian Cymbals
    Xs20: Medium Hats 14", Medium Ride 20", Medium Thin Crashes 16" & 18", Splash 10" | Vault: Chad Smith Holy China 19"

2. Registered User

Cajon market is really exploding. So many makers and models out there. You're best bet for starters is to go to a store that has a bunch on the floor, and try a few out. Some are solid wood boxes which deliver a conga-like sound; others have floating face-board, with more of a rapping sound. And some are further enhanced with snare wires underneath. Do you have experience with hand-drumming ? The special cajon broom-brushes are becoming popular for 3 reasons that I figure : 1. drummers more comfortable playing with brushes than their bare hands. 2. different sound than hands. 3. you don't have to hunch over as much to play the cajon.

These recommndations are a little pricier, but Meinl and Schlagwerk both have other models for under $200 :

http://www.songsimian.com/best-cajon...-money-review/

3. Registered User

Hungry,

A great cajon to start with is the Pearl "Club Cajon." You can get it for about $100. It has a great bass and snare sound.

https://www.google.com/#q=pearl+club+cajon
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

4. Get Down On It

Just finished the weekend with two acoustic gigs playing cajon. I really enjoy jamming our tunes this way.

I use an LP snare cajon, a cajon pedal, a Tambopedal and shakers. I used to use a bongo cajon but found it hurt my legs to squeeze it so tightly. I'm going to try a slap top cajon to play across my legs and use the one I sit on more strictly as a bass drum.

You will want to mic it too.

Older pic so you get the idea
    Last edited by Blisco; 06-13-2016 at 10:10 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple in Sky Blue Pearl 24/10/12/13/14/16 & Hammered Copperphonic 6.5X14
    Sabian cymbal non-endorsed endorsee since 1982

5. Registered User

Blisco,

Nice looking cajon set up.

I use my cajon strictly as a bass drum now too. I removed the snare strings inside the front plate and mounted a Meinl travel cajon on the side for a snare sound (when needed). However, I usually just use a small snare drum and a low hi hat with the cajon bass.

MM

6. Get Down On It

Thanks MM. It's a lot of fun and I don't have nearly as much work to set it up.

This is something I'm strongly considering. Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF0K98pnJTY

Basically, I can add the "snare" cajon to my hi hat and I would have a pretty sweet kit. Plus, I could play straight cajon by simply unclipping the pedal, which is what I do now btw. I play about half the songs with my hands and the others as a "kit" with shaker as hats and Tambopedal as snare/backbeat.

I don't bring the chimes and splash anymore nor the cowbell. Those 3 things are just effects and not worth the set-up time and effort. The whole goal is to keep it simple.
    Ludwig Classic Maple in Sky Blue Pearl 24/10/12/13/14/16 & Hammered Copperphonic 6.5X14

7. Registered User

Hi Blisco,

That is what inspired my Meinl cajon kit. However, the little snare drum on the video really sucks. It's much better to get their 10" snare-timbale or use an ordinary 10" or 12" auxiliary snare. I'm currently using the Meinl 12x4 caixa (Brazilian snare drum) with my cajon / pedal / hi-hat set up. I also use one of the Meinl "bass" cajons which is larger and has a deeper tone than the one in the video.

You can also get one of the Meinl 4-post percussion mounts and attach it to the hi-hat stand for all of your auxiliary percussion. If you do that, then it's easy to add the splash, cowbell, chimes and other things back into the set up.

MM

8. Get Down On It

Thanks for the tips.

I'd love to get a subwoofer cajon but I can't justify it.

I thought that clip on snare cajon sounded pretty cool when using rods. Sort of a woodblock type tone. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4bJHzVQfYo

This would be my lowest cost way to make a 'kit' so I'm not sure. I don't want to carry stands hahaha

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Blisco View Post
    Thanks for the tips.

I'd love to get a subwoofer cajon but I can't justify it.

I thought that clip on snare cajon sounded pretty cool when using rods. Sort of a woodblock type tone. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4bJHzVQfYo

This would be my lowest cost way to make a 'kit' so I'm not sure. I don't want to carry stands hahaha
    Yes, the "woodblock" tone is what a lot of people don't like about that cajon snare. It really doesn't sound good in person.

10. Get Down On It

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    Yes, the "woodblock" tone is what a lot of people don't like about that cajon snare. It really doesn't sound good in person.
    Then I should just stick to playing with my hands and using shakers. What I do works great but I'm not a schooled percussionist and my comfort is with sticks. Perhaps the slaptop hybrid cajon would be ideal for me?

I've been told the LP Octosnare cajon is pretty cool. Ahhhh!!!! So many cool toys.

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Blisco View Post
    Then I should just stick to playing with my hands and using shakers. What I do works great but I'm not a schooled percussionist and my comfort is with sticks. Perhaps the slaptop hybrid cajon would be ideal for me?

I've been told the LP Octosnare cajon is pretty cool. Ahhhh!!!! So many cool toys.
    Blisco,

Yes, unfortunately, nowadays, we can't go to a local music store and try everything out.

12. Get Down On It

Oops, I did it again. Made a lowball offer on one of these and was accepted. Guess I'm staying with strictly hand perc now.

Glad that's over haha