Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. @joeyryandrums

Default Early 80's Gretsch USA Custom Jasper Shell 14x5

new to me, AWESOME sounding snare drum

Sounded great with the heads and Puresound snare wires that came on it.
    Heads were an Evans 360 Coated Dry and Evans 360 snare side head.

Sound was warm, clear, and controlled. Nice and bright sounding tone with lots of crack . tunes up and down great!

I changed the heads to Remo Vintage Ambassador Coated with a Clear Ambassador Hazy snare side. Also, put on Canopus Vintage Dry Non Plated Snare wires!

Finally the tone was free from the pre muffled head. With the vintage ambassador and vintage wires, this drums vintage vibe really comes out. It's Very warm and resonant, with an awesome dark quality. punchy and dry with lots of body. actually reminds me quite a bit of a Vintage Slingerland Mahogany with maple reinforcement rings i had for a while, but this snare is a bit more articulate being the Slingerland was 6.5" deep and.

Also, with the vintage wires, it really reminded me of a 50's/60's Dixieland Gretsch, but that had single flange hoops, and would not tune up very high at all. that one had calf skin heads, and was even darker than this one, and much more swampy.

Name:  bqjH5TR.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  66.8 KB

Name:  P2N5stW.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  44.5 KB

anyways thanks for looking, very happy with this snare drum.

2. old dog, new tricks

are the lugs off centre? The bottom hoop is closer to the lugs than the top hoop... hope you don't have issues with it 'bottoming out'.

nice looking snare though. I bet it sounds great.
    It is said correctly that the law exists not for the just, but the unjust as the just carry the law in their hearts and need not call it from afar.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

3. @joeyryandrums

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    are the lugs off center? The bottom hoop is closer to the lugs than the top hoop... hope you don't have issues with it 'bottoming out'.

nice looking snare though. I bet it sounds great.
    I'll have to double check upon further inspection, didn't even realize they might be.
    i just attributed the closeness, to the tighter tension..

anyways it does sound great and tunes with no problems.. what do you mean by "bottoming out" though?

4. Registered User

Nice drum. I always like the grain of the wood on the Gretsch drums from that era.

5. old dog, new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by TVTjoey View Post
    I'll have to double check upon further inspection, didn't even realize they might be.
    i just attributed the closeness, to the tighter tension..

anyways it does sound great and tunes with no problems.. what do you mean by "bottoming out" though?
    'bottoming out' would mean that the hoop hits the lugs and you can't tighten the tuning thread any further.
    It is said correctly that the law exists not for the just, but the unjust as the just carry the law in their hearts and need not call it from afar.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

6. There can be only 1

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    'bottoming out' would mean that the hoop hits the lugs and you can't tighten the tuning thread any further.

I had that problem on my Vinnie Paul snare when I got it.... The problem was the reso head was either too stretched out or some sort of "vintage" head & was causing the hoop to sit too low.... A normal snare side head fixed it. It simply could be a bad head.

TVT.... Make sure the snare wire cord isn't being bound up by the hoop sitting too low.

7. Rob the drummer

Nice snare!
    Reference
    Paiste
    yamaha club custom