Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
  1. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    Pedals look great but I don't expect it to last: needs to be powder coated like Josh did. It's like when people spray Icon racks to make them black, but after a while, even if you're not moving stuff around on the bars that much, they end up looking tatty.

Good news on the 18! I sold my 18" Export tom earlier this year: I figured I hadn't used it in 15 years, it was just sitting gathering (a lot of) dust, and it wasn't a match for the kit I was originally using it with, so it could help someone end their search - and start a new one for me (we all know I love a good search!). So now I'm not actively searching, but just keeping an eye open for an 18" vintage Premier Elite floor tom (to match the 16" I had the Export sat next to)
    If you haven't already, the Premier Drums and Percussion FB group ran by UK restorer and premier nut Mike Ellis would be the perfect place to advertise and look.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier, Arbiter Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, PREMIER, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

5 Kits and 11 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

2. The Hardware Guy

I'm in that one

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

3. Pearl & Zildjian

Pedals look great but I don't expect it to last: needs to be powder coated like Josh did. It's like when people spray Icon racks to make them black, but after a while, even if you're not moving stuff around on the bars that much, they end up looking tatty.

Good news on the 18! I sold my 18" Export tom earlier this year: I figured I hadn't used it in 15 years, it was just sitting gathering (a lot of) dust, and it wasn't a match for the kit I was originally using it with, so it could help someone end their search - and start a new one for me (we all know I love a good search!). So now I'm not actively searching, but just keeping an eye open for an 18" vintage Premier Elite floor tom (to match the 16" I had the Export sat next to)
    I don't expect it to last either but i first wanted to see if i like them this way before i spent more money on them. I have higher priorities (drumwise) then spending money on powder coating
    Pearl Vision VSX & Zildjian & Paiste Cymbals
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=246977Latest pics page 80 !

4. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by scaryguy View Post
    I don't expect it to last either but i first wanted to see if i like them this way before i spent more money on them. I have higher priorities (drumwise) then spending money on powder coating
    PC’ing shouldn’t cost that much. The work is in removing all of the non-metal parts. Plastic inserts would get destroyed in the process.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. Pearl & Zildjian

Thumbs up update

Recieved the wrap & hardware last week but didn't had time yet to wrap the 18" floor.

Until today...

The wrap is gorgeous and pretty thick. The hardware came back nice too. But there still is really big difference between the original & the wrap.

The wrapping went well (i used double sided strong tape) and the floor turned out great imo !
    Attached Images Attached Images     

6. Drumming Since 1943

Um...
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Registered User

May as well rewrap the rest of the kit to match now! Kidding aside, I like seeing the continued progress in this thread. Nice work on the pedals and wrap!

8. The Hardware Guy

Possibly a wacky thought, but it may work - car window tint film. Get a nice smoke tint, wrap the already wrapped drum and it may bring the hue down to the same as the original Strata Red colour.

PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”

9. Pearl & Zildjian

Possibly a wacky thought, but it may work - car window tint film. Get a nice smoke tint, wrap the already wrapped drum and it may bring the hue down to the same as the original Strata Red colour.
    That could work !

10. Pearl & Zildjian

Quote Originally Posted by scaryguy View Post
    That could work !
    On a second thought ....

Back in the day i applied car window tint film to my first car and i remember it only went well if you used a mix of lots of water & soap.

Lots of water & wood ..... not a good idea/combination

11. The Hardware Guy

That's so you can squeeze the air bubbles out as you apply it to the glass. You can do the same using spray glass cleaner, or a simple water solution with a bit of liquid soap in it in a spray bottle, and spritz the surface of the wrap as you layer on the film, so you wouldn't need copious amounts of soapy water flowing all over the drum. The wood of your drums is sealed anyway (it's not open-pore), so you don't have to worry about water ingress bloating it.

Either way, I'd go get a few sample sheets of differing smoke/tint levels and see if any change the hue to match your originals, so at least you know if it's even a viable option.

PICSPICS 2