Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default New video of the MMC's - I think I have it dialed in now!

So I had some time to experiment today with my Zoom Q8 video recorder, and I managed to get it directly overhead and pointing downwards over the kit. The stereo mics on it do a great job picking up everything evenly - but since the Zoom also has two XLR inputs on the back, I plugged in a AKG P120 mic in front of the bass drum (no port), and an AKG C214 was plugged in to pick up the snare drum. The solo I played is basically free-form, but it felt good, and better still, what I heard while I was playing is what was recorded!

Let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ive4bA48Tv0
    Matt 'Bo' Eder
    Pearl Artist - Pearl Masters BCX drums in golden bronze glitter

2. Formerly 'BRX rad'

Nice video and great playing. Have to be honest though, not a fan of the sound of those toms. Way too thin and and airy for my liking. But to each his own

3. Natural Finish Army

Nice video and playing. Thanks for posting the vids of you kit, they are making me want a Ref Pure kit.

I think the Toms sound FANTASTIC. I'm not a fan of dead, flappy, no tone drums, your kit sounds great.

4. No comment.

I think you've convinced me to buy a ZOOM Q8. I already own an H1, but this would be a cool addition.
    DW | PAISTE | Aquarian | Regal Tip | Roland
    DW Performance Series in Black Diamond Pearl
    |14 x 22| |14 x 16| |9 x 13| |6.5 x 14 DW Solid Aluminum snare|

5. Registered User

What a great sounding kit! Love the tight rack toms and the ludicrously beefy floor toms and kick.

What snare is that? You've got it tuned to its absolute crispy best.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by paradiddlediddle666 View Post
    I think you've convinced me to buy a ZOOM Q8. I already own an H1, but this would be a cool addition.
    Oddly enough, I bought a GoPro Hero4 a few months before I stumbled to the Zoom Q8 - I'm debating selling the GoPro now.....
    Matt 'Bo' Eder

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffed Chimp View Post
    What a great sounding kit! Love the tight rack toms and the ludicrously beefy floor toms and kick.

What snare is that? You've got it tuned to its absolute crispy best.
    Thanks for watching everybody! I appreciate the kind words. The snare is a matching wood snare - 6.5x14 - in the same finish (black n white oyster). I really love it - it's probably the best wood snare I've ever played (I've always been a Supraphonic guy). To balance this snare out, I also have a Hybrid Exotic Cast Aluminum 6.5 snare too - that one has taken the place of the venerable Supra in my collection. But this Ref Pure snare absolutely cracks. The Hybrid snare comes along as my spare snare on a gig - it may never get played much
    Matt 'Bo' Eder

8. No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by bo eder View Post
    Oddly enough, I bought a GoPro Hero4 a few months before I stumbled to the Zoom Q8 - I'm debating selling the GoPro now.....
    In my experience, the GoPros tend to be kind of fiddly. I think the Zoom Q8 is a far better device for musicians to document their playing. The built-in 4-track audio recording capabilities (plus interchangeable mic capsules) makes it a no-brainer choice. I'd sell the GoPro, for sure.
    DW | PAISTE | Aquarian | Regal Tip | Roland
    DW Performance Series in Black Diamond Pearl
    |14 x 22| |14 x 16| |9 x 13| |6.5 x 14 DW Solid Aluminum snare|