Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. More beer.

Where Hell froze over somewhere in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    attending a DT show WAS always an ''event''' of it's own.......while the way i see it, these days as a band, you don't let down the music style that made you famous without paying a certain price, in this case the sterilized music they writes at the moment is quite far from what made them famous . i've attended many DT show with MP, and the '''crazy parts''' was what makes me wanting to see them live. i wouldn't push a penny to see them playing their new stuff only.
    I went to see DT in 2014 here in Norway. I really liked how MM played MP's parts, and I think he did it great. But I agree with those who say they miss MP in the band. Illumination Theory is probably the greatest song they ever wrote, which to me says Portnoy isn't needed to write an epic song BUT i think the band lacks a lot of... attitude? Balls? I don't know.

I think I got through Astonishing one or two times. It was crap. The gift of music (?) was alright, the rest was meh.

2. Registered User

really really funny, because I've been a DT fan for 22 years now. You can surely say I was one of the biggest MP fans out there. I really breathed MP, I modeled my kit like his and collected every single piece out there on the internet about him......until I grew up and discovered lots of other good drummers :-D when he left DT, I was really shocked because I spent so much passion for this band. but from the first second on I was totally amazed by the new material and MM's playing. Don't miss a single thing. technically wise he's better (or more advanced) than MP, but I know that's not everything. MP surely was a creative mind, but hey, the new material is just as elaborate aa always. and the last DT albums with MP playing are kind of disappointing. ADTOE was the first thing for me after a really long time, that had this original DT flavour..........as always just my personal opinion

3. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by jjslip View Post
    really really funny, because I've been a DT fan for 22 years now. You can surely say I was one of the biggest MP fans out there. I really breathed MP, I modeled my kit like his and collected every single piece out there on the internet about him......until I grew up and discovered lots of other good drummers :-D when he left DT, I was really shocked because I spent so much passion for this band. but from the first second on I was totally amazed by the new material and MM's playing. Don't miss a single thing. technically wise he's better (or more advanced) than MP, but I know that's not everything. MP surely was a creative mind, but hey, the new material is just as elaborate aa always. and the last DT albums with MP playing are kind of disappointing. ADTOE was the first thing for me after a really long time, that had this original DT flavour..........as always just my personal opinion
    IMO, ADTOE was really missing something sonically, when compared to other DT efforts. Maybe it was due to the disconnect of trying to create an album without a complete band? I could also have been from trying to "move ahead" with a new record, when serious concerns about lack of fresh ideas were brought to the forefront?

DT is still one of my favorite bands, and MM is a monster drummer. All that being said, there's obviously something missing from this formula, in addition to a huge chunk of audience that used to come and watch DT shows.
    My website ===> CLICK HERE
    My eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    My facebook page ===> CLICK HERE
    My YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

4. More beer.

Where Hell froze over somewhere in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    IMO, ADTOE was really missing something sonically, when compared to other DT efforts. Maybe it was due to the disconnect of trying to create an album without a complete band? I could also have been from trying to "move ahead" with a new record, when serious concerns about lack of fresh ideas were brought to the forefront?

DT is still one of my favorite bands, and MM is a monster drummer. All that being said, there's obviously something missing from this formula, in addition to a huge chunk of audience that used to come and watch DT shows.
    I agree. Seeing Mangini was awesome, though, playing 64th-notes with one hand tied to his back (it seemed from the audience, at least)!

5. I spell bad.

If you want to see something astonishing go watch Mike Portnoy on The Cruise to the Edge last week. It's every thing Dreamtheater has been missing.
    YC Drum Co. , Zildjian & DW hardware

Nous sommes du soleil...
    We love when we play...

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The Whale View Post
    If you want to see something astonishing go watch Mike Portnoy on The Cruise to the Edge last week. It's every thing Dreamtheater has been missing.
    Yes x110%! This is so amazing!

7. Playing since 1976

There is definitely more excitement on the cruise ship than at The Astonishing show I recently attended. Also, I'm sure there were no $20 seats on the cruise. There are plenty of awesome bands on that cruise, Yes, Kansas, Spock's Beard, Scott Henderson... etc. I'm not really into cruises, but maybe someday I'd give it a try.

8. I spell bad.

I'm a HUGE yesfan, hens my screen name and sig line... I simply can't justify spending the time or money on a cruise. God bless YouTube though!
    YC Drum Co. , Zildjian & DW hardware

Nous sommes du soleil...
    We love when we play...

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The Whale View Post
    I'm going to the Shattered Fortress gig in Germany. Looking forward to seeing MP rocking DT songs again and especially the whole AA Suite live!
    Pearl BCX in Lava Bubinga | Pics
    22x18 (2), 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 14x6.5" Pearl Kapur snare drum

Pearl VBA in Dynamite Burst | Pics
    22x18, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x14, 14x5.5 matching snare

Alesis DM10 | Pics

10. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by iCe View Post
    I'm going to the Shattered Fortress gig in Germany. Looking forward to seeing MP rocking DT songs again and especially the whole AA Suite live!
    That's an album within itself!