Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    So what do you guys wear on your feet while drumming, whether bare feet, socks only or a certain shoe type, do tell.

Personally, I wear leather dancing shoes, with a slippery carpet soles, for nice pedal work. (ala Peart - cause i can't afford UrbanBoards) an I swear by them, and I don't feel comfortable wearing anything else.
    Funny you say that. I saw Jojo Mayer in a clinic and he said something like "I play with smooth leather dancing shoes, its like rollerskating, its harder to begin with because it's slippery, but once you've figured it out... you've got rollerskates"

I however play mostly barefoot, If I do wear shoes I'll play in converse all stars. Nice and light shoes.

2. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    Funny you say that. I saw Jojo Mayer in a clinic and he said something like "I play with smooth leather dancing shoes, its like rollerskating, its harder to begin with because it's slippery, but once you've figured it out... you've got rollerskates"

I however play mostly barefoot, If I do wear shoes I'll play in converse all stars. Nice and light shoes.
    Funnily enough I got the idea from Neil Peart, who got the idea from Freddie Gruber. Also, doing ballroom dancing as a hobby means that the shoes feel normal, which helps.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

3. Rogue Ex-Mod

I've said this before in similar threads...

I started playing when I was a wee child and since I always played on my kit in my parent's house, I always had my shoes off because I didn't wear shoes around the house. So I grew up playing either barefoot or in socks. I preferred socks because sometimes the pedals would be cold or my bare feet would get sweaty after playing for a bit.

Finally in college I decided it was a pain to always have to take off my shoes so I just stopped doing it. Within 3 months I could play just as well with shoes on as I could in socks and now I don't even notice or think about it.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

4. *not Steve Carell

I prefer low-tops. Doesn't really matter what kind. I don't buy clunky shoes so whatever I get to walk around are usually what I play in.
    -~=Joey=~-
    ---------------
    '99 MRX Naturals, Sabian cymbals, Starclassic Birch Snare

5. Drumming Since 1943

Always wondered how Gene Hoglan and early VP played in COWBOY OR ENGINEER BOOTS.
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Drummer since 1963

I have a couple of pairs of Sketchers I like to wear for playing. I didn't buy them for that purpose but they are lightweight and comfy, feels like I'm wearing slippers. Better!
    Last edited by Ron Gerber; 01-07-2017 at 12:41 AM.

7. Registered User

Leather soles make perfect sense. I've used wrestling shoes before, but they're to lite and flex able for me.

8. What's in YOUR stickbag?

I usually play in what are essentially crossfit shoes, or trainers, I guess...low cut, with just a bit of sole, and low heal. I came across Urbann Boards drummer shoes recently and decided to check out the Virgil Donati (laced) and Dennis Chambers (Velcro strap) versions. I've got to say, I dig 'em. Super light, not much of a sole or heel, slick (enough) sole with just enough grip, but still easily slides. They are SUPER comfortable to play in since they are super light...almost like playing barefoot, but just enough support and protection. Keepers, for sure.

There are also Neil Peart (all leather, laced) and Aquilis Priester (high top, laced) models also. They are a bit pricey though...around $130-150. There is supposed to be a non-signature model coming out soon called Blast. http://www.urbannboards.com/

9. Registered User

I got tired of my pedals and other foot percussion getting covered with water, mud, dirt, snow, grass clippings, leaves and whatever else I'd get on my shoes while carrying my equipment from my car into the place I am playing. So I bought a pair of cheap sneakers, just for gigs. I won't change into them until everything has been brought in and set up.

10. life start at 125bpm

barefoot playing = yuk! lol.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

11. Registered User

I go with my everyday Nike runners.

12. Registered User

Always played in what I was wearing at the time, no hi-tops. In warm weather I prefer not to play in flip flops, so I'll play bare foot.