Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Rim Shot Drummer

My shoes are high impact fiberglass toe, High top work type boots with real nice support, that really lays down on the kick pedal. Generally I am in good shoes or hard soles inside the house when practicing because I go in and out. Also won't fool around hurting my foots barefoot or in socks around my stands and lose my balance when I have to make adjustment or during any set up. I make sure I have a good clean pair of high top work boots or work shoes especially when I play out for that super good foot plant while transporting equipment. got to protect the feet for kick back time
    Last edited by PatrickDC; 01-08-2017 at 11:58 AM.

2. Registered User

I used to just do socks until I switched to the Demon Drives, and my feet would slide all over the pedals. Now I wear some ASICS wrestling shoes that were on clearance. They are thin soled and almost feels the same as socks but with more grip.

3. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickDC View Post
    My shoes are high impact fiberglass toe, High top work type boots with real nice support, that really lays down on the kick pedal. Generally I am in good shoes or hard soles inside the house when practicing because I go in and out. Also won't fool around hurting my foots barefoot or in socks around my stands and lose my balance when I have to make adjustment or during any set up. I make sure I have a good clean pair of high top work boots or work shoes especially when I play out for that super good foot plant while transporting equipment. Attachment 499641 got to protect the feet for kick back time
    Coulda done without that picture. Just saying. lol
    Way Too Much Crap

4. Rim Shot Drummer

i put my shoes back on

5. Just Drumming

I have a pair of New Balance Minimalist shoes that I have retired from lifting to drumming shoes. They are light but have a very grippy sole that also provides a bit of support across the bottom of the foot. There is no sliding or the fatigue from sliding around like one gets from socks alone.

I have Demon Drives set up as longboards.

I've thought about looking into drum specific shoes and see their cost and benefit.
    Pearl MCX
    8x7,10x8,12x9,14x14,16x16,22x18
    MW 12 x 6.5 MW 13 x 5.5 FF 14 x 3.5 Mangini 10 x 6.2
    Pearl Hardware with Roland Electronics
    Meinl Traditional, Dark, and Extra Dry Byzances
    Member of the Masters Army
    Member of the Masterworks Army

6. th droids yerlookn4

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Barefoot. Always.
    ditto

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    ditto
    I don't mind the feel of bare foot or socks, but after realising that my sweating basically ruins the hardware I switched to shoes.
    I use some flat sole canvas slip ons... like the ones that all the metrosexuals around here wear. They were about $18, which I thought at the time was pretty excessive for what they are. But they are holding up several years later and look virtually like new. Perfect amount of grip and slip for me. It's a careful balance, right?!
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

8. th droids yerlookn4

Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post
    I don't mind the feel of bare foot or socks, but after realising that my sweating basically ruins the hardware I switched to shoes.
    I use some flat sole canvas slip ons... like the ones that all the metrosexuals around here wear. They were about $18, which I thought at the time was pretty excessive for what they are. But they are holding up several years later and look virtually like new. Perfect amount of grip and slip for me. It's a careful balance, right?!
    usually ...ironically enough it not my feet sweating that i worry about .i mean i occasionally like clean the foot boards off from getting grimy ...but more due to the fact idont wear shoes unless im going out ...i track dirt sometimes lol..
    i just always used to take my shoes off ..even when i was learning .. my teacher in school used to encourage it... he looked at it this way ..: you dont need to wear anything on your hands to play (i mean you can ...) so why would you wear anything on your feet ? for me, it would be like playing in thick mittens ..lol i like to feel where my feet are on the pedals..

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    usually ...ironically enough it not my feet sweating that i worry about .i mean i occasionally like clean the foot boards off from getting grimy ...but more due to the fact idont wear shoes unless im going out ...i track dirt sometimes lol.. i just always used to take my shoes off ..even when i was learning .. my teacher in school used to encourage it... he looked at it this way ..: you dont need to wear anything on your hands to play (i mean you can ...) so why would you wear anything on your feet ? for me, it would be like playing in thick mittens ..lol i like to feel where my feet are on the pedals..
    Totally. That's why I chose something really fitting
    And ha! My feet aren't really sweaty; it's more the way sweat would run down my legs ...
    I don't actually sweat that much as a general rule, but it can get pretty warm here and I didn't have AC where I used to play (nor at gigs sometimes, obviously).
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    barefoot playing = yuk! lol.
    Yep. Barefoot during the warm times and socks when it's cold.

11. Registered User

Socks. I play with shoes from time to time but find that they tend to limit what I can do with faster patterns. Some of that I'm sure comes from having played in socks almost since the beginning but I find them more restrictive to my playing.