Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default New Heads, Weird Sound

I just got new Evans G1 Clear 360 heads for the batters and resos on the toms on my Pearl Forum kit. The old resos were not the360 heads, but were the older G1Evans heads, and the batters were already the 360 heads. Now on the 10" tom, there is a boingy sound which I never had before. I have tried everything, believe me, and nothing has worked. I suspect it is because the 360 technology heads fit different than the bottom ones that were on there previously. Any thoughts on this or has anyone had the same problem?
    Last edited by Mountain; 04-02-2016 at 12:15 PM.

2. Deputy Grand Poobah

the 360 technology was used by Evans well before they started putting it on the packaging by at least a year. Chances are head you use that wasn't labeled 360 is made the same way as the new head. It could be a bad head, that's possible as well.
    Yamaha: LC2014-TC1986
    Gretsch: Renown Walnut 10-12-14-20
    Mapex: Meridian Maple 12-14-18
    Rogers: 13-16-22
    Yamaha, Tama, snares
    Zildjian, Sabian cyms, VF Sticks

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by drummaman1 View Post
    the 360 technology was used by Evans well before they started putting it on the packaging by at least a year. Chances are head you use that wasn't labeled 360 is made the same way as the new head. It could be a bad head, that's possible as well.
    The reso heads I just replaced were for sure not the 360's. They were on there for 7 years! I just got done playing and the strange noise on the 10" tom is no longer there for some reason. Who knows.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    The reso heads I just replaced were for sure not the 360's. They were on there for 7 years! I just got done playing and the strange noise on the 10" tom is no longer there for some reason. Who knows.
    I tried to upload a photo of my drum kit, but it kept showing upside down! What gives?

5. Registered User

Well, if it's sounds fine now... Maybe it just need to seat itself? Also it may have detuned a bit after being on there awhile and after playing too. I haven't had any problems out of the 360s they tune up super quick and can get soooo low, which I love.

6. Registered User

Sometimes heads need to be " broken " in. Drummers at times forget this ( been guilty myself ) One of the key things I always do now when tuning a new head is this - when I think I'm at the right point sound wise, I'll press down as hard as I can on the head, stretching it out. It instantly goes from the right sound to not the right sound. I'll tune it again and wham, perfect. Chances are the boing stopped because the head stretched itself out.
    18 kits and 40+ snares.......Yea I might be addicted to drums.

Check me out at - Facebook.com/JaysDrumShop

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    7 years is a long time for a drumhead to be on anything 😄
    Sonor SQ2
    Various Paiste cymbals

8. Away From The World

Quote Originally Posted by ArchxAngel View Post
    Sometimes heads need to be " broken " in. Drummers at times forget this ( been guilty myself ) One of the key things I always do now when tuning a new head is this - when I think I'm at the right point sound wise, I'll press down as hard as I can on the head, stretching it out. It instantly goes from the right sound to not the right sound. I'll tune it again and wham, perfect.
    Do this with a new head after turning the tension rods with drum key 2 full turns. Push down on center of head with heel of your hand and often you will hear a cracking sound. Then back off the tuning to what you need.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Do this with a new head after turning the tension rods with drum key 2 full turns. Push down on center of head with heel of your hand and often you will hear a cracking sound. Then back off the tuning to what you need.
    Actually, the Evans 360 heads aren't supposed to need all the breaking in that other heads do, but yeah, all heads need some time to conform to the drum.

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by servant000 View Post
    7 years is a long time for a drum head to be on anything ��
    I agree!

11. The Sensitone Guy

Quote Originally Posted by servant000 View Post
    7 years is a long time for a drumhead to be on anything ��
    I bought an old (25-30 year old) pearl tom. It still has the original reso and doesn't sound half bad. I'll replace it eventually, but for the time being it's actually doing a pretty good job. Crappy resos (in my experience anyhow) tend to reduce resonance (duh!), but you're still left with a short, fat, funky sound. Sometimes it sounds pretty cool.

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    I bought an old (25-30 year old) pearl tom. It still has the original reso and doesn't sound half bad. I'll replace it eventually, but for the time being it's actually doing a pretty good job. Crappy resos (in my experience anyhow) tend to reduce resonance (duh!), but you're still left with a short, fat, funky sound. Sometimes it sounds pretty cool.
    I left the resos on for 7 years because the kit never left the house. The heads still looked new and sounded fine, but I thought it was time for new ones anyway.