Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. gotta call.....

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    The second guide pin hole does not penetrate the interior of the shell, and you still have half the fasteners.
    thats the clever part . lol they also , if you notice , make that single screw post it appx twice as thick ...the hole it also wider so , youre basically getting two holes for the price of one ..

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    thats the clever part . lol they also , if you notice , make that single screw post it appx twice as thick ...the hole it also wider so , youre basically getting two holes for the price of one ..
    ?

3. gotta call.....

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    ?
    LOOOK, JUST .... there was alot of thinking put intto mapexs single point lugs is all im sayin ...lol i lack the vocabulary to properly describe everything ...

4. #38 Stainless Steel

Everything and anything you do/mount/attach to a drum shell affects resonance and tone. Whether or not that is an improvement, is purely a matter of opinion.
    1982 Maxwin DLX705 in #55 Silver Flash
    1994 SX "Session Series" in #38 Stainless Steel
    1990 CZX "Custom Z" in #130 Champagne
    1991 SZX "CZX Studio" in #133 Crimson Quartz
    1986 SC "Syncussion X" in black

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gyorpb View Post
    Everything and anything you do/mount/attach to a drum shell affects resonance and tone. Whether or not that is an improvement, is purely a matter of opinion.
    But whether or not it could ever be heard by anyone could be tested.

In terms of engineering off the shell light weight tube lugs make the most sense

The have all the benefits if limited shell contact and only one hole per lug, with all the benefits of alignment and reduced tension on the shell.
    I play Panda Percussion and Istanbul Mehmet Cymbals with negligible talent.

At any time let x be the number of kits I own, then x+1 is the number of kits I want.

6. Registered User

No answers about the 3 holes for the Pures!

I hace no doubt modern Pearl shells are f****** hard and well constructed, there´s a trademark reason or engineering reason to keep doing two holes per lug? Factory reasons because of simplicity and price?

Pearl is a great company, first line in drum engineering, but I find still some way to improve wich surely will be done in the future (1 hole per lug, Optimount
    /RIMS equivalent for the floor tooms and kick...)

7. Registered User

Get a free floater. No holes per lug!

8. Registered User

tube lugs or full length lugs (aka bridge lugs) can use only 2 bolts w/o problems.

i wouldnt be confident in a single bolt for a single lug.
    TAMA | Paiste | Evans | ProMark

9. Pearl Masters Drummer

Yes Andy is right. I had a custom snare made with the ref pure tube lugs and the drum builder tried using one screw per lug in the beginning and recessing where the other screw would have gone in the shell without drilling all the way through. It was a disaster. Once the tension was on the lugs for a day, the side that didn't have the other screw in it started to pull away from the drum. He fixed that problem real quick. You MUST have both screws in or the lug end with no screw will pull away from the shell.

10. life start at 125bpm

single point attachement per lug becomes a pivot and then a lever point once you start to tighten the hoop on the shell ; The greater the tension applied by the clamping screws to the single point lug's attachement , the stronger the lever; The back of the lug on the opposite side of the hoops want to lift .

Simple physics.

apart of very short lugs without space for 2 holes, my confidence goes to 2 holes 2 screws per lug . Three is even better for snare drums . I crank my snare drums very high.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's