Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default what kind of cover can you use on a DIY drum shield?

I have a worship band that plays in my downstairs, my issue is my kit is loud. I am a good at playing soft but in worship songs sometimes you need some dynamics, and that can be loud at times. My cymbals are my main eardrum wrecker. I borrowed a shield from a friend to see if it would make any difference in volume for my crowds that come over. I have found that it makes it just louder for me. However ever i play with a headphones that take all the noise away from me. I get to hear amazing sound that comes back from the processor, but everyone else hears raw cymbal crashes. To hit a cymbal half assed can just make you sound like a 3 year old. So I am wondering if i put a lid on the shield how it would sound. I know its going to help a lot. All the noise right now is going right up from the top. Is there any really good cheap material that anyone has found to be good for drum shield roofs? I need something light that I can remove if need be. Nothing permanent. Any ideas?

2. old dog, new tricks

question: what kind of shields are you using? Clear Plexiglas? If so, you are just encasing the drums in a highly sound-reflective box and it's going to act like an amplifier.

What you should use is baffles, like the walls used in office cubicles. They have fabric on them that will help absorb the sound and deaden the acoustic space. If you do choose to put a lid on the drum enclosure, I'd again go with a baffle. Your church might even have some of those old, movable divider walls kicking around that they don't use.

An easy and cost effective solution for baffles would be to build some 2x4 frames, fill them with foam or building insulation and cover them with carpet. If you go to the local carpet store and ask them for cut-offs or reno carpet, it will likely be free. That way the baffles are light, maneuverable and cheap. For visibility, I'd just put an opening at eye level so you can see out; no Plexiglas as the baffles will absorb much of the sound coming out already.

Let me know if you have any design or construction questions.
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

3. Rodgers and Jordy!!

2016 PDF FFL Regular Season Champion 11-1 Record

I like Jeff's idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Boom stands are for sissies.

4. *not Steve Carell

If most cubicle walls are like the ones I've seen recently they aren't going to do anything. It's merely fabric wrapped around a frame.

I do agree with his point of the acrylic creating an amplifier.

At my church we have some foam baffles that came with our setup that are designed to be the "roof" turn the setup into more of an enclosure. There is a support beams that goes right-left about 2/3's back. The baffles then rest on the front acrylic and the support beam. It also came with small 2x2 baffles for the bottom of the acrylic.

Our total setup has the front and side panels, and baffles for the roof, back, and bottoms of the panels so it literally creates a drum room.

If I were to build something for that purpose it would be some 1/4 inch paneling strips built in rectangular sections with foam padding glued to one side. If then lay them across the top of the acrylic panels.
    -~=Joey=~-
    ---------------
    '99 MRX Naturals, Sabian cymbals, Starclassic Birch Snare

5. Inside out ♪♪♪♫

If you Google "church drum booth", there images & ideas galore.
    "I'm an artist, not a scientist."
    Old school Crimson Quartz SZX
    "You are the music while the music lasts." - T. S. Eliot

6. Registered User

All good stuff, simple question now, will we all notice a difference if I do put a light weight roof on top?

7. old dog, new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by blackoctober207 View Post
    All good stuff, simple question now, will we all notice a difference if I do put a light weight roof on top?
    simple answer... yes.
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

8. ex bass player

Quote Originally Posted by Rocking_Again View Post
    If you Google "church drum booth", there images & ideas galore.
    Indeed. I think nothing changed much since the 2000s in building those. But nowadays you can simply google drum cage ideas or simply order an assembly kit.

Quote Originally Posted by blackoctober207 View Post
    There's an actual difference with a roof and without it. As for me, I would recommend using it as well as building a thick base if there's enough space. Though some people may argue with this and that's why I prefer to have a DIY modular booth which consists of five 5 feet acrylic panels and a roof.