Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 160

Thread: Decade Maple

  1. Once you go 20"...

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    416

    Default

    IMO dumping the Vision line name was a mistake. It's been around since 2008? and is quite popular in my neck of the woods (I know of at least 3 people playing Visions in pubs/bars in my area).

    Pearl could have used this opportunity to replace the Vision birch with maple. The auto industry has proven time and time again it's better to keep old names alive rather that start fresh, especially in the entry level products.
    Pearl Vision VBL in #244 Natural Black Burst: 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 20x18
    14x5.5 Steel Sensitone / 13x3 Brass Piccolo / 14x6.5 Kapur Limited Edition
    Sabian / Remo / Vic Firth

  2. Once you go 20"...

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Genius Switch View Post
    I want to see a close up of the lugs. The lighting in the stock photo gives the illusion that they are crooked. I know this is not the case but I'm still interested to see the actual lug design. The same thing caught my eye a few years back on those Dixon Artisan drums.
    From a distance, they remind me of the Tama Starclassic lugs
    Pearl Vision VBL in #244 Natural Black Burst: 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 20x18
    14x5.5 Steel Sensitone / 13x3 Brass Piccolo / 14x6.5 Kapur Limited Edition
    Sabian / Remo / Vic Firth

  3. At the Crossroads

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Helena Arkansas
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    Those Lugs and Badges are just Butt Ugly!
    If you're not Groovin in the Pocket you're just makin noise!

    Looking for a MLX 18 inch tom in liquid amber

  4. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,241

    Default

    Well Pearl looks to be copying the Sonor tom mount, and very similar to the Mapex tom mount. These new mounts look way better than the mounts used on their higher end drums. Hopefully they will use this same mount on all their drums. You can barely tell it is even on the drum. Actually surprised that they can copy the other mounts so closely without legal issues. I know they got all upset at Mapex when the new Falcon pedal came out with multiple cams for the pedal. Mapex had to drop the multiple cam idea.

  5. Rockin' the Cosmos..

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sirius-2DS
    Posts
    4,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
    IMO dumping the Vision line name was a mistake. It's been around since 2008? and is quite popular in my neck of the woods (I know of at least 3 people playing Visions in pubs/bars in my area).
    3 people is popular? .. lol .. Sales numbers don't lie .. if they weren't selling well/meeting the quota then they'll be dumped and replaced with a different series. It's simple business math.

    Pearl could have used this opportunity to replace the Vision birch with maple. The auto industry has proven time and time again it's better to keep old names alive rather that start fresh, especially in the entry level products.
    Visions isn't an old name .. Export, Session and Masters are 3 names most drummer knows/associates with and are WAY older than Visions .. export and session names have been around since 80's .. Masters since 90's .. but I get what you're saying .. who knows .. maybe after a year or 2 they'll bring back Visions if demand is there

  6. Once you go 20"...

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    3 people is popular? .. lol .. Sales numbers don't lie .. if they weren't selling well/meeting the quota then they'll be dumped and replaced with a different series. It's simple business math.

    Visions isn't an old name .. Export, Session and Masters are 3 names most drummer knows/associates with and are WAY older than Visions .. export and session names have been around since 80's .. Masters since 90's .. but I get what you're saying .. who knows .. maybe after a year or 2 they'll bring back Visions if demand is there
    3 ppl is plenty for the area I live in. You could probably stuff every drummer within a 100 mile radius into a Greyhound bus.

    I'm sure there are many reason why Pearl decided to add a new line. The sub-$1000 point is a very competitive range. I just find it odd they chose to kill off a name line with 8 years of "history" behind it. Sure, it's nothing like Export, Session, Masters name recognition....but gotta start somewhere. (Remember, these are the same folks that decided to kill off the Export and Sessions lines, only to bring them back.)
    Pearl Vision VBL in #244 Natural Black Burst: 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 20x18
    14x5.5 Steel Sensitone / 13x3 Brass Piccolo / 14x6.5 Kapur Limited Edition
    Sabian / Remo / Vic Firth

  7. J-Con

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    2,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LDdrummer View Post
    I would go with the catalog, there have been multiple mistakes found on the web site with all the new gear and quick changes they tried to make.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Wolfford View Post
    22" is correct...
    Isn't this a 24" kick? I figured the Decade maple would only put 10 lugs per side on a 24" kick. Much like the Vision and Exports.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    KY, USA
    Posts
    3,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tasty808 View Post
    Isn't this a 24" kick? I figured the Decade maple would only put 10 lugs per side on a 24" kick. Much like the Vision and Exports.
    You are correct, that is a 24", the 22 only has 8 lugs. There is a shell pack that is a 3 piece with 24 kick, 13" rack, and 16" floor (DMP943XP/C kit config).

    There are 2 5-piece kit configs, 20-10-12-14-14 and 22-10-12-16-14, the 3 piece as mentioned with no snare, and a 7 piece 22-8-10-12-14-16-14.

    If I had not scored a used masters premium before Christmas then this is definitely the series I would be looking at if buying new. I was considering the Tama superstar classics because it was maple shells with nice hardware and finishes for a great price. These lacquer kits beat their prices by about 100.00 per equivalent setup.

  9. Rockin' the Cosmos..

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sirius-2DS
    Posts
    4,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
    3 ppl is plenty for the area I live in. You could probably stuff every drummer within a 100 mile radius into a Greyhound bus.

    I'm sure there are many reason why Pearl decided to add a new line. The sub-$1000 point is a very competitive range. I just find it odd they chose to kill off a name line with 8 years of "history" behind it. Sure, it's nothing like Export, Session, Masters name recognition....but gotta start somewhere. (Remember, these are the same folks that decided to kill off the Export and Sessions lines, only to bring them back.)
    Yeah I hear ya .. killing Export and Session line did damage but they redeemed themselves when they brought them back .. might be a few years but they might bring back the Vision line if the demand is there

  10. Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    KY, USA
    Posts
    3,472

    Default

    Great video of the Decade Maples and Dennis Chambers:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQXZ...e7c&feature=iv

  11. Formerly 'BRX rad'

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    8,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LDdrummer View Post
    Great video of the Decade Maples and Dennis Chambers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQXZ...e7c&feature=iv
    Great video. Just wished he would have showcased the toms a bit more. Wasn't expecting to see a gong drum available in this series (although maybe it was custom for him). Seems like a great set of drums at an affordable price, especially for gigging or beginners.

  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    KY, USA
    Posts
    3,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MWRushR40 View Post
    Great video. Just wished he would have showcased the toms a bit more. Wasn't expecting to see a gong drum available in this series (although maybe it was custom for him). Seems like a great set of drums at an affordable price, especially for gigging or beginners.
    I'd wager to bet the gong was a custom deal for Dennis, but you never know, those seem to be a popular item these days The price is fantastic for what you get. If I were in the market for a new kit, this would be on the top of my list.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •