Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by opus138 View Post

Going from a thicker BRX to the thin-shelled SCM, the difference is probably exactly what you'd expect -- the BRX had a good amount of attack and punch. You could get a head/tuning combo to increase the warmth, but they were never warm, if that makes sense. The SCMs are pretty much straight warmth, the toms just absolutely sing. I think head tuning can really add punch as needed, moreso than warmth can be added to the BRXs.

The BRXs gave a great sound, but for my ear at this moment in life the warmth of the SCMs is what I want.
    I'm looking for the opposite! I want a drum with a lot of atack and a nice punch... That's why I was considering Birch. Might reconsider Maple though... Do you think like a 6 ply Maple kit would be able to get a nice low end punch and atack?
    Pearl Export Lacquer in Black Smoke finish
    14x5.5 l 12x8 l 13x9 l 16x16
    Pearl Marc Quiñones Signature Q-Popper Snare
    Zildjian K series
    14 Hats l 16 & 18 Crashes l 20 Ride
    Zildjian A Custom Series
    8 Splash l 10 Splash

2. Go Kimi Räikkönen

Quote Originally Posted by G The Drummer View Post

I'm looking for the opposite! I want a drum with a lot of atack and a nice punch... That's why I was considering Birch. Might reconsider Maple though... Do you think like a 6 ply Maple kit would be able to get a nice low end punch and atack?
    I have own both MCX and BCX kits. Difference between them can be heard. BCX have more punchy sound. Wether you like it or not. I like it. I tried BRX kit and I was immediately sold by the sound of birch. So I went with BCX kit as same specs as BRX

3. Registered User

Going from a thicker BRX to the thin-shelled SCM, the difference is probably exactly what you'd expect -- the BRX had a good amount of attack and punch. You could get a head/tuning combo to increase the warmth, but they were never warm, if that makes sense. The SCMs are pretty much straight warmth, the toms just absolutely sing. I think head tuning can really add punch as needed, moreso than warmth can be added to the BRXs.

The BRXs gave a great sound, but for my ear at this moment in life the warmth of the SCMs is what I want.
    Same here, I prefer the warmth of maple. I would have been happy with birch but I am glad I got a killer deal on a maple instead. Most all my favorite drum sounds over the years have been maple kits, so it just made sense. My floor is a 16x16 and the tone and resonance of it is just unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by G The Drummer View Post
    I agree with Opus....it is easier to get punch and attack from maple with a proper head selection and tuning than it is to add warmth and tone. I went through the same thing with my Exports. I could get a very nice sound, but no matter what it never had the same fullness and warmth that maple does...it's just the physical nature of the woods. Good example....on my Exports, to get a nice warm/low sound I had to use a 2 ply batter on my kick. Right now I have more warmth and low end from a 1 ply batter on my MRP than I ever got with the 2 ply on the exports. Now I know solid birch shells will sound much better than Export kicks, and I have heard a lot of birch kicks that have a great low end and punch. It's just an apples and oranges comparison. But taking price and any other variables out, i would choose the maple personally.

4. Registered User

Thanks for all the advice guys! I think I might save up for a Reference, they are just amazing! Love the combination of African Mahogany and Maple for the lower toms and Birch and Maple for the Higher ones! And for now, I can try to tweak with my Exports and maybe add some more toms
    Zildjian K series
    Zildjian A Custom Series
    8 Splash l 10 Splash

5. Registered User

Really hope they don't discontinue the References, I really prefer them to the Pures.
    Zildjian K series
    Zildjian A Custom Series
    8 Splash l 10 Splash

6. Marketing Manager of Integrated Media

Here's a closer look at the Masters Maple Complete Series first seen at the Guitar Center Drum-Off... more details will be revealed at the NAMM Show tomorrow.

#348 Absinthe Sparkle finish - NEW for 2016!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Derek Wolfford
    Marketing Department

7. Banned

So much for the prediction of a less, shall we say, visually unappealing tom mount . As Cub fans say, there's always next year

8. Registered User

Judging by the number of members here that have BCX kits, I assumed they were selling well. Yes, I realize this is a Pearl board but still.
    Guru Tour padauk segmented
    Tama Star walnut kit in Japenese sen indigo burst
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select (marbled green metallic)
    Tama Starclassic maple (Caribbean blue fade) and Starclassic walnut/birch (jade silk)
    Sonor Pro Lite blue sparkle

9. Bean

Well I am glad I just got all the drums I need for my BCX kit today .... LOL.

Although I think I will be sending my 6.5 X 14 BCX Birch snare back ..... it sounded so LAME at practice tonight. Very disappointed. My Mapex Daisy Cutter just sparkled.

When I tuned the BCX snare it only took two half turns with those die cast hoops and the heads were pretty tight. Sounded dry and weak. Stock heads (Ambassadors) left on the snare.
    Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Y2K, dw Collectors Series Black Velvet and Marine Pearl, dw Snare drums - Edge, Marine Pearl, Black Velvet, Paiste Signature and Zildjian Z Cymbals, dw 9002, 9500 High Hat, dw Rack, Rolling Riser, Roland pads, Roland TD-10 and 20X Modules / dw stands

10. Bean

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    Well I am glad I just got all the drums I need for my BCX kit today .... LOL.

Although I think I will be sending my 6.5 X 14 BCX Birch snare back ..... it sounded so LAME at practice tonight. Very disappointed. My Mapex Daisy Cutter just sparkled.

When I tuned the BCX snare it only took two half turns with those die cast hoops and the heads were pretty tight. Sounded dry and weak. Stock heads (Ambassadors) left on the snare.
    This is the 6.5 X 14 birch snare
    Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Y2K, dw Collectors Series Black Velvet and Marine Pearl, dw Snare drums - Edge, Marine Pearl, Black Velvet, Paiste Signature and Zildjian Z Cymbals, dw 9002, 9500 High Hat, dw Rack, Rolling Riser, Roland pads, Roland TD-10 and 20X Modules / dw stands

11. Pearl Masters Drummer

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    Well I am glad I just got all the drums I need for my BCX kit today .... LOL. Although I think I will be sending my 6.5 X 14 BCX Birch snare back ..... it sounded so LAME at practice tonight. Very disappointed. My Mapex Daisy Cutter just sparkled. When I tuned the BCX snare it only took two half turns with those die cast hoops and the heads were pretty tight. Sounded dry and weak. Stock heads (Ambassadors) left on the snare.
    That's surprising with that depth. I have basically same snare in a 14x5.5 and it sounds great!! I have the bottom head pretty tight. I also use a tiny piece of gel on the batter if its ambassador weight. Maybe try it in a different room.

12. Pearl Masters Drummer

So much for the prediction of a less, shall we say, visually unappealing tom mount . As Cub fans say, there's always next year
    Badge looks like a hybrid badge between the wood fiberglass badge and reference pure badge with the masters name. I liked the previous badges well enough although most people complained about those too: )