Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Drummer since 1963

The best combination I found for my 1990 Export EX with luan mahogany/birch shells was Clear Emperor batters and Clear Diplomat for resos. I switched to Evans by the time I got an ELX Export and G2 batters with a G1 reso was just fine with the 6 ply poplar shells, just like my maple kit (at the time).
    I got rid of the Export Select and got and EXR kit that had 5 tom toms. I used G1's on all the resos but chose different batters, G1 on the 8", G2 on the 10", Onyx on the 12, and EC2's on the 14" and 16" toms. It worked out nicely.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gerber View Post
    The best combination I found for my 1990 Export EX with luan mahogany/birch shells was Clear Emperor batters and Clear Diplomat for resos. I switched to Evans by the time I got an ELX Export and G2 batters with a G1 reso was just fine with the 6 ply poplar shells, just like my maple kit (at the time). I got rid of the Export Select and got and EXR kit that had 5 tom toms. I used G1's on all the resos but chose different batters, G1 on the 8", G2 on the 10", Onyx on the 12, and EC2's on the 14" and 16" toms. It worked out nicely.
    Nice, thanks for all the info!
    Pearl Export Lacquer in Black Smoke finish
    14x5.5 l 12x8 l 13x9 l 16x16
    Pearl Marc Quiñones Signature Q-Popper Snare
    Zildjian K series
    14 Hats l 16 & 18 Crashes l 20 Ride
    Zildjian A Custom Series
    8 Splash l 10 Splash

3. ex bass player

Quote Originally Posted by G The Drummer View Post
    Nice, thanks for all the info!
    Hey there. So what did you end up with?

Hey guys! I'm getting some Evans Coated G2s for my Toms (was going to get another set of Remo Emperors but it seems like the G2s are more durable). And I also want to get a set of resonant heads, maybe even black! What do you guys think is the best head to go with the coated G2s to get a nice punchy low end sound?
    Thanks,
    G
    I agree that G2s are really more durable and have low end sound, but I'm also surprised that discussing best drum heads for toms nobody mentioned Aquarians. I was using a set of these combined with the Emperor Ambassador as my practice set and I doubt I'm gonna need any replacement soon.

I agree with the coating chipping off faster on the Emperors (I have the Emperor Ambassador combination currently and my 12" Tom head looks like it's clear ) but Yeah, that's why I was looking at Evans heads, and I am decided, I'm going with coated G2s over clear G1s! Thank you once again to everyone that helped
    That's true. I'm kinda disappointed with the Emperor's coating durability, but I like the head thickness itself, it gives warmer tones. Also I got mines almost for free, so I won't complain much.