Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Forum at a blues club?

Hello!

I own a Pearl MMX jazz kit that I keep at a jazz/ blues club because I get to rehearse there now and then. In return they can borrow it for concerts if the drummer doesn't wanna bring his/ her own. Once in a while though blues drummers prefer bigger kick drums (22") and now the club wants to buy a cheap Pearl Forum for that purpose. Is this an OK set to offer touring drummers or should they buy something else?

/Tobias
    MMX: 8x8, 10x8, 13x11, 15x14, 18x16, Black Mist, ISS, Dennis Chambers gold hw snare
    Export (1988): (12x8,) 13x9, 16x16, 22x16, de-wrapped / painted, World Series steel snare
    Free Floating maple 14x3,5, SensiTone steel 12x5, Premier 10x6 birch snares
    Bosphorus cymbals

2. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by trrttsch View Post
    Hello!

I own a Pearl MMX jazz kit that I keep at a jazz/ blues club because I get to rehearse there now and then. In return they can borrow it for concerts if the drummer doesn't wanna bring his/ her own. Once in a while though blues drummers prefer bigger kick drums (22") and now the club wants to buy a cheap Pearl Forum for that purpose. Is this an OK set to offer touring drummers or should they buy something else?

/Tobias
    It's the touring drummers responsibility to either

A) Use what you provide and not whine about it.
    B) Bring their own gear.
    C) Arrange a kit of their preference to be provided by their artist rep or a back line company.

If you keep those drums in good condition, they'll be an asset to your club. I wouldn't worry that they are Forums. Put some nice heads on and give them some TLC once in a while. I never get bummed out by a "low end" house kit, as long as it's maintained... which, of course, is also the responsibility of whoever rolls through. Hopefully they respect your gear and treat it well, no matter what it is!

3. Registered User

Thank you! I have the same experience that with good heads and some tlc almost every kit can be good enough. But what I was worried about is two scenarios: 1) The drummer being told that there's a good Pearl kit and then getting angry or disappointed when he sees it's a Forum. 2) The drummer being told it's a Forum and then prefer to get another kit. Then it's money down the drain. So actually the question isn't whether it is a good kit or not but if it has a decent reputation amongst touring drummers.
    MMX: 8x8, 10x8, 13x11, 15x14, 18x16, Black Mist, ISS, Dennis Chambers gold hw snare
    Export (1988): (12x8,) 13x9, 16x16, 22x16, de-wrapped / painted, World Series steel snare
    Bosphorus cymbals

4. #38 Stainless Steel

Their problem.

In my experience, it's not the shells that make the difference on a house kit; it's the (state of) the hardware. Sure, I was delighted to be presented with a mint condition BLX, the other day, but sadly the accompanying hardware was the usual fare: missing cymbal sleeves, worn-out threads, missing or tatty felts; you know.

So, as long as you provide solid, well-kept hardware, a throne and a snare stand that can go both high and low enough to satisfy just about anyone, plenty of cymbal stands (straight and boom or convertible) that don't chew away at the drummers' cymbals, a set of quality heads, and you are putting in the effort to keep things in a good state, word of mouth will do the rest: "oh, Tobias' Blues Club? Yeah, they have a house kit. It's decent, don't bother schlepping your own gear."
    1982 Maxwin DLX705 in #55 Silver Flash
    1994 SX "Session Series" in #38 Stainless Steel
    1990 CZX "Custom Z" in #130 Champagne
    1991 SZX "CZX Studio" in #133 Crimson Quartz
    1986 SC "Syncussion X" in black

5. Registered User

Good to hear. I'll tell them to buy the kit and reserve some money for new heads.

/Tobias
    Bosphorus cymbals