Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Living Legend

Default Recommend me some brushes!

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to pick up a good all-round pair of brushes that will work well for basic jazz and country work as well as a bit of soft rock.

There seems to be a few different types available and I don't really know what to look for as this is my first foray into the world of brushes.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

2. ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

I like my Vic Firths because they have a nice, textured and coarse grip.
    Pearl Reference ScarletFade
    Pearl Masterworks Green Sparkle
    Ludwig Vistalite Smoke Grey
    Yamaha Hip Gig White Marine Pearl
    MY EBAY PAGE == DRUM STUFF INSIDE!

3. Registered User

the vic firth Wire Brushes (white handle) have pretty heavy wires. good for the projection you might need for soft rock or country, but not as good for quiet acoustic jazz stuff. for lighter playing, you'd want the VF Heritage Brush (purple handle). much lighter wires, easier to get a smooth sound out of very legato ballad patterns. though that's not to say you can't play acoustic ballads with the Wire Brushes, or that you can't get a little extra volume out of the Heritage Brushes, it just depends on what you're going to need more often.
    these are basically the only two brushes I use, and they cover a lot of ground. I've had problems with the pull rod on some Vater and Promark brushes not locking in place very well.
    I personally don't have any experience with Regal Tip or Innovative Percussion brushes, but I've heard good things. The new signature Chad Wackerman brushes from Innovative Percussion are very cool, featuring a longer wood handle for more of a stick-like feel and cross-stick ability, soft felt around the butt for cymbal rolls, and a nylon tip on the end of the handle for quick changes if you need it.

The VFHB and VFWB are both very popular and great brushes, I can't recommend them enough as a go-to. I personally prefer the Heritage brushes, as I think they're easier to play smoothly (even for beginners) and I don't usually need a lot of extra projection in a brush situation. plus the Heritage brushes are much easier to do the "butterfly" thing with
    Last edited by gabebennett1; 12-03-2015 at 01:39 AM.

4. Living Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    I like my Vic Firths because they have a nice, textured and coarse grip.
    Which model Vic's are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by gabebennett1 View Post
    the vic firth Wire Brushes (white handle) have pretty heavy wires. good for the projection you might need for soft rock or country, but not as good for quiet acoustic jazz stuff. for lighter playing, you'd want the VF Heritage Brush (purple handle). much lighter wires, easier to get a smooth sound out of very legato ballad patterns. though that's not to say you can't play acoustic ballads with the Wire Brushes, or that you can't get a little extra volume out of the Heritage Brushes, it just depends on what you're going to need more often.
    these are basically the only two brushes I use, and they cover a lot of ground. I've had problems with the pull rod on some Vater and Promark brushes not locking in place very well.
    I personally don't have any experience with Regal Tip or Innovative Percussion brushes, but I've heard good things. The new signature Chad Wackerman brushes from Innovative Percussion are very cool, featuring a longer wood handle for more of a stick-like feel and cross-stick ability, soft felt around the butt for cymbal rolls, and a nylon tip on the end of the handle for quick changes if you need it.

The VFHB and VFWB are both very popular and great brushes, I can't recommend them enough as a go-to. I personally prefer the Heritage brushes, as I think they're easier to play smoothly (even for beginners) and I don't usually need a lot of extra projection in a brush situation. plus the Heritage brushes are much easier to do the "butterfly" thing with
    Very informative post, thanks for that.
    The Vic Firth Wire Brushes could be the ticket I reckon.
    Will probably be used more for country/soft rock stuff in a band setting - so a little more projection might be nice.
    Jazz I just practice occassionally at home by myself.

5. ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Quote Originally Posted by Gags View Post
    Which model Vic's are you using?

vic firth Wire Brushes (white handle)
    Pearl Reference ScarletFade
    Pearl Masterworks Green Sparkle
    Ludwig Vistalite Smoke Grey
    Yamaha Hip Gig White Marine Pearl
    MY EBAY PAGE == DRUM STUFF INSIDE!

6. Rogue Ex-Mod

I use both the white handle and purple handle models from Vic Firth. They've always been great and I've had the same pairs for years and years.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

7. Registered User

I concur with the others, the Vic Firth are just great brushes. I use the white handle, but that fits my needs best. You can't go wrong with their brushes!

8. Registered User

another vote for the Vic Firth purple handle brushes.

9. Less is more

I won't use anything but Regal Tip Classic......these are the only brushes with genuine gum rubber handles, which sound the best on rim shots.... I use these brushes constantly for soft rock, country.....Love em...

I have used the purple and white Vic Firths....but honestly, they did not have the same heft as the Regal Tips.....just my two cents...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...lassic-brushes

10. Registered User

For sticks and mallets I'm all about Vic Firth, but the Regal Tip Classic Brushes to me are superior than any of the Vic Firth Brushes. I have owned both the VF Steve Gadd signature brushes (bent tips are not my thing) and the purple heritage brushes (too soft and wear out fast). The Regal Tips are more rigid, but not as stuff as the plastic white VF's, giving me the ability to be more dynamic than the purple VF's. They feel great, and they have proven to be more durable than the Vic Firths.

11. Living Legend

Thanks for the replies everyone!

The Regal Tip brushes look nice, but unfortunately the brand doesn't have a big presence here and I don't like my chances of finding them at my local drum shop this weekend. I will probably only have offerings from Vic, Pro-mark and Vater to choose from but will see how I go.

12. Registered User

Ah that's a shame you can't try regal tips, I use the Ed Thigpen ones and they're incredible. Tried out a load of models and they're the ones that stuck. One of my teachers in the UK (teaches at a conservatoire) said "man, I've got to get some" and one of my teachers over in Texas said "I've got to get Vic Firth to make me some of these" (think it was VF, whoever his endorsement was from)! Proved to me they're a good choice haha