Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Modified Pearl Demonator

Time for some pedal modification ! I use various sliding and hybrid techniques with my feet, so a pedal such as Jojo Mayer's Perfect Balance would be perfect. However, being a poor student who has heard of various problems with the build quality of the aforementioned pedal, I thought that I could make an alternative myself. I've never had a problem with Pearl hardware, so I thought that the Demonator would be the best place to start !

Name:  Pedal Mod 2.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  51.0 KB

I planned to swap the chain drive for this Yamaha nylon strap drive, and the beater for a Yamaha large felt one.

Name:  Pedal Mod 1.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  38.2 KB

So the first step was to remove the chain from the footboard and the cam.

Name:  Pedal Mod 3.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  55.1 KB

Then to remove the spring assembly, the cam and the beater holder.

Name:  Pedal Mod 4.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  49.0 KB

(I'll continue it in the next post, I can only post 4 images)

2. Registered User

The I removed the post...

Name:  Pedal Mod 5.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  71.9 KB

...and attached it to the left side instead, along with the beater holder.

Name:  Pedal Mod 6.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  81.0 KB

Then the Yamaha belt was attached to the pedal.

Name:  Pedal Mod 7.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  52.5 KB

Name:  Pedal Mod 8.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  64.8 KB

3. Registered User

Name:  Pedal Mod 9.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  47.0 KB

With the cam reattached and the nylon strap securely placed upon it (I removed the orange radical cam, I prefer to circular linear motion cam underneath), I decided to replace the bass drum clamping system (which, frankly, is the only bad aspect of the Demonator pedal) with the one from the Eliminator Powershifter pedals. I didn't drill any holes, I simply used one of the holes for the post on the right side ; once screwed tight, it won't move !

Name:  Pedal Mod 10.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  58.2 KB

And voilà ! A poor man's Perfect Balance pedal. It feels great, the smooth surface of the pedal combined with the longboard aids hybrid techniques and the strap actually fits very well over the circular cam. A very balanced yet powerful stroke !
    I replaced the original spring with that from the Eliminator Powershifter pedal as the one supplied with the Demonator is a bit too small.

Name:  Pedal Mod 11.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  57.0 KB

Name:  Pedal Mod 12.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  68.4 KB

Now if Pearl were to manufacture such a pedal, with a left side post and a strap drive on a linear cam, I would be a very happy man

4. No comment.

Nicely done! I might try a strap conversion on my Demonator as well!
    DW | PAISTE | Aquarian | Regal Tip | Roland
    DW Performance Series in Black Diamond Pearl
    |14 x 22| |14 x 16| |9 x 13| |6.5 x 14 DW Solid Aluminum snare|

5. *not Steve Carell

I have a perfect balance and I'd like to try this anyway!

The PB is nice but the folding mechanism is somewhat of a pain. It comes with a piece of grip tape for your bass drum hoop. If you don't use it the pedal will either slide back and forth from being too loose or it will collapse from being too tight.

This makes playing other kits with the pedal a pain. I actually bring the tape with the pedal to make it "giggable".

Nice work!
    -~=Joey=~-
    ---------------
    '99 MRX Naturals, Sabian cymbals, Starclassic Birch Snare

6. Registered User

Cheers guys ! I can't believe how good the quality of the Demonator is, the only downfall really is the clamping system. Even with the Eliminator system in place, the pedal has to be attached very careful to a practice pad in order for the footboard not to hit the clamp. Hopefully it won't be a problem on an acoustic drum set....just something for you guys to be mindful of if you wanna try this yourselves.

And that's a real shame to hear about the Perfect Balance pedal, it seems so perfect but I've heard nothing but complaints about the build quality and the clamping mechanism :/

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 888riddim888 View Post
    Cheers guys ! I can't believe how good the quality of the Demonator is, the only downfall really is the clamping system. Even with the Eliminator system in place, the pedal has to be attached very careful to a practice pad in order for the footplate not to hit the clamp.
    That has nothing to do with the clamping system and but with how you have your pedal setup. You've set your beater angle really extremely far back (not sure how you don't hurt your shins playing the pedal like that), that by the time the beater has travelled all the way to the head, the footplate almost bottoms out. If you're able to adjust the footplate angle independently from the beater angle, then you could bring the footplate up more so you have more headroom. If you can't independently adjust the beater angle from the footplate angle, then you need to not angle the pedal that far back, or use a shorter strap.

8. Registered User

The footboard can't be adjusted independantly unfortunately...I have considered shortening the strap, I'll see how it goes. I use very little spring tension so the beater distance is for a nice throw ; I haven't had any problems with it yet!

9. *not Steve Carell

Quote Originally Posted by 888riddim888 View Post
    The footboard can't be adjusted independantly unfortunately...I have considered shortening the strap, I'll see how it goes. I use very little spring tension so the beater distance is for a nice throw ; I haven't had any problems with it yet!
    it looks like the beater holder could be moved 1 "slot" forward on the hex shaft.
    -~=Joey=~-
    ---------------
    '99 MRX Naturals, Sabian cymbals, Starclassic Birch Snare

10. Meus nomen est Nate.

Your beater angle is kinda crazy. Nice mod though.
    TOOL

"There’s a strong correlation between this band’s name and the type of people who listen to their MC Escher butt rock. Hopefully it will be 10,000 more days before they release another album."

11. Abomination of desolation

Nice mod! Why did you change the placement from right to left of the post?
    Beneath a summer sky
    Under glass moonlight
    Night awaits the lamb's arrival
    Liquid shadows crawl
    Silver teardrops fall
    The bride subsides to her survival

Ref Crystal Rain Army!!!

12. I regret my username

Well played, sir! Looks like a quality job!