Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Restarting drumming - electronic kits (unfortunately!)

Hi guys.

I've taken quite a while off of drumming, I snapped a finger in half quite a while ago (it fixed pretty wonky and can't be repaired) and I've been off travelling since then, so I've barely played any drums in quite a while. I'm looking at getting back into it, but since I'm moving every 8 months for work and living in shared houses where noise levels and space are big factors, I really can't set up an acoustic kit, so I'm looking into the electric route.

I'm thinking of selling my Starclassic (my absolute baby), just because it'll be years before I can use it again properly and I'll still have my little Gretsch if I do get the opportunity to set something up. My main problem is what to buy... I've never been that into electronics and I'm pretty out of the loop as it is! I had a go on some Roland kits at the London Drum show last week, but didn't get the chance to try any Yamahas out.

I have 2 requirements: all mesh heads (or this Yamaha foam stuff) and a 'real' pair of hi hats on a stand rather than just a cymbal pad and foot pedal.

So the question is, Roland or Yamaha? There's a deal at the moment for a Roland TD30K, which I'd probably buy over a TD25KV (only a £200 difference), but I could just spend half the amount and get something like a Yamaha DTX562K or Roland TD-15KV, or go up a level to the TD25K or Yamaha DTX700K... Since it'll just be used for practice and probably nothing more, I'm debating if there's any point going for a TD30, although if the top end kits are a lot more realistic then that'll be a big factor.

So... Any advice?!

EDIT: there's also the DTX750K for a similar price to a TD30K. Think I just need to work out which price bracket to go for, then decide on a brand!
    Last edited by gaffro; 11-28-2015 at 03:43 PM.

2. Registered User

Okay big edit, I've decided I'm going with a higher end one, so it's between the TD30K and the DTX750K. I'm going to try to find somewhere close to try them out asap, but does anyone have any advice on the two?

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gaffro View Post
    Okay big edit, I've decided I'm going with a higher end one, so it's between the TD30K and the DTX750K. I'm going to try to find somewhere close to try them out asap, but does anyone have any advice on the two?
    You DEFINITELY want to try them first, and probably for more than just a bit. I have very limited experience with E kits, but I know there can be a drastic difference in the feel of them. Then I'd look at set up options between the two, & maybe add on options. Good luck!

4. Registered User

I'm in this exact process. A 2box module with an acoustic to electric conversion will cost less, sound leagues better and feel like a real kit (minus the mesh heads of course). I am converting (just started last night) a 10 12 14 18 13 (snare) 16 18 20 cymbals and a pair of 14" hats. With the conversion kit, a gibraltar rack, the module, cymbals , imperialstars and heads I'm under 3k. 2box uses real samples and gives you the ability to upload vst kits and sample directly into the brain. Roland and Yamaha are more like drum synths , the 2box is a sample machine and sounds way more realistic in my opinion. I plan on starting a thread detailing the whole process of converting an a kit. If not for wrong bracket sizes for the snare and three toms I could have finished everything in a few hours last night. Here are a few shots of the kick that I finished last night in like 35 mins.

Name:  20151127_221852.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  47.7 KB

Name:  20151127_222353.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  27.3 KB

Mapex Saturn IV 10 12 14 20 red blue hybrid sparkle for sale pm me.

5. Registered User

The kit in progress . I have all the Jacks wired and secured and the first sheet of vinyl in place on the 18. I'm waiting on brackets for the 4 drums but will just move along onto the cymbals while I wait.

Name:  20151128_195659.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  52.5 KB

Name:  20151127_194845.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  43.3 KB

6. Registered User

Jobeky would be your best bet in the UK.
    http://www.jobekydrums.co.uk/

7. Registered User

I have a TD-20, and I think it's great!! I have no experience with the Yamaha's so I can't offer an opinion on them. Like others have recommended..definitely try them both out and see what feels best. Let us know what you decide(with pics). Speaking of..do you have any pics of your Starclassics?? When I first started playing the drums, a blue Starclassic was the first high-end kit I had ever seen, and it was gorgeous. Probably the most beautiful kit I've ever seen...
    Anyhoo, good luck with your decision. Let us know what you choose, take care!
    KG

8. Registered User

Here is the 16" crash with the vinyl dampening sheet applied. Next I will mount the bow and Bell trigger and then the choke clamp.Name:  20151128_203424.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  57.0 KB

Name:  20151128_204400.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  41.3 KB

9. A Passion Play ...

Hello gaffro, E-kits are great fun as long as you understand they are limited in feel compared to acoustic drums.
    Post some pictures of your electronic rig when you get it. Have fun and get back to some drumming !!!
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

10. Blücher!

I started with a Yamaha DTX562K, and have added on to it over the past couple of years. I use my actual hi-hat stand rather than the one that came with the DTX, and upgraded the rack to a Gibraltar. I've also added a 12" snare (refurb XP120SD) and a 10"(refurb XP100T) that I'm using as a second floor tom. The original 3 XP70s are my rack toms, and the XP80 moved from the snare to first floor tom position. For the cymbals, I added a PCY155 as a ride, and a couple of used PCY90ATs as china and splash. The PCY135s are now my crash cymbals. I found a used DTX500 module that I'm using for additional cymbals. It has a MIDI connector output, which allows me to run both modules--the 502 via USB, and 500 via MIDI--to my Mac where I run Superior Drummer for the drum samples. It's a great set up, and I believe I have spent less than I would've had I bought the standard 750.
    "It doesn't matter if it is good, it only matters if it rocks." -- Tenacious D.

The DLX
    The MLX
    Gretsch Broadkaster

11. Registered User

Wow J Kuhl, that's an insane and awesome project! I will definitely look into that route, although space is pretty tight, so a full kit might not be an option... The 18 10 12 14 plus snare idea could be a possibility do you have to do anything to she shells (drilling etc.) for the conversion? Only other problem is that I'm in a shared terrace house, so the kit has to be as quiet as possible, so I imagine I'll still have to use electronic cymbals, which is pretty disappointing. Unless they're quiet enough? I have no experience with them!

I agree that I need to try them all out, annoyingly one shop only stocks low end kits and the new PMT here in Cardiff has only just opened, so they don't have anything up. There's another further away that does up to mid range electronic kits, so I'm thinking of heading over and seeing if I can try the highest end kits they have.

Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post
    I have a TD-20, and I think it's great!! I have no experience with the Yamaha's so I can't offer an opinion on them. Like others have recommended..definitely try them both out and see what feels best. Let us know what you decide(with pics). Speaking of..do you have any pics of your Starclassics?? When I first started playing the drums, a blue Starclassic was the first high-end kit I had ever seen, and it was gorgeous. Probably the most beautiful kit I've ever seen...
    Anyhoo, good luck with your decision. Let us know what you choose, take care!
    KG
    Thanks for the input! I'll give them all a try asap and let everyone know what I decide there should be pictures of my Starclassic in my sig. (although possibly a bit out of date!). It's probably my favourite finish I've ever had on a kit, so I'm gutted to let it go realistically it'll be years until I can play it again though, and by that point I might be able to justify treating myself to something a bit more custom, which would be awesome! It's also not perfect size-wise, I'd like a shorter bass drum at least!

Now to work out if I can still even play... I'll be rusty and I'll have to work out some new technique!

12. Registered User

Just read a suggestion of using Superior Drummer along with an electric kit. Does anyone know if/how this works? Could be an option!