Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. Experienced Noob

Quote Originally Posted by FL Drummer View Post
    That looks great, I really like the stealth racks. You can see the finish much better know.

How's it sounding after playing on it for a while? Thoughts?
    I finished the new set up last night but won't be able to take new pictures until Friday or so. I can tell you that I love the new look. As for sound, the kick & floor toms sound exactly like my Refs because they are in the old Ref specs. I loved how those drums sounded so there was no need messing with that formula, in my opinion. The toms have pretty close to the same attack that my Ref toms have but (and I apologize for not being able to come up with a better analogy) the sound is just more rounded during their decay. I guess I'd say they are a little more mellow sounding than the Refs, but in a very good way. I just LOVE how those toms sound.

The 13" snare is in Ref specs. I did that because I really liked my 14 x 5 Ref snare as a side snare but wanted to try a 13. It sounds how I expected - lots of attack but a little higher pitched than the Ref. The 14 x 8 snare was modeled after my Vinnie Paul snare, but with the inner 2 plies made of Mahogany instead of maple (the VP snare is 6 thin plies of maple). I like the tone of the drum but think I made a mistake in putting an Aquarian Focus X on it. It has no ring whatsoever. It's the driest (note, it's not dead at all, just very dry) sounding snare I've ever owned. I'm going to swap that head out for a new Texture Coated with Power Dot head I have sitting around to see how that affects the sound. During my time without a kit I practiced on my Sensitone Premium brass & Yamaha Sensitive Snare & they really came to enjoy their liveliness. I'm thinking adding a little ring to this drum will just make it perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by opus138 View Post
    I'm all for stealth racks and the like, but I don't get it in this case? Man, you were happy with the setup you had -- it was comfortable and worked for you -- but you changed it because a bunch of forum folks? Dude, this kit is never leaving the house, there's no one to see the finish, so what difference does it make?
    There's a couple reasons why I did this, neither of which fall on external criticisms of my set up. First , I am just one of those people that can't seem to quit while I am ahead. I'll keep tinkering just for the sake of tinkering, to hear my wife say it. Secondly, & most importantly, I really didn't like how the front rack bar dominated the view of my drums every time I looked at them. It never bothered me much with my old Refs but on this kit it just stuck out like a sore thumb.

You are correct that this kit will not likely make its way to a stage but that doesn't mean I don't want it to look as appealing as possible to me, every time I look at it. The new set up helps me achieve that.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by opus138 View Post
    I'm all for stealth racks and the like, but I don't get it in this case? Man, you were happy with the setup you had -- it was comfortable and worked for you -- but you changed it because a bunch of forum folks? Dude, this kit is never leaving the house, there's no one to see the finish, so what difference does it make?
    He is going to see finish, after spending all that energy and money picking it out.

3. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

That's a unique take on a classic finish. It looks pretty good, man. I can't blame you for wanting to drop the rack; out of view and out of mind. Plus stealth racks are pretty cool right now.

4. Experienced Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    That's a unique take on a classic finish. It looks pretty good, man. I can't blame you for wanting to drop the rack; out of view and out of mind. Plus stealth racks are pretty cool right now.
    Thanks for the compliments.

Truly, my reason for doing this was to take the focus off the big bars. It's not in my general nature to do whatever is currently in. Heck, I may be the only person on the planet who bought this number of drums in the last year yet none was a gong drum. This stealth rack business is just really smart and worked out well for what I wanted to achieve.

Note: I'm not knocking gong drums - they are cool, just not necessary or practical for me.

5. Experienced Noob

So my brother-in-law finally made it over today & took almost 200 pictures of the kit in the new set up. The following are some of my favorites.

Note: The original post has been updated with the current hardware specs. A lot of changes to the hardware list occurred with the new set up. Also, I decided to go with 1 ride cymbal, currently the K Custom Dark Ride . I still have the K Custom Hybrid Ride for use when it would work better.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

6. Experienced Noob

And more:

7. Experienced Noob

Last couple:

8. Formerly 'BRX rad'

I've said it before, but wow... such a killer finish and setup. Love those shots, they came out great. The finish really shows up nicely in them. Can't wait to hear some recordings of that beast. Congrats again Mike!

9. Registered User

Hot damn that kit is awesome.

10. Registered User

The fade looks so cool, amazing kit man!
    Shadeland on Facebook | Shadeland Youtube Channel

Red Sparkle Haloflake Masterworks - 10x7|12x8|16x14|22x16|14x7.5
    Pearl Masters MCX - 10x8|12x8|16x14|22x16|14x6.5 Pearl Tico Torres FF
    OLD - Pearl Reference Shimmer of Oz | Tama Starclassic B/B Lava Glass Glitter | Gretsch Renown

11. Registered User

Nice job on the setup. Front of the kit looks great!

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    Hot damn that kit is awesome.
    X2