Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Registered User

What's gonna happen is some poor bloke with a Virgin kick & unported resonANT head will accidentally plug the vent hole, try to play and his leg will get blown off from the explosion. That don't sound like much fun to me!

But honestly I want an all virgin kit!

2. Registered User

wow
    this has taken some epic proportions. do continue. But I must agree. I would not put a BB3 on an acrylic shell. Anyways I like virgin bass drum so acrylic or not i would not want a BB3 full stop
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way"
    Buddy Rich

3. Drummer since 1963

Not a huge difference to my ears. I've never had a virgin kick but I've never desired one either unlike wanting 6 ply maple shells, suspension mounting, low mass lugs, etc., when I didn't have those things.

4. At the copa.....copacabana

Quote Originally Posted by Gord The Drummer View Post
    That's actually not what that says at all. Conjecture is - 2 year warranty, no snare, no bb3 = weak shells. I've already shown you that they did have BB3's on them back in the 70's, so I don't believe the acrylic shells are too weak to support the BB3. You refuse to recognize that, and state Pearl must have weaker shells now than they did in the 70's, or the 70's shells warped/broke? FYI - That kit is from a Pearl forum member. You could probably ask them about it. You quoted Pearl's own words, and I am skeptical of those, nothing you've said in regards to those. I don't know how they could make them 'stronger' without making them thicker... that's really the only way. Your bias against Pearl is pretty strong there champ.
    Offt. Intense discussion.

Personally there's no way CB Shell could handle the weight of two rack toms.

That's just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwdrummer1991 View Post
    And I don't care if you don't like my drumming. I challenge anyone on this forum to a drum-off right now! I have played so long and studied so many different genres of music that I am absolutely proficient with pretty much anything I choose to do.

5. Is this Illidan?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunk-a-hunk-a-burning-love View Post
    Personally there's no way CB Shell could handle the weight of two rack toms.

That's just my opinion.
    .... And the facts prove it wrong? Original Crystal Beat kits had BDM mounted toms, the kick drums can take the weight, unless they made the new CB kits weaker than the originals.

What, do you guys think that kit is photoshopped? Do I need to go grab the catalogue for you? Tama also mounted theirs through the bass drum, as did Ludwig. ALL of the manufacturers mounted their toms to the kicks in the vintage Acrylics. They don't now. It has more to do with looks/what is in style than whether or not the drums could take the weight, they absolutely can.

6. Banned

.... And the facts prove it wrong? Original Crystal Beat kits had BDM mounted toms, the kick drums can take the weight, unless they made the new CB kits weaker than the originals.
    Maybe they learned from the few years they produced the originals? There's no possible way that, 30 years later, the improvements made to prevent the acrylic polymer from clouding and getting all nasty-like has the unfriendly side-effect of making it more brittle?

What, do you guys think that kit is photoshopped? Do I need to go grab the catalogue for you?
    No need, let me help:

Notice the snare drum? Would be pretty easy to manufacture a modern cb snare, right? Wonder why they don't?

7. Is this Illidan?

Quote Originally Posted by opus138 View Post
    Maybe they learned from the few years they produced the originals? There's no possible way that, 30 years later, the improvements made to prevent the acrylic polymer from clouding and getting all nasty-like has the unfriendly side-effect of making it more brittle?
    I'd actually be curious about this myself. Seems like a can't have your cake and eat it too situation if that is the case. Interesting to find out if this is the case though.

Notice the snare drum? Would be pretty easy to manufacture a modern cb snare, right? Wonder why they don't?
    I'd also be curious about that. They introduced the FF shell, maybe strategic product exclusion?

8. Is this Illidan?

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  90.0 KB

While not offering it to everyone, gong bass on the Crystal Beat. That's a through-shell option with as much/more force on the shell as toms.

Name:  cbfr1.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  222.5 KB

9. Drumming Since 1943

While not offering it to everyone, gong bass on the Crystal Beat. That's a through-shell option with as much/more force on the shell as toms.

Yeah, but the difference is that if ES's kicks crack, Tony LaCroix just makes him new ones and FedEx's them to wherever he happens to be in the world. If it happens to any of us... well, back to the practice pad!!!
    Way Too Much Crap

10. Drumming Since 1943

And shouldn't C00p3rDrUMM3r wade into this thread to give his expert opinion on acrylic shell construction? He has, after all, gotten 4,993,274,293 hits on YouTube. He may even be "viral".
    Way Too Much Crap

11. Banned

While not offering it, period.

Also at NAMM, the 'gong drum' version used the newly introduced PMBDL3/C accessory, not a mount.

It's already well known that those are not CB shells.

12. Is this Illidan?

While not offering it, period.

Also at NAMM, the 'gong drum' version used the newly introduced PMBDL3/C accessory, not a mount.
    Yup. I'm not saying you can buy it off the shelf, just that it does exist. I'd actually be interested in Pearl Japan's offering as they usually seem to have more than us. That being said, this is a shot from Musikmesse.

It's already well known that those are not CB shells.
    Absolutely. But they are new acrylics, and they do have toms mounted into the kick drums which are not 'offered' by anyone. The point is that they are strong enough, not that you can get them.