Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 87 of 89 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889 LastLast
Results 1,033 to 1,044 of 1068
  1. old dog, new tricks

...MAJOR UPDATE...

The kit is done. I can't really believe it, to be honest. It feels slightly surreal but I just played my hand built drum kit for the first time. I got the floor tom all put together and took her for the maiden voyage.

It's been a long time, endless learning, countless hours, a few mistakes, years of saving money, help from friends and a welcome donation of some much needed mounts from forum member TWH and it's at long last complete.

At least, as far as the drums are concerned. Now I have to start saving for cymbals and hardware I'm thinking of getting a stealth rack for the floor tom side as it would support the 12" tom, the ride, a crash and a china, eventually. A single stand on the hi-hat side will support the 10" tom, a crash and a splash. The hi-hats in the pics are mine, along with the K Custom ride but the crash belongs to a buddy.

Anyways, here are some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

2. old dog, new tricks

cont'd pics. Feels pretty good to complete such a large project. I think I'll get pizza to celebrate
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

3. Rogue Ex-Mod

Awesome!!! Congrats Jeff! You did an amazing job with that kit.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

4. Drumming Since 1943

Can you describe the overall sound? Punchy? Warm? Bright?
    Way Too Much Crap

5. old dog, new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Can you describe the overall sound? Punchy? Warm? Bright?
    the main words that comes to mind is tonal purity. They are so clear, yet warm, punchy yet sweet, lots of attack yet buttery... the kick has tons of boom and low end that kicks you in the gut but retains warmth and body. When I first tuned the floor tom and struck it with a stick, it resonated for almost 20 seconds, no flap, no weird dips, no bows, just pure tone. I've never really heard drums this pure before. I'm trying to be subjective but the only other guy who has played them said he's never heard a better sounding kit.

It's encouraging, to say the least, as this room is not great for tuning.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    the main words that comes to mind is tonal purity. They are so clear, yet warm, punchy yet sweet, lots of attack yet buttery... the kick has tons of boom and low end that kicks you in the gut but retains warmth and body. When I first tuned the floor tom and struck it with a stick, it resonated for almost 20 seconds, no flap, no weird dips, no bows, just pure tone. I've never really heard drums this pure before. I'm trying to be subjective but the only other guy who has played them said he's never heard a better sounding kit.

Awesome job! Absolute beautiful craftmanship and I know they sound as wonderful as they look!

7. Drumming Since 1943

If it’s anything like my snare you have yourself a collection of unbelievable drums.
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Registered User

Gimme some pancakes!!...

Many say that stave shells produce the best overall sound and tone because of the vertical grain, and the smaller amount of adhesive used. I've never played or heard one myself but that would actually make sense to me. The sound waves have an easier time traveling from top to bottom via the vertical (sap) grain. Kinda like when you run your hand across the surface of a piece of wood, there is allot of resistance. Run your hand vertically with the grain, and the resistance is much less and smoother. One of the days, my goal is to build stave shells, but for now, i'm happy just being a Keller painter....

Well done man, glad you put some of that hardware to use Jefe!!

9. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by TWH View Post
    Gimme some pancakes!!...

Many say that stave shells produce the best overall sound and tone because of the vertical grain, and the smaller amount of adhesive used. I've never played or heard one myself but that would actually make sense to me. The sound waves have an easier time traveling from top to bottom via the vertical (sap) grain. Kinda like when you run your hand across the surface of a piece of wood, there is allot of resistance. Run your hand vertically with the grain, and the resistance is much less and smoother. One of the days, my goal is to build stave shells, but for now, i'm happy just being a Keller painter....

The crack and tone of my Jeff-built stave snare canít be beat:
    Way Too Much Crap

10. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

You may be in danger of channeling your inner John Good. The kit looks outstanding all together. Really great work, bud. An awesome way to sum up years of effort.

11. Registered User

One of a kind! Beautiful set of drums.

12. old dog, new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by TWH View Post
    Gimme some pancakes!!...

from a woodworking perspective, grain definitely has a direction, that is true. I guess we can speculate on the rest

Being a "Keller painter" is what most 'custom' drum companies are and didn't DW start out using Keller shells? I put together a Keller kit for a buddy in the spring and it turned out great and sounds awesome. I would have no problem doing another for someone else or myself. In fact, I've given serious thought to adding a Keller 8" tom to my kit because I can't build one that small as no router would pass through the inside to be able to machine it. I could do it if I had a machine called a shaper, but they are thousands of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    You may be in danger of channeling your inner John Good. The kit looks outstanding all together. Really great work, bud. An awesome way to sum up years of effort.
    I had to remind myself who John Good is, but yeah, that did sound like something he's say